Can it be?
18 posts
13 users
4k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I just checked Accuweather for Snowshoe and it is predicting a fairly significant snow event on the night of the 12. There will also be some snow on the night of the 10th, but not much accumulation, if any.
snowcone
December 9, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Oh yeah! ... all of the independent forecasters, like Dave over at WxRisk, are predicting a dump on Sunday thru Monday from the low coming thru here over the weekend. The I95 corridor will get rain but mountains of WV, PA will get a good dose of lake effect snow .. somewhere in the 4-10" range, maybe more. Another snow event is forecast for the 14-15th of the month and that one is slated to leave some of the white stuff in the DC area. Along with that low, the temp will drop like a stone with dailies 15-20 degrees below normal. Looks like the next week most people will be able to get out for some 1st turns.
Chad
December 9, 2004
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
jimmy
December 9, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
YEAH, bring it on

johnfmh, I must compliment you on your recent behavior. Not one wimper or whine about those six stars standing in the corner next to your fully packed boot bag ready to go on a moments notice. Very impressive example of patience and self restraint!

jimmy
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

YEAH, bring it on

johnfmh, I must compliment you on your recent behavior. Not one wimper or whine about those six stars standing in the corner next to your fully packed boot bag ready to go on a moments notice. Very impressive example of patience and self restraint!

jimmy

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.
SkiBumMSP
December 9, 2004
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

YEAH, bring it on

jimmy
Quote:

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

I feel your pain. I got those 5 brand-new stars that I cannot wait to get out on the slopes myself! Ohh, the agony......
powderpig
December 9, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
The boss man has given me the go ahead to switch my leave from tomorrow to Monday (gotta love a boss that skis!) so looks like I could be making my first turns Monday and Tuesday. Anyone else going to be around?
jimmy
December 10, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sorry guys, but I couldn't help myself. I went through this myself, all my ski buddies blamed me for the late start of the 01/02 season. I bought new ski's in November, didn't get to use them until dec 22. Took many days of "therapy" to realize I wasn't personally responsible.

jimmy CSP
langleyskier
December 10, 2004
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
All i hope is that it covers whitetail, liberty, or roundtop!
ICEHOCEY77
December 10, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
17 posts
My last exam is on Saturday, so I'll be looking to be up at snowshoe on tuesday
Roger Z
December 10, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Not to damper enthusiasm here, but my step-father just wrote me that Solitude is now reporting 237 inches of snow so far this season. It's not even officially winter and they've already surpassed Snowshoe's seasonal average by several feet. Criminy. I mean, I know Utah gets way more snow than we do but this is ridiculous...
Crush
December 10, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Ummm yeah RogerZ I refrain from "rubbing it in" but it is true actually Wed and Thur we had a storm total of about a foot per day ... Wed was light and de-lite, Thurs was a little heavy but a bevy of fun. Today I have to take a day off because I am worn out from two days of awesome powder skiing (aww too bad what a baby). I might point out that me and my G/F's first day of skiing was Oct. 30 at Brighton and then soon after Solitude ... Now through the next 6 days it will be blue-bird skies with lots of base and everybody is 100% open as of this weekend. I took this shot out my window at The Canyons today ...

PS ... if any of you are docs or lawyers go to:
http://www.aeiseminars.com/lp-cme.asp?idpage=35
you can take my class in computers for CAT-1 CME credits at Park City and you know write it all off as a tax deduction and ski awesome stuff NOW! Tell 'em Eric in Park City sent ya! And I can show you all the local lines-n-finds!
kennedy
December 10, 2004
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
where is the little green graemlin for envy. I am jonesing so very hard. My friend moved back from Frisco CO a few months back and she is seriously hurting. She lived 10 minutes from Breck and about 20 from Vail. I have a coworker i.e. boss that has a house right beside Big Sky and 20 minutes from Jackson, he says he's going out 1 or 2 times a month for the season. I want to cry
Crush
December 10, 2004
1,271 posts
Funny U should say that about Breck... my student today said that he thought Breck and The Canyons were very similar in that you can find your little stashes that are all yours and you can have a ski town (in this case Park City) there at your doorstep. Hmmm I skied The Breck and loved it too ... but I think the lift system is a little odd there but still it was awesome!!!!! ;-)
andy
December 10, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Hey Mr Z, 1" of snow translates to 4" of wet stuff or 20"'s of Utah powder at 15 degrees.So what am i saying?The snowflakes are prettier in West Va? Hey just had to jump in here..my computer has been down for a while..had to get my DCSKI fix.Funny piece on the mountain masher uproar!They are calling for 5' of snow above 4000' here in North carolina this weekend so the west va & laurel highlands should be picking up a few more than that.Skied Hunter Mtn over Thanksgiving got rained out the next day at Windham.The catskills def work!
JohnL
December 11, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Andy,

I think you owe us a trip report on the Catskills. Otherwise, I'll be tossing salamanders out of my pocket on every ski run and hike I do in West Virginia. I'll be sure to plant one or two on top of your statue.
andy
December 11, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Hey JL,I'm like a 3 trick pony(RogerZ described some posters as 1 trick pony"s)I would not do a report on a ski area right...but here is a quick version..cuz the salamander part really scares me!For all the bad weather they had experienced leading up to T-giving w-end Hunter mountain managed to have 2 top to bottom runs open for the day we skied there.One was the belt parkway..a blue cruiser that wrapped around the main mountain & the other was a narrow black named Hellgate from the top that a third of the way down opened up to a wide open blue named 7th ave & then connected to Kennedy dr to the bottom.1 express quad to the top & a slower 0ne that went 3/4 of the way up.The conditions were packed powder with a couple of shaved off areas that kept you alert! Perfect for a end to a long summer down here in the southland.Stayed at the Kopper Kettle motel near the base of windham($60 early season rate)Hade a cool bar with pool table & attached restaurent.To bad they cannot expand over to Hunter mtn proper(you ski on a side knob)It reminds me of Mount porte crayon!!Must be some salamanders over there also!! PS $30 lift tickets & all the hype about Ny skiers was almost correct...Very aggressive but also compassionate.
Crush
December 11, 2004
1,271 posts
Rite-on my cousin! Ski when you can and what you can and it is all good. By God ... can ski turns be Holy! I think So!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.