Some questions for DCSki readers
35 posts
15 users
24k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
April 16, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Each summer brings the opportunity to enhance DCSki, and I have some questions I'd like to pose to DCSki readers. I recognize that there are a lot of readers who do not post to the forums, and also lots of readers who only frequent the site when it's winter (I know, a shock!) -- so I might not get a representative sample of input. But, feel free to chime in on any of the following question.

(1) How actively do you use DCSki Weather? Do you pay attention to the weather section of DCSki's home page? How often do you click through to read the full weather page? What aspects of the Weather page do you like the most, or the least? Or do you not get weather from DCSki at all? How would you feel if DCSki did not have any weather information?

(2) Same set of questions for DCSki Conditions. Do you view snow condition reports on DCSki? (I'm talking specifically about the DCSki Conditions page or resort profile pages, where you can view current conditions such as trail counts, base depth, surface, etc. for specific resorts.)

(3) What part of DCSki do you find most valuable? Least valuable?

(4) Do you use the DCSki Bargain Tracker? Any comments on it?

(5) Do you use the DCSki Event Schedule? Any comments on it?

(6) Do you use the DCSki Lodging Finder? Any comments on it?

(7) Do you like or dislike DCSki's home page? When you view DCSki's home page, what aspects of the home page do you view first -- or the most -- or not at all?

(8) How often do you browse DCSki Resort Profiles?

(9) How often do you use the "Search DCSki" box on the main page of DCSki? If you have used Search, have you been able to find articles that matched your criteria?

(10) How often do you patronize DCSki advertisers? Do you find DCSki ads to be relevant and useful, or annoying?

(11) How often do you read DCSki news articles? Do you believe that DCSki offers value by having original news articles in addition to interactive features such as the Message Forums?

(12) Are you aware that you can browse recent news article comments, and if so, how often do you do this?

(13) What other ski sites do you frequent? Why do you visit DCSki in addition to these other sites?

(14) If you could change one thing about DCSki, what would it be and why?

(15) Similar to above, if you could add one new feature, what would it be? If you could subtract one feature you consider extraneous, what would that be?

Thanks!

- Scott
therusty
April 17, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Uh - oh - I'm a bad boy...

(1) How actively do you use DCSki Weather? Do you pay attention to the weather section of DCSki's home page? How often do you click through to read the full weather page? What aspects of the Weather page do you like the most, or the least? Or do you not get weather from DCSki at all? How would you feel if DCSki did not have any weather information?
I don't use DCSKI weather and would not miss it. I use weather.com and accuweather.

(2) Same set of questions for DCSki Conditions. Do you view snow condition reports on DCSki? (I'm talking specifically about the DCSki Conditions page or resort profile pages, where you can view current conditions such as trail counts, base depth, surface, etc. for specific resorts.)
I don't use it and would not miss it. I use the resort web sites or ami news.

Forums most valuable. Weather is least valuable.

No. But I guess I should look at it.

No, but I ought to.

No
(7) Do you like or dislike DCSki's home page? When you view DCSki's home page, what aspects of the home page do you view first -- or the most -- or not at all?
Not bad. I look for new articles.

You've got resort profiles on here? (just kidding) I think I looked at them once.

(9) How often do you use the "Search DCSki" box on the main page of DCSki? If you have used Search, have you been able to find articles that matched your criteria?
never

(10) How often do you patronize DCSki advertisers? Do you find DCSki ads to be relevant and useful, or annoying?
I work for SnowTime. Is that patronizing enough?

(11) How often do you read DCSki news articles? Do you believe that DCSki offers value by having original news articles in addition to interactive features such as the Message Forums?
Every now and then. Yes!

(12) Are you aware that you can browse recent news article comments, and if so, how often do you do this?
No and only by accident.

(13) What other ski sites do you frequent? Why do you visit DCSki in addition to these other sites?
Tons of sites. Epicski.com for the forums. Visit DC ski looking for local people I can help.

Get more people involved. The more the merrier.

(15) Similar to above, if you could add one new feature, what would it be? If you could subtract one feature you consider extraneous, what would that be?
ADD - spellcheck - see the new PSIA forum software for an exmaple
SUBTRACT - weather
kennedy
April 17, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm going to second Rusty but I usually only read DCSki's website. Forums most important, weather least. I tend to read most articles, at least to some degree. Forum is by far the best part of the site. I use the resort profiles maybe once or twice a season.
tskski
April 17, 2006
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
1.I usually check the weather information on the home page, but that's it. Wouldn't really miss it.

2.Never checked the DCSki conditions page.

3.Forums are most important to me. Could do without the weather or condition reports.

4.Yes, I do use the bargin tracker occassionally. It has been helpful.

5.Yes. it has made me aware of events I would haven't known about otherwise. The links to other websites are helpful.

6.No

7.Nice homepage. Like to read the news articles.

8.I do use them. It's a good place to get link to the resort itself. We ski in PA alot and have used it to research PA resorts.

9.Not very much.

10.Don't really pay much attention to the advertisements.

11.The news articles are the first thing I check. I enjoy reading them and think they are important part of DCSki.

12.I always read the comments.

13.RSN and First Tracks. DCSki has alot of local information.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Roy
April 18, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
(1) How actively do you use DCSki Weather? Do you pay attention to the weather section of DCSki's home page? How often do you click through to read the full weather page? What aspects of the Weather page do you like the most, or the least? Or do you not get weather from DCSki at all? How would you feel if DCSki did not have any weather information? I look at the home page and see the current weather. That's it. I would miss it if it was gone but more for nostalgic reasons.

(2) Same set of questions for DCSki Conditions. Do you view snow condition reports on DCSki? (I'm talking specifically about the DCSki Conditions page or resort profile pages, where you can view current conditions such as trail counts, base depth, surface, etc. for specific resorts.) I use in conjunction with looking at the mountain website.

(3) What part of DCSki do you find most valuable? Least valuable? Most-Forums. Least-Desktop Photos

(4) Do you use the DCSki Bargain Tracker? Any comments on it? Never used

Never used
Never used
(7) Do you like or dislike DCSki's home page? When you view DCSki's home page, what aspects of the home page do you view first -- or the most -- or not at all? I look at the picture, current weather, then I look for articles to read, and then forum

(8) How often do you browse DCSki Resort Profiles? It's my first stop if I need info on comparing mountains. Probably once a week during ski season

(9) How often do you use the "Search DCSki" box on the main page of DCSki? If you have used Search, have you been able to find articles that matched your criteria? used sparingly. Results have been 50/50

(10) How often do you patronize DCSki advertisers? Do you find DCSki ads to be relevant and useful, or annoying? Annoying? No. For a website with Ads, this is definitely the most unobtrusive layout. Usefulness? Since most of us are already patrons to these mountains, they should target us for special days (1/2 off Mondays, etc.)

(11) How often do you read DCSki news articles? Do you believe that DCSki offers value by having original news articles in addition to interactive features such as the Message Forums? Always look for new news articles. I think many columnists have built a good reputation.

(12) Are you aware that you can browse recent news article comments, and if so, how often do you do this? If I read the articles, I always look at the comments.

(13) What other ski sites do you frequent? Why do you visit DCSki in addition to these other sites? DCSki is first. NCSki only when my buddy tells me there is a relevant article (and there never is anything relevant). RSN.com.

(14) If you could change one thing about DCSki, what would it be and why? Nothing comes to mind

Interactive trail maps
Rich
April 18, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
(1) Love it, set my default - would greatly miss it.

(2) Don't use it - have links directly to resorts

(3) forum

(4) no

(5) no

(6) no

(7) ok

(8) rarely

(9) never

(10) no

(11) no

(12) don't

(13) just resort homepages

(14) leave it alone

(15) I just use the weather and the forum.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 18, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
I use DCSKI weather about once every 2 weeks in season. I also use weather.com and accuweather.

I use it once a week in season and would miss it. I also use the resort web sites.

New articles and new msg forum posts/topics are the first things I check are for. Looking at the menu as a guide for add'l comments on this question I also regularly use many of the menu topics except: about, advertise, clubs, desktop photos, lodging, racing, support dcski, survey, tshirts, what's new, webcams. This is not to say those topics aren't useful.

Yes, I look at it about once every week or two in season. Some of its value relies on more input and updates from readers.

Yes, once in a while to find discounts, special events or ski area openings/activities.

No usually, but I'm mostly a day tripper to our local hills.
I like the headline photo and chronological list of recent articles. Menu is handy. I look for new articles.

I look at them a couple times a week during season.

I use it once in a while to mixed effect. It seems to give extra results unrelated to what I asked for, without the specificity I wanted.

Fairly often. I am part of their target audience. I ski and shop at these places. The ads are useful, although some become dated as season goes on.

Almost daily during heart of ski season. I enjoy contributing reports. The articles and forums definitely generate skier/rider enthusiasm and loyalty.

Yes, I do this often to look for comments from the peanut gallery.

Epicski.com, snowjournal.com, and occasionally others. Visit DC ski for local ski area info and lively discussion on wider topics.

I would echo: Get more people involved. The more the merrier.

ADD - I wonder how they compile that ski news feature on firsttracksonline.com? It's a pretty handy source for a wider range of ski news.
SUBTRACT - I guess the various DCSki search features could be improved.

Overall DCSki is a great offering! If you ever decide to take a sabbatical, winter around here won't be the same.
jimmy
April 23, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Scott SOOO many questions, sorry to not get to this sooner, hope this thread gets some more hits, least we can do for ya!

1) I pay attention to the weather section on the home page, hardly ever go to the full weather page. Use whitegrass & noaa for my weather.

2) Don't use it wouldn't miss it. Prefer to use resort profiles to link to the resort for their report. Only M/A resorts i bookmark are Tline and Whitegrass, use dcski to get the rest.

3) Message forum drives this site. I go there quite a bit . Enjoy the articles and comments on home page but why do you hide them below the picture of the week? Least valuable ?? Never looked at that survey until today.

4) Looked at bargain tracker couple of times this year.

5) No

6) No

7) Generally go directly to forums, when nothing's new there go back to home page to check out articles/new comments.

8) See #2, use these several times week during the season.

9) Never

10) Oh all the time, like the way they rotate.

11) Generally read them all, check for new reader comments when the forums are dead.

12) ????

13) epicski, tgr, skiutah, whitegrass. Only forum i post on is right here, i like it here, every ones so nice to me.

14) Love to see more forum activity, lurkers come in from the dark . Can you make the composer box a lot bigger?

15) Link to Conditions & Webcam at The Canyons so i can keep up with how the other half is living. I like to check out the webcams locally.

I agree that the *SEASON* wouldn't be the same without DCSki, thanks Scott!
fishnski
April 23, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
" epicski, tgr, skiutah, whitegrass. Onlyforum i post on is right here, i like it here, every ones so nice to me!" ......AWWWW Ain't you special.....YOU MUDDAH!...Your posts suck you friggin Non skiing, Drunk Mo Fo!! ....
jimmy
April 24, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
LMFAO see that's what i mean, everyone's so nice here , funny too.
warren
April 24, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Jimmy,
OK everyone....group hug

-Warren-
Crush
April 24, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
LOL .. I wuz thinkin' something a little more wicked ...
jimmy
April 24, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
OK, Now i have another question for DCSki readers, what is your favorite flavor of Ben & Jerry's ice cream? Mine is Phish Food .
Crush
April 24, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
... hee hee Coffee Heath Bar crunch. Or Enverything But (the Kitchen Sink) ... it's a toss-up!
Scott - DCSki Editor
April 24, 2006
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Favorite all-time favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor:

"KaBerry KABOOM!"

I lived on that stuff one summer.

But alas, the flavor was quickly retired to the Ben & Jerry's graveyard.

The description: "Stripes of strawberry and blueberry ice cream with white fudge and cracklin' candies."

So good. So sad it's gone.
kennedy
April 25, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'm with you Jimmy, Phish Food is dominant.
Heather
April 25, 2006
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
By far the best is Karmel Sutra...And I don't really like ice cream!
Rich
April 25, 2006
194 posts
I hate "stuff" in my ice cream. Do they make vanilla or coffee or some flavor without stuff in it?
kennedy
April 25, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
"Stuff" is key. Thats like saying banana bread is better without walnuts, unless you're deathly allergic to them that is. BTW I recently tried my hand at making banana bread and I have to say I'm awesome at it. My sweet tooth comes up with some great concoctions. Last night we only had plain vanilla icecream in the house but a spoonful of Nutella, a handful of walnuts and blend it together, pretty good. I also make a mean bread puding involving copius amounts of rum, yarrrrr.
warren
April 25, 2006
485 posts
Kennedy,
Ok, let's just skip all of the other stuff and get straight to the rum!

-Warren-
kennedy
April 25, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I also make a traditional Christmas pudding every year. Irish recipe. There is so much alcohol in it that it will keep for a whole year without going bad. All the fruit in it is soaked in rum or whiskey for 24 hours until it's saturated. When it's made you let it sit for at least month to "ferment" then when you eat it gets a bit af a buzz going. Great stuff.
jimmy
April 25, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sounds as good as that Magic Brownie ice cream Aaron had on his spring break . Wonder what kinda stuff they put in that, Rich?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 25, 2006
2,963 posts
I think my favorite is: Fossil Fuel' - Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Chocolate Cookie Pieces, Fudge Dinosaurs & a Fudge Swirl, but I would be extremely happy with a dozen other flavors.
Here's a description of some of the more famous Ben and Jerry flavors: http://store.benjerry.com/icecreambyma.html ; and yes Rich, you can get plain choc, van, or coffee.
About 11 years ago I went skiing one day at Wildcat Ski Area in NH. Afterwards, I had dinner in North Conway and then me and a buddy each bought an ice cream cone to eat while we strolled outside the historic train station in the center of town. I can't remember if it was Ben and Jerry's ice cream. But there was a weird thing I do remember. I've had a lot of ice cream over the years, too much, but until that night I don't think I ever tried to leisurely eat/lick a cone of ice cream while outside in 10 degree temperatures. The stuff never melted. It was almost like biting into an apple, rather than an ice cream cone.
This is evolving into the WICKEDLY BAD FOR YOU FOOD THREAD.
Nutella (first mentioned in this thread by Kennedy) is a chocolaty hazelnut spread. I think this stuff is more common in Europe than the US. It is like chocolate cake frosting in a jar: http://www.nutellausa.com/ It's over the top good. On my 2003 Austrian ski trip I would snitch pocket packs of it and a couple croissants out of the breakfast buffet at my hotel and have "chocolate cake" for lunch each day on the ski hill.
fishnski
April 25, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Don't buy Ben & Jerry...Like Kennedy I can make some great concoctions starting with a good light breyers Ice cream...Your only limit is your Imagination!...I can make a great smoked Bluefish Jerky with a sweet honey glaze...1 jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other end, which turns into jerky! I also know how to turn a fish head into a Pecan pie..any guess how?
kennedy
April 25, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Whats really good with nutella is banana. Especially if both are warm with pancakes, or as Jim says in a croissant. That stuff is good and has less fat and calories than peanut butter.
David
April 25, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Sorry to interrupt the hijacked portion of this thread. Here it is:
I do not use DCSki's weather feature. Always have used weather.com

I do not use DCSki's conditions feature. I just check out the resort's webpage.

Hearing firsthand from fellow DCSkiers about what is new and what is going on (conditions, etc...)

No

No

No

Yes. I like always check to see if there is anything new in the Headlines area.

At least 3 or 4 times a year.

Quite often. I can usually find what I am looking for.

I try as much as possible.

I read all DCSki news articles that are put out. I do believe that both the news articles and interactive features make DCSki a VERY valuable tool.

Yes. Once in a while.

Epicski.com, I visit DCSki because everyone on here skis at all of the local hills and knows the "in's and out's". I must say that I tremendously prefer DCSki to Epic.

????

????
Rich
April 26, 2006
194 posts
"nutella " ice cream ... WTF. Now that's an ice cream with stuff - I can just picture a cone with a big rat on top !!! Isn't a nutella some kind of giant rodent ???? LOL LOL LOL
Murphy
April 26, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
That would be a nutria, not nutella. And it's best stewed up like an nice sauce picant, not served over ice cream.

Damn Yankees
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 26, 2006
2,963 posts
Quote:

" epicski, tgr, skiutah, whitegrass. Onlyforum i post on is right here, i like it here, every ones so nice to me!" ......AWWWW Ain't you special.....YOU MUDDAH!...Your posts suck you friggin Non skiing, Drunk Mo Fo!! ....

fishnski has a real gift for transcribing spoken dialog into the written word!
jimmy
May 1, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
OK, Now i have another question for DCSki readers, What ski's do you ski?

Me, Atomic Izor 9.7/159, still break out Volkl V3/170 for cruising the groomers on occasion.
warren
May 1, 2006
485 posts
Jimmy,
My Mid-Fats are Rossi B2's 160cm (113-76-103).
My carvers are Nordica W65's 163cm (112-65-97).

-Warren-
kwillg6
May 2, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Whoah.... what a hijack! First Jimmy, I ski Rossi Zenith Z9s at a 165 cm. They will do it all! For hard back, I use either my Fisher SL 160s or my Rossi RPMs 174. I used to be a hard core 204 cm skier. Couldn't imagine going back.
Scott,
I usually go to DC Ski for the latest in the forum discussions. On occasion, I will check out some other features, but the archives of discussion is the most informative part of your web page. Weather? NOAA. Resorts? their web site. Etc....
jimmy
May 2, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Whoah.... what a hijack!

Me? Hijack a thread? NO NO NO NeverNever. Subject is "Some questions", you know, just thought i'd ask some too, Scott started this, i can't help it , i'm just......curious!
kennedy
May 2, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Burton Canyon 168 (before they downgraded it to midlevel board) with Flow Amp 5 bindings and DC Rogue boots for all conditions, ripping, cruising, jumping and what little bit of spinning and grinding I do. Thinking of a Never Summer T5 or Revolver within the next season or so but that said I do love the Canyon.
jimmy
May 4, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Favorite all-time favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor:

"KaBerry KABOOM!"

I lived on that stuff one summer.

But alas, the flavor was quickly retired to the Ben & Jerry's graveyard.

Scott, I know what you mean. BaskinRobbins many years back deepsixed my alltime favorite 31 flavor, Mandarin Chocolate, one day they had it, next day it was gone for eternity, just like $2.39 gasoline.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.