12 posts
6 users
6k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 8, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
That's beyond awesome!!! Many thanks.

PS Nice to see somewhere in the region where there is snow on the ground....

I wonder if Scott will add this web cam to his web cams page.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-08-2004).]

dmh
January 8, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
This is fantastic. I have missed the CVI webcam and this is even better.

Yes, this is definitely in the Heights looking south, more or less right down Cortland. I think I can see my house in Black Bear but need to look at it on my computer at home to be sure. Thanks for the link.

[This message has been edited by dmh (edited 01-08-2004).]

ski_guy_59
January 8, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
That is sweet! Help me get my bearings please...The ski area on the left is CV, and the one on far right is Timberline? I haven't been to the valley in six years, hard to remember exactly where things are.
jonjon
January 8, 2004
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
The one on the left is Timberline, Whitegrass is in the middle, and Canaan is on the far right -- if I'm not mistaken
(Anonymous)
January 8, 2004
I think that's correct - Timberline on the left, Whitegrass in the center, CV to the right. I think the Forest Service is referring to it as the Dolly Sods Webcam because it points into the Sods, not because it's actually located in the Sods.

In any case, it's mighty sweet that it's out there....and it gives weather info as well. No longer do we have to get the Elkins temp and subtract 8 degrees!

January 8, 2004
1,986 posts
The weather angle is cool--it gives temperature in celsius, relative humidity, and info on precipitation.

Timberline looks a lot taller and steeper in this image than CV, but in truth, there's only 150 feet of vertical difference between the two mountains. It just goes to show how pictures can be deceptive.

Also, I don't know why they are calling it a Dolly Sods webcam. The image is of the Canaan Valley and not of Dolly Sods...

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 01-08-2004).]

JR
January 8, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Check out the night cam
January 8, 2004
1,986 posts
No night skiing tonight, but check out the temperature:

16 Degrees.

It's 35 degrees now in downtown DC.

That's a nice delta...

(Anonymous)
January 8, 2004
Saddam bieng caught,joe gibbs back with the skins,this web cam wow! Happy new year Express quad at timberline? Ok,ok I'll put it out!
(Anonymous)
January 8, 2004
Hey john,I dont think you can see the bottom 100' vert because it is the beginner area off to the right & prob covered by trees.The main slopes are only about 700 vert.That has always been my gripe about cv ski area.You have to walk up some nice skiable terrain to get to their lifts.They had the opportunity to get more skiable vert when they leveled the old lodge.This is a very nice mtn that is not seeing its full potential.Wies knob is almost 4500' the canaan floor is 3300' & they basically have a solid 700' & that is it BOO!
(Anonymous)
January 9, 2004
I stumbled across this link at the Whitegrass site:

http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1

It's pretty awesome....check it out.

(Anonymous)
January 9, 2004
Pretty interesting. The camera itself seems to be located somewhere in the Canaan Heights area and not on the Sods proper. Thanks for the link.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.