Brrrrr...
14 posts
8 users
1k+ views
Chad
November 15, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
crack-u-weather is forecasting a low temp of 53 today at snowshoe. the low temp tomorrow is 25, and every day for the rest of the 15-day forecast (through nov 29) shows lows in the 20s.
Chad
November 15, 2005
274 posts
snowshoes own forecast has a high of 25 on thursday, with lows in the teens.
BushwackerinPA
November 15, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Yeah Hopefully first Lift serviced turns of the season are sometime around the 25th!!!

Who going to springs for opening day whenever that is?

I wil ski that weekend no matter what even if it requires hiking again;).
jimmy
November 15, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
and this from Utah, mid-atlantic is in the hunt, UT resort opening dates
SeaRide
November 15, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Here's one from Snow-forecast.com snow (dust? / one inch total?) for Snowshoe on Wednesday (tomorrow)
and
same goes for Timberline (clicky)
Roger Z
November 15, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hey Crush (and everyone else)- I followed Jimmy's link and then went to "What's New" section and found this for The Canyons:

"400 MILLION DOLLAR EXPANSION PLAN: In the next 3 years, The Canyons Resort will continue its master expansion plan that will total more than 400 million dollars in improvements both on and off the mountain. Improvements will include new lifts, additional terrain, new lodging facilities, a golf course and continued development of The Canyons Resort Village. This vision is the result of the combined efforts of the many landowners at The Canyons Resort and American Skiing Company."

400 million dollars??? (insert Doctor Evil pinky-to-mouth expression here) That is 60% more than Intrawest has spent on Snowshoe. That is more than twice what it costs to build a high rise office builing. What are they planning to do, build a new town or something? Any info on what this is all about?
Crush
November 15, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Jimmy - Yup things are gearing up! Many resorts will be open this Thurs-Sat. We had a nice storm yesterday ... this morning was *great*! See look I am all ready for the season, with gear on !

... ooops wrong gear !

RodgerZ - This info has been played nearly every day on Park City TV via Katie Eldrige (Canyons Marketing head) and indeed it is really true.

For those of you returning to The Canyons this year the first thing you will notice is the current construction of THREE new developments ... Silverado, Escala, and something else that I can't get a handle on. Silverado is a full ownership condo ... a 260 sq ft efficiency went for about $170k and all condos sold out in two days. So they then are planning Phase II next year and they sold out already in one day (I tried to get one). Escala will be ski-in ski out off the Sunrise lift (ASC moved it just for Escala). That one is in the millions for ownership.

To match the above property expansions ASC has already talked about their expansion plans for The Canyons, and I already can see a clearing the new lift off of Dreamscape that goes down into The Colonies. The golf course (ASC, Westgate, Miner's Club and individual entities) I do believe is going in and ASC has allocated funds for that.

The Canyons/ASC is also planning significant upgrades to on-mountain amenities in an effort to address shortcommings such as on-mountain dining, etc. as well as additional lifts to take the burden off the Tombstone lift and possibly the Gondola. Terrain expansions are also in the works.

The base village is going to be re-vamped as well; I did once hear mention of an "ice facility" with ice skating and such but I think that may be on the back-burner.

The general perception from here at the base is that this location is the last area that can be reasonably expanded as a ski resort both in terms of resort real estate and terrain; ASC is trying to make it a world-class ski area and given time and $$$ they may do that. Refrains at The Canyons employee orientation meetings constantly repeat the new goal is to be only second to Deer Valley (oh boy ... a long way to go on that one).

Pragmatically? I know only this: I bought my little condo 2 years ago and the price has doubled. One-bedrooms that use to go for 90-100K are now selling for 209K.

All in all, I would say "yes" to your tongue-in-cheek comment about ASC "building a town"; that is basically what they are planning. I know they are involved in building "Frostwood" (yet another development) - luxury homes that will sit above The Miner's Club (timeshares). I think they will be ski-in, ski-out .

So we shall see!
Roger Z
November 15, 2005
2,181 posts
Uh, it's very hard to respond to that post because of the photo, I don't want you to mistake anything I write here as a compliment to your "ski gear." (way to ruin an otherwise scenic picture, Crush ).

That's pretty amazing expansion plans. Thanks for the info! Now the real question remains: when will Park City and The Canyons form a skiing interconnect like Snowbird/Alta and Brighton/Solitude? There is one ridge separating them- they should have a couple slopes and lifts criss-crossing and an interchangeable lift ticket, for Pete's sake.

Oh yeah, the weather is getting colder here on the east. Our "real" snow- manmade snow- should be able to crank into full gear by Thursday. I think it's pretty feasible to see some Thanksgiving openings in the Mid-Atlantic for the first time in three or four years! Amazing when you recall how warm this autumn has been...
Heather
November 15, 2005
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
I only have two things to say!

Great view of mountain in background!
Crush---you are one brave soul! not only for the picture, but the decorative ring also!
Crush
November 15, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
RogerZ - WHAT! No I really wear that when I powder ski! The snorkle keeps the snow out so I can breathe! And there are no wet ski outfits to bother with ... the swim suit dries out real quick lol !

Seriously - the "inter-link" between PCMR and The Canyons (and actually Deer Valley too perhaps) is another thing that I have seen circulating around for more than a bit. IMHO There are several issues around it (LDS chruch-owned land, privately held land, isolationist attitudes of all three resort) and I doubt seriously if it will happen within the next 10 years. Each resort thinks they are "the bomb" in their niches, and I bet would be unwilling to outlay capital for a joint project.
Roger Z
November 15, 2005
2,181 posts
Sounds like its time for an economic developer with unlimited eminent domain authority and absolutely no ethics to step in and clear this up... make room Crush, I'm comin' over to solve this problem!
Chad
November 15, 2005
274 posts
looks like a sunny forecast in utah...

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15d...60&metric=0

perhaps we will be skiing/riding out here first?
Chad
November 16, 2005
274 posts
now inaccu-weather has low temps at mercersburg, pa at or below freezing EVERY DAY THROUGH THE END OF NOVEMBER. COME ON WHITETAIL! LETS GET IT ON!

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15d...36&metric=0
snowcone
November 16, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
I recommend you check the National Weather Service. NWS/NOAA only does 1 weeks worth because it's nigh impossible to forecast with any accuracy much beyond 5-6 days. Accunever is just that ... they love to hype extremes. All weather services will adjust day be day as the week progresses but accuweather seems to do a whole bunch more 'adjusting' than NWS and even Weather.com.

So ... going with the other weather services, they indicate daytime temps of low to mid 40s, nighttime high 20s to low 30s for Mercersburg for the rest of the week. There is supposed to be another cold shot next week so Whitetail, 7S, Wisp etc should be able to blow a decent, albeit soggy, base by T-day.

Finally, my SI says that since he sold his rock skis, and he has no intention of scaring up his 5 stars, there had better be a substantial storm that can lay down 4-6" of the real stuff before he puts p-tex to mother earth. He might just get lucky as there is talk of a snow 'event' 23-25 of Nov for our area.

Fingers crossed and praying to ullr.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.