NWS = Confused......4" for Valley now!
15 posts
7 users
2k+ views
fishnski
February 18, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Been watching it snow since daybreak up at the valley. Finally the NWS decides to issue a snow advisery! They have not trusted the weather models latley & have tried to go it alone...& have failed.LONG LIVE CANAAN! Got my 1st renters in this W-End & am happy for them....up to 4"'s...stay tuned!
Murphy
February 18, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Been watching it snow since daybreak up at the valley. Finally the NWS decides to issue a snow advisery! They have not trusted the weather models latley & have tried to go it alone...& have failed.LONG LIVE CANAAN! Got my 1st renters in this W-End & am happy for them....up to 4"'s...stay tuned!

Same thing happened here in Blacksburg. Snowed all morning, then they put up the advisory. Well that put a stop to the snow. I don't think a flake has fallen since. Maybe the see more coming later.
fishnski
February 18, 2006
3,530 posts
Latley the NWS has been hedging their bets to the last moments..& now they even screwed up, even at this late hour...Accuweather called for some snow in the south & Intellicast pegged this Sat snow 2 days ago with whatever model they use.There is a secondary cold front moving thru that looks to be kicking up some lake effect....this was not even part of any F-cast!...Like i said I'm just happy for my 1st time renters at my new place & am happy for everyone else that committed to this W-End. Looks packed at TL!
Murphy
February 18, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
To give the NWS credit, they've been forecasting snow in our area for a week. They got it right. I just thought it was funny that they second guessed themselves at the last minute. They may still turn out to be right. There's still a lot of moisture to the southwest.

They pretty much got the last weeks storm right too but they just under estimated the wrap around. It's nice when we get more than expected for a change.
Roger Z
February 18, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Amen. Murph mentioned to me in an email earlier that Marion, Virginia (on the north side of Mount Rogers) got 6 inches of snow. Marion is 3000 feet lower than Mount Rogers and that massif would have blocked a lot of the energy, so I'm wondering what Rogers/Whitetop got out of this. A foot at the summit isn't out of the question.

More snow forecast for Monday and again for Wednesday. Long live winter!
fishnski
February 19, 2006
3,530 posts
3 inches fell yesterday up in the valley & NWS had not mentioned 1 thing in any report untill it started. Highland STEALTH snow! Got to love it. What about the temps this morn? JonJon's Meyer house in davis read a low of 16.9 BELOW 0! Thats got to be off a little, but I think 8 below 0 would have been about right. -8 is COLDDDD But the sunshine & freshies should make for a great day of skiing!...PS Roan Mtn ,TN/NC had head high drifts earlier this week & beech Mtn,NC had a 20inch dump
Kris
February 19, 2006
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
I hit CV yesterday. Very icy conditions at first. Snowed all day though. sometimes even a whiteout, barely see 3 lift chairs in front of you. But by about 2 pm, you started to feel a little powder building up under your ski's. The beginner traingle was packed from what i saw, but we never had to wait more than like 15 seconds on either of the top to bottom lifts. Very unusual for Presidents day weekend. All in all, i had a blast and i hope everyone else got to enjoy the suprise snow.
fishnski
February 19, 2006
3,530 posts
Bet ya it got cold towards the end of the day for you Kris! The oficial Daily OBS just came in & surprise,surprise maybe JonJon's weather Obs wern't off.....-12 at 3700' with 3.7 snowfall & ---- -15 & 4 inches for the valley!! 15 below...wow!A little Inversion going on with the temps bieng a little higher further up. 14 below is the coldest that I have experienced up there.
jonjon
February 19, 2006
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
My weather station is now functioning again here in Davis. Low this moring of -16.9 degrees. Up to 7.7 now.

http://www.meyerhousebandb.com/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm
tgd
February 19, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Wow 16 below last night. We're here mountainside old timberline, my reading was at 0 at 7AM. It was really cold. Now it's just cold - teens. But no appreciable wind and plenty of sun make it feel warmer. Fresh snow really has helped make the weekend. Great skiing at timberline today, crowds have not been awful. Tomorrow looks to be a really good day.
fishnski
February 19, 2006
3,530 posts
Either your therm was in direct sunlight this morn or it was tucked real close to your home & you need better insulation....or its just broke......Get-R-Fixed! Therm patrol
Kris
February 19, 2006
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
fishnski...i got tired about 7 pm and decided to hit the road before it got real cold, so i dont know if i really got to experience the cold weather or not. I know i was dressed VERY warm saturday and by 5 or 6 I could feel the wind starting to penetrate my layers and give me a little chill. I know this morning at 7am when i got up i had -1 on my front porch. I have no idea how cold it got though.
yellowsnow
February 21, 2006
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Hmmm....wasn't the original premise of this thread something about the weathercasters being a little confused?
Check out this guy, who I understand recently accepted a position in the DC television market....
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/awfulweatherman2.html
fishnski
February 22, 2006
3,530 posts
My speaker is broken...wish I could have caught that...Another couple inches of "In thru the back door,NWS didn't predict it,Stealth snow" for the valley & southward thru the WV MTNS.These little snows are adding up....WV is keeping up with NE(except Stowe & Jay peak) More on the way with next artic blast this W-End!......I need a 40" total march snowfall to reach my predicted 167" for year(Canaan)
Roger Z
February 22, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
40 inches? In March? In the Highlands of WV? That's all? Andy, you're gonna come in with room to spare. See you on the slopes on tax day- conveniently the day after I finish my major paper defense!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.