CV webcam link
15 posts
5 users
5k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2006
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Last year someone posted a link to a webcam in which you could see the slopes of TL, WG, and CV. It looked like it was placed about halfway up the big hill enroute to Davis (is that Canaan Heights?).

Can someone repost the link please. I promise to get it bookmarked this time. I'm hoping there will be some white showing there this weekend.
wvrocks
November 17, 2006
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1 Here ya go. Look at the pretty snow

ps. I may have a link to a cam overlooking MPC in a week or so. Haven't finished building the website yet and still working out the bugs. It will have current weather info for the area too.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2006
2,337 posts
Thanks WVR. That does look nice.

However the view I am looking for is the one taken from about 5 miles away that shows the trails of TL, WG, and CV. It is more a reliable indicator of whether there is skiing to be had. If you can see white ribbons on the mountains, it's skiable. Flakes in the air with bare branches in the background is pretty indeed but doesn't tell much about skiable or not.
jimboc
November 17, 2006
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
its the same link - its just cloudy/foggy so you cant see the ski areas in the distance
wvrocks
November 17, 2006
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Thats the one. Its foggy and snowing.
Here's the 24 hr sequence. Note "Pristine Conditions" show the view you are looking for. http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/24.html
wvrocks
November 17, 2006
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
If you do lose it again its listed near the top of the Whitegrass site on the Daily Report page. USFS Canaan Web Cam
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2006
2,337 posts
Got it. Thanks.
fishnski
November 17, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Who are you working for...Bill Bright?? Talk to us (Almost heaven Supporters) Where will the cam be located? Pointy Knob has a weather station ...are you involved with them? Enquiring minds want to know!....WUZZZZ UPPP?!?
wvrocks
November 17, 2006
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Nope not working for Bright. Just have an interest in the weather. I'm located near the junction of RT 72 and RT 32. The station is at about 2840 ft. It currently reports to Weather Underground every 5 min. I'm trying to set up a stand alone site with the webcam and real time weather data. We have a good view of MPC and up the Red Creek drainage. I'll probably just point it at MPC though since thats the best view. We finally got DSL so now I can update things quickly.

The Pointy Knob station is a good bit higher than mine. I'm not sure if he has a view of MPC or a webcam for that matter. Its on wunderground.com too.
fishnski
November 17, 2006
3,530 posts
Rockman,We are Neighbors! I Just built a place across from the Golden Anchor! I started to use your PWS at the 32/72 junction a while back as my default location on weather underground & then your site petered out.....but its back! Well, then you see what I see when I stay at my place....one hell of a mountain!! A boulder...really..the whole roaring plains. Ok...do you want MPC to be developed?..I used to get angry at ""anti MPC' people,but I have just learned to "TRY" to respect their opinion.I'll bring you some free seafood from the NC coast if you can pull this off!
fishnski
November 17, 2006
3,530 posts
Well,your site just went back down again...just cked at 755pm 11-17-06..This is obviously a conspiracy by the granola crunchin, Salamander loving, Northern flying squirrel peepers & just plain PITA"S that frequent this site to sabatoge any plans to have a ski area built that any West Va & mid Atlantic person could be proud of.
fishnski
November 17, 2006
3,530 posts
Too strong for public consumption!....Deleted before Scott does!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Please provide web address for your weather site and cam.
Thank you,
The Colonel
wvrocks
November 17, 2006
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Colonel, the site with the cam isn't up yet. You can get to the weather data on www.wunderground.com type in 26263 as the zip and it should report the local conditions from my station. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you can click on the station to get more data. I'm hoping to get the webcam up and running some time this coming week.
fishnski
November 18, 2006
3,530 posts
Wvrocks,Never mind the Pita stuff...I'm actually a granola cruncher myself. Even though I was just joking around,I shouldn't have tried to inject politics into your purely technical & weather related post. I was pleasantly surprised to see your weather site pop up (much appreciated!) & I wish you the best on your cam link.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?