Where to ski???
27 posts
13 users
4k+ views
(Anonymous)
February 28, 2003
I'll be in DC for a couple of weeks, and will be able to ski 29 and 30 March. Any suggestions on what might still be open that late without having to drive all the way to Vermont? (Of course, if that's my only option, I'm there.) -THANKS-
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 28, 2003
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Snowshoe West Virginia (1500' vertical drop)is your best bet in this region at that time of year. They usually remain open through 1st week of April. Snowshoe is about 5 hours from DC. We're having a great season, so there may be a few others open then too, but hard to say, things can change quickly. Hunter Mtn, NY (1600' vert) about 7 hrs from DC, might be another option at that time. Nearest good Vermont place is Mt Snow (1700' vert), about 9 hrs from DC.
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 28, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Unless temperatures shoot up in March, I would expect a number of resorts to be open through the end of March, but Snowshoe would probably be your best bet. They've got a huge base now and are up at 4,800 feet, so the snow isn't going anywhere quickly. Currently, Snowshoe plans to remain open until April 6, but the resort has considered staying open a few days beyond that. The snowguns have basically been put away for the season. As a bonus, you should be able to get good deals on lodging that late in the season.

Other good bets would be Seven Springs and Wisp.

(Anonymous)
February 28, 2003
If time is a limiter, and depending greatly on snow conditions, there are:

Local *day* resorts: Whitetail, Roundtop and Liberty are all about 1.5 hrs from DC, depending on exactly where you are in the DC area. They are small but can scratch the itch if time is a BIG limiter.

Semi-close resort: 7-springs has the feel of a bigger resort and is reasonably close, at 3-4hrs. (very) Short runs though but not bad for a weekend.

I cannot speak to any of the other DC area resorts as I have never been to any others!

But considering the winter, Killington will probably be open till MAY! :-)

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 1, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Timberline in WV is generally good at the end of March. In fact, I have had some of my best ski days there after a later March snow--not a rare occurence for Timberline or Snowshoe. In any event, the resort should have no problem maintaining its 95 inch base through the end of the season. Thus far, Timberline has received 208 inches of natural snow this season. Keep smiling.
(Anonymous)
March 1, 2003
Yeah, typically Whitetail/Roundtop/Liberty close around mid-March. In fact, I have a flyer from Whitetail from this past fall that specifies exactly that. However, I have a feeling with the amount of snow we've had they still open as long as the crowds seem to hold up. There's no doubt that the WV area resorts will stay open even longer than this, as they typically stay open much longer anyway than the just-over-the-line penn resorts...
I suppose another remote option would be a spring ski in Utah, Southwest has direct flights from BWI. Rumor has it one can fly out late friday, ski sat/sun, and return sun night... I actually talked to someone once that claimed to have done this numerous times without ill-effect.
Jim
March 3, 2003
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
The local resorts (Liberty/Whitetail/Roundtop) will likely close mid/late March. Its not the lack of snow - its the lack of crowds. Folks in the DC/Baltimore region tend to break out the rollerblades, bicycles, golf clubs, tennis rackets, jogging shoes around mid-March (that's the normal crowd - not us ski nuts!). As a result, the local areas close for lack of revenue. This year, I expect folks to be even more antsy about pulling out the spring gear seeing as we've had a pretty snowy winter. Seems folks are sick of the white stuff (why - I have no idea (- .

The best semi-local best for late season skiing in March appear to be Snowshoe, Timberline/Canaan Valley, Wisp and Seven Springs in that order (more or less). There's also Ski Windham in New York (owned by the same parent corporation that owns Lib/White/Roundtop). Its about 6 to 7 hours away and is the last of the Snowtime, Inc. areas to close.

MitchH
March 3, 2003
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
It would help if Whitetail and Liberty charged lower end of season rates (like $25 or $30) for mid-March to closing like the Canaan Valley resorts. I think that would draw alot of people out. In past years, they charged the same high fees for the last few weekends despite that fact that few slopes were open and there were bare spots all over the place.
Jim
March 3, 2003
317 posts
Diehard locals remember the big snow of the 1995/1996 season. We had a near record dumping in late February or early March. As a "thank you" for the phenomenol ski season that year, Liberty had a "firesale" at the end of the season (I recall it being the first weekend in April). Lift ticket prices were a penny. A good number of trails were still well covered. Nine people showed up. If people don't want to show up for free skiing, I doubt that cut-rate lift ticket prices will help interest late in the season - especially when its sunny and warm in DC and Baltimore. If you really want the ski season to last into late March, keep going up to the local areas and bring family and friends! The areas will stay open if the crowds (and the snow) hold. No question about the snow holding this year. The only factor seems to be crowds.
March 3, 2003
1,986 posts
I skied at Timberline two years ago on 26 March, and the snow conditions late in the season there convinced my wife and I to purchase a condo at the resort. Last year, despite all the warm weather, Timberline continued to have great skiing all the way to the end of March. I extended my season even further last year by skiing at Snowshoe on 6 April--cover was a little thin but the snow was GOOD.

One of the reasons I don't complain too loudly about crowds in February is the March dividend in WV: great snow and the mountains to myself. Shhh. Don't tell anyone. Let's keep this a DCSki SECRET.....

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 03-03-2003).]

chuckie
March 4, 2003
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
I'm hoping that LIBERTY, WHITETAIL, etc. make it till at least the end of MARCH.

With the volume of snow we got this season, it'd be a crime to close the resort while there is still a nice base left.

I fully understand that people in this area make the transition to spring and seem to lose interest in skiing or boarding around March (the same thing happens in the TAHOE area as well), but I for one enjoy nothing more than a nice warm day of spring boarding.

Actualy, when it's warm and the snow is soft it's the best time for anyone to learn how to snowboard as well.

Maybe the resorts will consider only opening on the weekends in late March/April, that would help to preserve the base and extend the season to the really nice weather.

...praying for bluebird days.

canaanman
March 4, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
john- It's interesting to note that you are getting great deals out of lift ticket prices this spring at Timberline. I mean, EVERYTHING is STILL open, and it looks prospective for the majority of the double-blacks to be open until mid or late March.

Off the Wall and the Drop both have nice moguls and no bare spots, Silver Streak has some spots that you can tell where it might get thin soon, and Thunderdraft is all snow... no spots yet.

What a great season it has been!

chuckie
March 4, 2003
77 posts
I'm definitely looking at SNOWSHOE for an "end of season" mini getaway in late March or the beginning of APRIL. I've ridden there before years ago, but am a little unsure of how much snow will be left the last week in March or even in April.

I actualy like the SILVERCREEK area (less crowds), I guess their calling it RUCKUS RIDGE or something now. Just wondering in general how many runs the resort keeps open late season and how the snow holds up.

snowcone
March 4, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
We skied at Snowshoe in late March last year and it was not at all bad. Widowmaker and Silver Creek were closed but the remaining runs were in top shape. We booked again this year to do a long Beach Party weekend (Mar 22) and look forward to closing our skiing season with the last runs at Snowshoe. Then out come the mountain bikes and kayaks until November ... darn!

Has anyone ever skied Chili in August? (Getting desperate already!)

JR
March 4, 2003
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Last year, the worst winter ever in my opinion, Snowshoe had Cupp Run open the last day (april 6th or so). There were a few long green runs on the northern tract and some good blues. The snow was in relatively good shape. We even got a few inches that weekend. Now considering the year we're having, they're even considering staying open until April 16th now. I'd bet on a good 25 trails or so including Cupp Run this year, maybe more. Silver Creek closes the last week in March I think regardless of their snow.
March 4, 2003
1,986 posts
I skied Cupp run on 6 April last year. There were very few skiers but everyone was having a blast (Snowshoe comped all skiers and boarders on that day). I talked to a guy on Western Express who was measuring vertical covered on his wrist watch altimeter. He was planning to bag 20,000 feet that day. I suspect he accomplished that goal because crowds were minimal.

Hey canaanman, I'm a passholder at Timberline and yes, I'm getting my money's worth. At the end of every season, Timberline sells passes for the next season at cut rates. I paid $250 for mine and have already used it 13 times. If I use it another three times, my average day will have cost just $15. What a deal.

canaanman
March 4, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
john- yeah... I've gotten 15 days out of that pass... and I also got mine at a rate of $250. I figure I will get another 4-6 days of snowboarding in this winter (knock on wood, hopefully more).

That should tally up to about 20 days out of the pass, not counting the 1 day early season at Snowshoe and the 1 day this weekend that I'm going to Snowshoe. Which comes out to about $12 a day, which is a ~ a 70% discount on the normal season prices.

rimfire
March 5, 2003
Member since 12/30/2002 🔗
15 posts

Based on the March reservations we have on our units at Snowshoe (we own two studio condos) the crowds should be very low (weekday and weekend) - while the snow should be great. Not sure why there isn't more interest. Maybe folks have already gotten thier fill of sking for this year. That's good news for skiers - but bad for condo owners.
(Anonymous)
March 5, 2003
Talked to Massanutten yesterday - they will close 3/16 regardless of conditions. An employee at Whitetail told a friend of mine the same thing. He said that the employees are contracted only through that weekend, and to keep them on they have to pay them major overtime, so financially it isn't worth it to stay open even if there's still snow :-(
Guess I'll head to Canaan.
(Anonymous)
March 5, 2003
Thanks for everyone's input, looks like Snowshoe's where I'll be headed. I am pumped. Other than a quick weekend at Taos, I thought I was going to get shut out this year. Looking forward to it! Thanks again!!!
ski_guy_59
March 5, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Silver Creek closes on the 23rd...=(
chuckie
March 6, 2003
77 posts
You've got to be kidding me!!!!!!

What's this about WHITETAIL closing on 3/16 regardless????????????

Does that SNOWTIME contract also affect LIBERTY?

With all the snow we've gotten I would feel seriously shortchanged if LIBERTY packed it in for good on the 16th! In fact if that's the case I won't bother with the season pass or advantage card next season.

I'm also dismayed to hear that SILVERCREEK closes on the 23rd! That really sucks becuse I had intended to bring a beginner to the slopes and frankly their runs are better for beginners.

Anybody know what WISP's plans are for the remainder of the season?

BTW, anybody can hit the snow at TIMBERLINE @ Mt. Hood in August, I've ridden there in August, it's not epic, but it's nice to ride in the summer time without going to Chile.

chuckie
March 6, 2003
77 posts
Ummm, I don't see any of the 3 SNOWTIME resorts closing on 3/16.

LIBERTY, ROUNDTOP, and WHITETAIL all have scheduled events on their calendars through MARCH 23rd.... I'm guessing that means they won't be closing on 3/16.

Still a shame about SILVERCREEK though... a hill full o snow gone to waste.

jb714
March 6, 2003
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
My wife just called Whitetail......they said they plan to close sometime between March 23 and 31, depending on weather, obviously. No word of a 'specific' closing date.
March 7, 2003
1,986 posts
Wisp to Remain Open Through April 6.
chuckie
March 7, 2003
77 posts
WISP god(s) bless em', I'm gonna give them some late season bizznizz.
Jim
March 8, 2003
317 posts
Word at Liberty is they will be open until AT LEAST until March 23rd - possibly longer if the crowds hold. This comes from their management.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.