Possible change of location of Snow Cover Graphic?
8 posts
5 users
2k+ views
snowcone
November 15, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Scott ... just wondering ... wouldn't it be easier to have the Snow Cover graphic and the Mid-Atlantic NEXRAD on the Weather Index page rather than on the individual resort pages? Since, for the most part, most of the snow cover is going to be New England or out West, it might be less labor intensive to have those graphics on one page only. Or maybe Accuweather won't let you do it that way?
snowcone
November 15, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Forgot to add this next para. I tried to amend my post but forum software doesnt like it .. goes into loop. Oh well.

I notice you don't yet use an icon in your location line yet. It's really rather cool even if MS Explorer sometimes has trouble rendering it .. other browsers don't! Here's a code snippet of usage from one of my client sites ...
"<link REL="shortcut icon" HREF="/image/afrlicon.png" TYPE="image/x-icon">"
... where afrlicon.png is the location line and bookmark icon.
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 15, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi snowcone,

Hmm.. This is strange. I did have an icon in the location line (at least on non-forum pages) and it was working, but now it doesn't seem to be working. I don't remember changing anything that would have "broken" it so I'm not sure what's going on.

I've got the following line in the <head> section of DCSki's home page:

<link rel="shortcut icon" HREF="/images/tiny_s.gif" type="image/gif">

And that image exists (e.g., http://www.dcski.com/images/tiny_s.gif).

Actually, I just noticed that if I go to "dcski.com" (in Apple's Safari web browser) it shows the icon, but if I go to "www.dcski.com" it doesn't.

I have to run to work, so no time to figure this out now, but something's acting squirrely.

- Scott
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 15, 2004
1,249 posts
Quote:

Scott ... just wondering ... wouldn't it be easier to have the Snow Cover graphic and the Mid-Atlantic NEXRAD on the Weather Index page rather than on the individual resort pages? Since, for the most part, most of the snow cover is going to be New England or out West, it might be less labor intensive to have those graphics on one page only. Or maybe Accuweather won't let you do it that way?

There's no problem doing it that way, but I have a question first. How many folks are setting a default weather location? If you set a default weather location, then the main weather index page will show all of the weather for that location and you don't have to get through a two-step process. I assumed this is how most people would use the Weather page (and it's how I use it), but maybe that assumption was wrong!

Prior to this year, the weather page only showed weather data for Hagerstown, so there was just one page. I forked over more money to AccuWeather to get additional locations, but was trying to gather all of the data on one page since I assumed most folks would be primarily interested in one area. So once the "default" page was set the Weather page would function similar to last year, except you could easily jump to different regions.

- Scott
Packyderm1
November 15, 2004
Member since 11/8/1999 🔗
36 posts
I have a default location set and I like having the snow map on that page. One click and I have all of the weather info.

For me, being able to customize my weather location and the information contained within are a couple more reasons to like all of the work that Scott has put into the new site.
langleyskier
December 8, 2004
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
i just discovered the ability to set the default location. Thanks it helps alot
dmh
December 14, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
I tried to change the location of the default weather station on the home page and it does not seem to be working. Appears to work but it does not actually change the location. Is there a broken link?
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 14, 2004
1,249 posts
dmh: Do you have cookies enabled in your browser? If those are disabled it won't work. If they are enabled, could you check and see if you have the following cookie set? (Most browsers have an option hidden away somewhere to show all cookies.)

You should see a cookie for dcski.com with the name "dcskidefaultweather" and then a zip code for the value/contents (for example, mine is 17236, the zip code for Whitetail.)

If you can check on that and let me know, I can try to figure out what's going on.

Thanks,

- Scott
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.