The new DCSki: Post comments or bug reports here
14 posts
8 users
19k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 19, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
The redesigned DCSki has been launched. There are still some areas that need adding or polishing (e.g., webcams and area ski clubs), but most of the new site is now in place. Please post any feedback you have here. In particular, if you notice any rendering bugs or issues in your web browser, please describe them in detail, including the browser/version/platform you are using.

Sometime soon I will post a note describing the new site, some of the new features, and the philosophy that went into the design. In the meantime, feel free to explore! It may take a few visits before you adapt to the new structure and layout, but I think you'll quickly like it.
crunchy
August 20, 2007
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
nice job man, look great. everything i clicked around through worked well with firefox.

I think the only thing I can think to add would be a button that we can click to make it snow \:\)
toiletoctopus
September 8, 2007
Member since 09/8/2007 🔗
2 posts
New layout is incredible. I like the graphics, and everything is just a quick click away. The interactive map seems to load up faster as well. Well done.

Mike
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 11, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
toiletoctopus,
I note you are a first time poster. Welcome to a gread site.
I do have to ask: what's behind the posting name of "toiletoctopus"???!!! We are all waiting to find out!
The Colonel \:\)
comprex
September 12, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel

I do have to ask: what's behind the posting name of "toiletoctopus"???!!!

Aaaargh! ;\)
September 12, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Comprex,
Great catch...never saw it coming!!
kwillg6
September 13, 2007
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I would ask something like... oh, forget it!
jimmy
September 13, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: comprex
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel

I do have to ask: what's behind the posting name of "toiletoctopus"???!!!

Aaaargh! ;\)

Sounds like a bad order of calamari to me.

Hey tgd & rogerZ,

is this what you guys ment about "smells funny"?
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 16, 2007
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Minor rant.. Have I mentioned how much I hate Internet Explorer? I just spent another two hours trying to debug a problem with DCSki's new design that only occurs in Internet Explorer. The main content on the home page would randomly get shifted down, starting below the end of the leftmost column, and leaving a huge chunk of white space at the top of the page. Of course, most of the time it would work fine -- just every now and then IE would barf. The problem doesn't occur on Firefox, of course, or any web browser on the Macintosh. Just IE on Windows.

I eventually figured out a work-around. Around a quarter to half of the time I spent on DCSki's new design was spent working around age-old bugs in Internet Explorer. That browser gives me no end of grief. If everyone upgraded to Firefox, the world would be a better place.

OK, enough ranting. The real point of my post is to ask anyone using IE to *please* contact me if you notice *any* strange behavior on DCSki -- such as content overlapping other content, or content being pushed down on a page for no obvious reason, etc. I normally use Safari on a Mac so don't notice these issues until I periodically fire up Windows to try things out, and some of the problems are intermittent. I'd like to stamp out all of these IE bugs before the winter season rolls around.

I wish web developers could sue Microsoft for all the lost time and productivity IE's bugs have caused us. Argh! OK, I'm feeling better now...
toiletoctopus
September 17, 2007
Member since 09/8/2007 🔗
2 posts
Hi Everyone,

So sorry it took so long to get back. Thank you Colonel for the welcome to the site. The name toiletoctopus was inspired by my wife, who is obviously my "better half." I went to the D.C. aquarium one day, and bought her a stuffed animal octopus, for a laugh since she had been going through some rough patches. She did not like it, and did not laugh, and proceeded to ask "Where did you get that from, the toilet?"

It is kind of stupid, but the name is rather amusing.

Mike
comprex
September 27, 2007
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
The forum now seems to be driven by new threads. Active discussion in long-established threads is off the page here:

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads33/ubbthreads.php

Is there any chance the forum could get a file tab of its own instead of jumping through News Vault?

PS, toiletoctopus, you're almost obliged to have that mascot with you at the mountain now. ;\)
December 6, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Scott,
I sent you a regular email about numerous problems I am expeniencing using the DCSki PM feature.
Please advise.
Thanks,
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 19, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
why are all the temps on the front page Negative?
February 25, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Scott,
As you have observed I have a thing for polling DCSkiers. Is there a way to save a poll for future use? For example the polls about where you are going skiing at some point in time...the list of resorts remains constent, yet I have to rebuild it each time. And is there anyway to get a bit more info, such as a poll that not only would indicate where a DCSkier was planning on going, but the day, and their on-line name?
Thanks,

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.