please rid my dcski homepage of Snowshoe weather
15 posts
8 users
2k+ views
wolverine
August 30, 2005
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Does anyone else have problems changing the default weather from the DCSki homepage to anything but Snowshoe?
I've tried to change my browser to accept cookies but alas Showshoe comes back!
elitist_skier
August 30, 2005
Member since 08/29/2005 🔗
7 posts
it is not yours it is ours
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 30, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi wolverine,

If you're able to browse through your browser's cookies, you should see a cookie from www.dcski.com with the name "dcskidefaultweather". The contents are the zipcode for the weather area to display. If you go to the main DCSki Weather page (www.dcski.com/weather/) and hover over the links under "Select alternate location to view weather", you'll see all of the zip codes that DCSki supports.

I'm not sure why your choice wouldn't be sticking if you have cookies enabled. Go to the Weather page, and click on the city you wish to view (e.g., Champion). Then scroll down to "Default Weather Location" and click the "Set Champion, PA as default weather location" button. That should take you to a screen that says the preference was recorded, and redirect to the weather page. I'm sure these are the steps you tried to follow, but I don't have an explanation if they didn't work. (I would try quitting your browser right after saving the preference, just in case it had cached the old cookie value and restores it right away.) If you're comfortable with cookie sleuthing, you can also trace the cookies to see whether the zip code is getting changed (and changed back). Let me know if you discover the problem.

Thanks,

- Scott
Ullr
August 31, 2005
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I've done it all inclusing removing all my old cookies and it still defaults to Snowshoe! Somehow I think that Intrawest is behind all this!!
wolverine
August 31, 2005
113 posts
Since I am not the only one who apparently has trouble purging Snowshoe weather from my DCSki homepage, maybe you could consider a straw poll of what viewers would like on the homepage weather (ie. Champion, PA covering Wisp, 7S and more areas that people are likely to be interested in)
If Intrawest/ Snowshoe is paying to have the weather PR on the homepage then please label it as "sponsored"
bawalker
September 1, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I think this is an internet explorer issue. I tried and tried with IE to get this to work and each time it reloads Snowshoe. But when I try this with firefox, it works perfectly.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 1, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I changed it to 7Springs and Snowshoe shows up. It's a big business conspiracy!
jimmy
September 1, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Yup, i gave up on this last season. Unless intrawest is paying for my cookies, maybe dcski management can give us something different to look at?
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 1, 2005
1,249 posts
Hmm.. I rewrote some of the cookie code. Please try setting a weather default again and let me know if it sticks. (The cookie name changed, so if anyone had a default set before, you'll need to re-set it.) The change works fine on the main browsers I use (e.g., Safari on the Mac). It did act a bit flaky on Netscape 7 on the Mac, and now I have it working smoothly on Netscape, so maybe this will do the trick. If not, let me know.

No conspiracy here -- you really should be able to set your default weather location -- that was the whole point!

- Scott
wolverine
September 1, 2005
113 posts
Still Snowshoe weather on my IE browser no matter what I do! (most people use IE)
snowcone
September 1, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Go get Firefox .. you will never go back to IE. Honest!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html
wolverine
September 1, 2005
113 posts
Scott,
PLEASE CONSIDER CHANGING DEFAULT TO CHAMPION, PA OR ALLOW US TO CHANGE DEFAULT WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE BROWSERS!

IF YOU HAVE SOME DEAL WITH SNOWSHOE THAT'S OK BY ME BUT I HATE TO WASTE MY TIME FOLLOWING YOUR INSTRUCTIONS THAT DONT WORK FOR ANYONE USING THE MOST COMMON BROWSER (IE) THANKS!!
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 1, 2005
1,249 posts
There's no deal with Snowshoe. The default changing works in most web browsers, including many versions of IE on Windows. It's hard for me to diagnose a problem when I can't duplicate it, and IE is notorious for having lots of cookie-related bugs. (I have to second the notion to switch to FireFox, but DCSki is an equal-browser-opportunity site, so I'll never make anything browser-specific on purpose.)

I just made some additional changes after researching IE cookie bugs, and fired up my old (insert non-endearing acronym here) HP laptop running Windows XP and IE. After the changes I just made, IE on WinXP is working fine.

I'd bet this fixes the problem for you, too -- please give it one more try and let me know if you're still stuck in Snowshoe.

Thanks,

- Scott
wolverine
September 2, 2005
113 posts
THANKS SCOTT!! IT WORKED!!
My homepage is now purged.
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 2, 2005
1,249 posts
Glad it works now.. Sorry it took a few tries.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.