A couple website suggestions
9 posts
8 users
1k+ views
JR
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Hey Scott, I have a couple suggestions for the website that would clean things up a bit.

First off, I just use the homepage to access the message boards since I still use dial up and its just faster and easier. Could you set it up to turn all posts in a thread purple after clicking on one. For instance, if I click and read the latest post in "warm weather" change all of the ones listed on the homepage's recent posts that were in there. That way we don't have to scan through all of the blue posts that we already read and that may have changed subject too.

Second, can you create a menu for the conditions page. When I click on it now I have to wait a few minutes for everything to load (again, I have dialup and West Virginia is blessed with starting with the 23rd letter in the alphabet.) When one first clicks on "conditions" you could take them to a page displaying all of the resorts you cover here with a link from there that takes you to the others you list. OR, you could just list your covered resorts first, followed by the rest so that we (or I since nobody else has dialup) don't have to wait for all of them to load to see our local areas first.

Anyway, just some suggestions. Thanks for the great website.
jimmy
January 5, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I agree a menu for the conditions page would be nice. Maybe broken up into regions so you could drill down to where you'd like to be. This page is slow to load, even on DSL, JR.
fred
January 5, 2005
Member since 12/23/2004 🔗
59 posts
I also agree. you might also want to look at your timberline snow report-I don't think timberline even has four lifts???
langleyskier
January 5, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Scott, first i just want to thank you for this website. But i agree with them it is to complicated to search the conditions page to find the local resorts it would be nice to have a page for only local conditions.
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 5, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions. Prior to the redesign this summer, I had separate pages under Conditions for each local state (MD, PA, VA, WV, and NC). Over the summer I upgraded my data feed to include worldwide snow conditions, and had them all on one page with the intent of breaking it into separate local pages once I had a chance.

Well, other things always got in the way, but I'll try to get a chance this weekend.

Unfortunately, as for changing the thread colors, I'm not sure I can modify the behavior of that. The forum software is a commercial package, and I've already had to write some less than elegant code to pull out some recent topics to display on the home page. I'll need to consider what you're asking for to see if it's possible. I am annoyed by the current behavior but so far I haven't been able to perfect it. (Before I upgraded the forum software over the summer, I was fairly happy with the way I could grab recent posts, but the new software changed the model and made it much harder to pull them out.)

- Scott
tromano
January 5, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Scott,

All I want is a search that doesn't take 2 minutes to cool down between uses. You know what I am saying!
JohnL
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
How about a button that we can click that causes temperatures to drop and snow to fall from the sky!

And for Andy, a button that each time when clicked gives Bill Bright a swift kick in the butt.
Packyderm1
January 6, 2005
Member since 11/8/1999 🔗
36 posts
I like the suggestions for the conditions page and I have one more while you are working on it. Can a link to each resort be placed in each resort's conditions table?

The button to lower the temps and bring in the snow is also an excellent suggestion. That should be pretty easy, right?
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 9, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Alright, I updated the DCSki Conditions page to break down resorts by state. You'll also find a link in each condition table to the resort's official web page, if the resort is one covered by DCSki.

http://www.dcski.com/conditions/

I'm still working on adding a button that will cause temperatures to lower and snow to fall out of the sky. I'll try to have that done by next weekend.

(Just kidding on that last one.)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?