7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
TerpSKI
July 5, 2006
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Hi everyone. Long time no chat.

I'm thinking about getting up to CV and do some biking and general relaxation. I see on the Canaan Valley Resort web site that they have a golf course and am thinking about playin' a round while we're up there. Has anyone played this course? Any thoughts about the track?
tommo
July 5, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
It's a pretty terrific course. Wide open for the most part, but quite loonnggg as well. Some really pretty holes, though, and more elevation change then you'd expect for that part of the valley.

I played an incredibly memorable round there on a Friday last year - it was about 60 degrees and the course had just opened. Went skiing at Canaan in the AM (please note the Ski tie in, ed.) and then played a late evening round. The green on the course with the white on the mountain, clear sky and stunning sunset were quite a combination for the mid-atlantic. It was like playing out west. I even played well. It's a fine walking course, too. Highly recommended!
yellowsnow
July 5, 2006
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
It's a pretty nice 'resort' course...plenty wide open and caters to the vacation hacker. Amazingly flat for what one might expect in the mountains of WV. An easy walk.
Now with that said, number 9 is a very cool hole, but quite the killer par 5 with woods, dogleg, and an approach shot that's a forced carry to the green! Great hole!
You'll enjoy it I think, just don't expect Congressional or Caves Valley!
Dave
langleyskier
July 5, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I've also heard that it is a really great corse. I believe that it was designed be some famous corse designer as part of a great depression program to employ people (anyone know what i am talking about?). I have not personally played the corse but would love to get up there and do some biking, fishing, and golfing. Also, i was looking at their weather the other day and when we were sitting at a hot and humid 95 degrees (i live in mclean) Davis, WV was at a cool 79!!
jimmy
July 5, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Yup, how about i think it's 7, long par 3 over the water. That's a real tester too. It is a nice walk, walked the front, don't think i've been on the back.
TerpSKI
July 6, 2006
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will make a tee time!

Do any of you remember if it was crowded when you played?
yellowsnow
July 6, 2006
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
I've seen it both ways, but it often fills up in the vacation season, so a tee time is definitely recommended.
The alternative is Holly Meadows in Parsons...soooo...just make sure you get on at CV!
Hope you enjoy it!
Dave

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.