TLine season pass
56 posts
15 users
20k+ views
jimmy
April 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
They're on sale, early rate til may 31. Went up 50 bucks again this year.
TL Season pass
skiTLINE
April 20, 2005
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
This to me is excessive. If you have been purchasing season passes for past years I cannot understand such a spike in cost. They should make it more of an incentive for those who purchased in the past to continue purchasing.

First timers get a 120.00 reduction from what we have to pay. I feel like using a fake id and acting like a I am a FIRST TIME season pass holder.
bawalker
April 20, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Someone wanna work up a chart of how many visits it would take for the season pass to pay for itself at the various cost levels?
SCWVA
April 20, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
skiTline,

Where did you find the info on $120 off for First Timers? Is that off the $349 price?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimmy
April 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey SkiT, I didn't see that 229 thing until you mentioned. Considering they went up 50 bucks the last two years...man thats a slap . My housing situation down there is in limbo right now; as much as I like timberline, i may be gone.
???If i come back the following year, am i eligible for the first time discount????
skiTLINE
April 20, 2005
230 posts
Yep

229 for first time pass holders and 349 for everyother jag who has bought in the past. 349-229=120 savings. Am i crazy or wasnt the cost like 259 in 2003-2004????? is this gonna be a 50 dollar annual hike.

Its not neccesarily the price hike but more of the principal. if you have been supporting the mountain via buying passes in advance thus guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue then we should be able to continue getting a favorable rate.

at this rate the cost will be 1,000 per adult a season by 2009-2010 season. maybe if they included with this pass lift rights for mountain biking as well i wouldnt be quite as bitter.
SCWVA
April 20, 2005
1,052 posts
I found the discount you were talkng about on the pdf. You would think that T-line would offer some kind of repeat or loyal customer discount.

How much is Snowshoe's season pass?
jimmy
April 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Brad, the pass is still a good deal, it the principle of the thing. I skied 14 days at tline this past season. At 349 plus sales tax, it'd cost me 26.42 per day to do it again, I honestly don't know what a day ticket costs.......but Laurel Maountain is 90 minutes from home, an easy day trip....no lodging complications and a pretty good hill.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
April 20, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I placed a call to the General Manager Tom Blanzy about the new price scheme and I encourage others to call and complain as well. Raising the rate by $50 dollars for the past two years is unfair--especially without significant improvements to the mountain.

Furthermore, why reward newbies as opposed to people like myself who have purchased 2 adult season passes per year for the past three years? Frequent buyers should get rewards, not one shot wonders.

Timberline Main #
800-766-9464
skiTLINE
April 20, 2005
230 posts
AMEN

Myself and the wifey have been purchasing them for the past 3 years as well. Trying to justify to her another 100 bucks total increase is ridiculous.

Owning there it made sense to just have a season pass so when i went i could just pop the skis on and go avoiding the ticket lines/windows.

John, you can vouch for me as an owner in Northwoods. We have paid out the ying yang the past couple years for improvements to our buildings. And i dont mind that becasue they are IMPROVEMENTS. but for tline to raise rates again and alls they have done is take a double chair and squeeze it to a tripple, well, this does not warrant a price hike.
April 20, 2005
1,986 posts
Call Tom and complain. I already e-mailed the webmaster and suggested that they roll the passes back to $300 for everyone, new and old.

What kills me is that most of us have to go to other resorts early in season because Timberline is either closed or barely open with just one trail. I can put up with that for $300 but for $350. Forget it! I'd need to see proof of a major snowmaking or ski lift upgrade before I'd be willing to pay $350 for a season pass at Timberline.
skiTLINE
April 20, 2005
230 posts
I just called and spoke with some lady. When i asked about the pricing she chuckled and said that someone else called. She said that the reason for the increase is due to the fact that they increased snowmaking (huh) and that they were finishing the new trail (am i missing something).

I then asked if they thought everyone would renew based on that price and she said that so far everyone was. I seriously find that hard to believe. If they had increased snowmaking they would be open by first week december and would stay open til mid to late april. this really pisses me off. charge more and do nothing. like i said before i paid a bunch for improvements to my condo. but for that i got new roof, new siding, new deck, new doors, new sliding glass doors. for my increase on lift tickets i get squat.

and seriously, how many season passes could they sell????? could that price hike times the number of season passes sold really make enough revenue for them to increase snowmaking or install high speed quad???? doubtful. are they also going to raise daily passes????
skiTLINE
April 20, 2005
230 posts
John.............

write an article on this. They will have to read and hear about that. That would really piss the owners/management off. Maybe push him to sell.......OK, thats wishful thinking.
jimmy
April 20, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
patience, patience, let's not abuse The Power...yet. Let's make our calls, plead our case but remember,

1. this is Timberline, a model for good customer relations
2. are we upset by the increase or more by the 229 first time deal?
3. CVR also sells season passes
4. the new trail is a slopefront lot scheme

I do feel for you "landed gentry", reminds me about the story about the devil and the difference between a prospect and a customer.
April 20, 2005
1,986 posts
Could I get a show of hands of people who will not pay more than $300 for pass? I want to see if we can leverage our position with management. If we can get about ten people to form a bargaining unit, we might be able to negotiate some type of group rate of $300 for DCSki members. However, I need a show of hands before I can call Timberline and play shop steward.

Me, 2 passes

PS I am upset because Timberline raised the rate by 20 percent last year and they want to raise it another 16 percent this year--that's 36% folks. If the mountain were 36 percent better than it was two years ago, I'd agree to the increase but the lackluster snowmaking effort of Timberline earlier this season demonstrates clearly that things have not changed much. Furthermore, I do not want to pay for promises of change; I need to see the product before I pay for it.
skiTLINE
April 20, 2005
230 posts
2 passes for my wife and I John.

I understand CVR has season passes but my condo is next to Tline lifts. I am not going to drive to t;ine and then drive to CV to ski. i enjoy tlines faclities even at their current state, but to ask me to pony up 100 more per pass over 2 years is ridiculous.

John, i am onboard. i dont mind the 300 as i paid last year. i was a little confused at the spike for 04-05 but went along with it. Another spike is completely uncalled for.
bawalker
April 20, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Count me in for a pass on that show of hands. I was actually considering a pass to go somewhere the other month, but haven't decided where. Wisp is looking mighty good considering they have tons of lit trails, tons of moderate quality stuff that is open, etc. I'm sorry but more than $300 isn't worth it for the mountain that Timberline has. Yes it's a great mountain, yes it has 4200 summit elevation with lots of natural snow... but where does things go afterwards? For me the $300 is still alot, but manageable because I can go 10 times a season and have it very well paid for.

I'm sorry Timberline, $350 is out of the realm of sane, unless they were to do even some of the following I wouldn't consider $350:

1.) For the love of snow and everything sacred, install DECENT LIGHTS on all non forrest service owned trails. I'm sick and tired of going up there and hanging out and having to leave by 4:30 because friends who ride greens have no where to go during the nighttime hours. Why is it so hard to charge this much for passes and not have lights on Winterset, lower salamander, a lit terrain park... *A* terrain park.

2.) Dedicated snowguns/polecats on Dew Drop, Almost Heaven, Winterset, the Drop, and OTW.

Maybe, just maybe if those things were taken care of, HECK even if they built a new lodge I'd consider it. But not at the present conditions.
skiTLINE
April 20, 2005
230 posts
another thing i would love to ask Tline management is how many folks pay the nearly 600 buckeroos for a season pass after the "discount" date passes??????

i would venture to say that all the season passes they sell is during the discount period and that they sell zippy passes at their full price.

Lets do it John. negotiate a group deal at 300. the wife has agreed to it.
April 20, 2005
1,986 posts
Cool. That's five adult passes--$1500 of negotiating power. I just e-mailed the president of Northwoods HOA to see if he will send a "gang" e-mail to other Northwoods owners to see if we can scare up more interested parties. This is probably unprecedented--using the internet to form a bargaining unit to negotiate a better season pass rate but heck, it's worth a try. Hopefully, I will have enough interested parties to call Timberline on Monday. Is that ok with everyone?

PS $50 is a pair of poles, and most of us trash at least one pair of poles per season at Timberline.

PPS How can Timberline charge the same price for an early pruchase Season Pass as Springs? 7 Springs was 100 percent when Timberline only had two trails open.
tgd
April 20, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
John: I have to join the DC Ski Cartel! 3 passes - me, my wife and brother-in-law. They also bumped the under 6 pass up from $25 to $35. I know it pales to the full adult pass - but come-on Timberline - kids under 6 ski free anyway, all you do is take a digital photo and laminate it!
April 21, 2005
1,986 posts
That's 8 adult passes--$2400. Can everyone e-mail me the names of the passholders I am megotiating for?

johnfmh@yahoo.com

That way if I am successful, Timberline will have a list of people to whom they need to sell a discounted pass.
skiTLINE
April 21, 2005
230 posts
Thank you John

I sent you my and wifeys name. I also got an email reply at work this morning from Doug Clayton at tline. He was forwarding onto John Navhistcen. not sure who he is but hopefully he has some common sense and will do the right thing.

$2400 so far huh.......that should by a few lights
April 21, 2005
1,986 posts
I will keep everyone's names and e-mail addresses private. However, I do need to give Tom Blanzy a list of people to be given discounts so do e-mail me that information as soon as possible. Of course, Tom will have to agree to our terms, and he's a tough WV businessman so I can't promise anything at this point..

I'm also probably going to have to keep the results of this experiment a SECRET for obvious reasons, so I'll only be able to tell you if I am successful by e-mail, and I would hope that you will keep that information to yourself.
warren
April 21, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
John,
With their newest prices, they're pretty close the Snowshoe's pass prices. For the increased acreage and services, I'm spending my pass money there! I don't ski enough days at T-Line to justify the cost. Pretty soon, it's going to be just as cost effective to join Crush out in Utah

-Warren-
jimmy
April 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
John, for 300 bucks I'm willing to take the chance I'll work my lodging situation out. Count me in for one. Losing me may not sound like much but my "entourage" last year consisted of 2 to 5 additional folks buying lift tickets, eating lunch at TG, lessons and rentals, and these folks are Apres Experts, just one of them probably spends more there than a cub scout den. The money they lose if I'm gone is more than the 350.

Another thought, if the $350 season pass is such a good deal, why do they feel they need to reduce it $120 to attract new season pass holders?
April 21, 2005
1,986 posts
Quote:

Another thought, if the $350 season pass is such a good deal, why do they feel they need to reduce it $120 to attract new season pass holders?

I think that's why most people are so pissed. Anyway, I need a list of people. I have 9-10 tentative people currently, and need names (to give Tom). Therefore, please e-mail your full name only (nothing else) to johnfmh@yahoo.com.

If I can't get a $300 rate, I'm going to spend my money at other resorts early in the season when terrain is limited at Timberline, travel late Feb, and ski Timberline a lot in March when prices are cheap and terrain is expansive.
jimmy
April 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
John, don't get me wrong, i'm not pissed, just trying to make a business decision. I like TL and I have made many friends on that mountain but I have also have several good choices 2 hours closer to home. If this doesn't work out, I'll see you at Snowy Luau.

jimmy
kwillg6
April 21, 2005
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
John, count me in for 2, maybe 3 passes. I have been purchasing season passes for the past 9 years. Remember, they began the discount at $199 about 5 years ago. The nut, wintergreen, as do almost all mountains, have special rates which are cheaper and now t-line is going to diss those who have kept the cash cow in hay all these summers?????
I don't mind e-mailing or calling the owner, or better yet, talking to him in person in a couple of weeks when I go up for a Spring clean-up day at NW.
If anyone should get the special rates, it should be the long time season pass owners. You could probably count on another couple of dozen NW homeowners who ski regularly and avail themselves of the presale rates, but you may have to send out an e-mail to them on your own. Let me know, I can help you with the contacts.
April 21, 2005
1,986 posts
Just to let everyone know: I've formally contacted the resort and am awaiting a response.
Roger Z
April 21, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I just tried to find season pass rates at some other nearby resorts for early purchases, but most of the sites appeared to have cleared the prices out for the time being. What are some of the early purchase pass rates at some comparable resorts- Snowshoe, Wintergreen, Whitetail, Wisp?
jimmy
April 21, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
RZ, I checked Laurel Mtn(not posted yet) & 7Springs (349.00) today.

jimmy
April 21, 2005
1,986 posts
Snowshoe is $377. What makes the Snowshoe pass so much more valuable is that Snowshoe (and 7 Springs) have the snowmaking to get a lot of terrain open by Christmas, the time full season tickets go into effect. Lackluster snowmaking severely limited terrain at Timberline until February--December and January were a bust. Most of us want to take full advantage of the Christmas/New Years/MLK periods and without the kind of snowmaking power that 7 Springs and Snowshoe posses, it can be sketchy. Bottom line: until Timberline SERIOUSLY upgrades snowmaking, they have no right to charge what 7 Springs and Shoe charge for season passes.
SCWVA
April 21, 2005
1,052 posts
John,

I agree with you. I love the Valley and have been wanting to buy a place up there for sometime. But after seeing the lack of snowmaking early in the season, I'm glad I didn't buy in the valley. T-line basically only had 2 monthes of skiing, while Snowshoe's season lasted 4 monthes.

I won't by a place in the Valley until they increase or at least use their snowmaking system.

May be T-line will get the hint.
fred
April 21, 2005
Member since 12/23/2004 🔗
59 posts
I can't believe that Timberline is charging more or as much as other resorts for season passes. I've never seen Timberline 100 percent open before late january/early february. Timberline's season opens weeks later then all the other mountains with similar climates and timberline is always in last place as far as opening terrain. They don't even build a terrain park until mid-february. I have a place in the valley, but my kids never want to ski there over christmas break or even january-because there is no terrain park open, so we go to wisp or snowshoe. Timberline if you don't know you are the only resort I've been to in the Mid-atlanitc that doesn't open a terrain park as soon as the mountain opens.

And I have to admit, I agree with my boys, I don't even enjoy skiing at timberline until late january. Even though the terrain is great at timberline it doesn't do much good when there are only three runs open from top to bottom and the mountain is packed with boy scouts. If they do open that new trail for next year then they are going to have even more trouble opening up the rest of the mountain. Unless they put a substantial investment in snowmaking then the moutain won't be 100 percent open until late february; IF ANYTHING TIMBERLINE SHOULD HAVE LOWERED PRICES FOR SEASON PASSES! If timberline starts opening when wisp and snowshoe do, have more then 30% terrain open for the first month, and they build a terrain park as soon as the mountain opens then I'll be happy to pay more for a season pass.
pwillysim
April 21, 2005
Member since 09/2/2004 🔗
38 posts
I have been a season pass holder for three years. The increase for the season pass this year is unforgiving. I like Jimmy live 90 min. from 7-springs. Timberline is going to price themselves out of some very loyal customers.
John if you need another name you can add mine to the list.
Paul Simmons
April 22, 2005
1,986 posts
Quote:

I have been a season pass holder for three years. The increase for the season pass this year is unforgiving. I like Jimmy live 90 min. from 7-springs. Timberline is going to price themselves out of some very loyal customers.
John if you need another name you can add mine to the list.
Paul Simmons

Paul, e-mail your name to this address: johnfmh@yahoo.com.
canaanman
April 22, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Quote:

it doesn't do much good when there are only three runs open from top to bottom and the mountain is packed with boy scouts.

ahem... you mean Eagle Scouts that shred way better than you.
April 23, 2005
1,986 posts
Quote:

Quote:

it doesn't do much good when there are only three runs open from top to bottom and the mountain is packed with boy scouts.

ahem... you mean Eagle Scouts that shred way better than you.

I think we need to be careful about criticizing Boy Scouts and other newbies who come to the mountain. If this sport is going to survive and thrive, we need to welcome newbies to the mountain and be as accommodating to them as possible. On the other hand, we need to politely tell them from time to time not to ski above their ability level and adhere to the Skier's code.
Glenn_C
April 23, 2005
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
I sympathize with you repeat pass holders but want to thank you for bringing the first timer's special to light. My wife and I and two sons have been CVR season pass holders but I'm jumping ship this season. You can't beat $866 for a family of four. I was paying ~ $1160 over at CVR and then we'd pop over to TLine and the Shoe intermittently throughout the season. It looks like we'll be doing TLine as our primary this season with the periodic visits to CVR & the Shoe.
Again, I feel for the repeat TLine pass holders, but they are targeting ship jumpers like myself as do phone companies, satellite service providers, banks, etc...All those great deals are usually offered to entice new business. Yeah, it's frustrating that the loyal customer gets nothing other than continuation of service at the same rate but the people running these specials are going on the assumption that the veterans having subscribed to their services (whatever they may be) for the past 3, 5 , 8 years are pleased with the service and rates as-is otherwise they would have switched providers long before implementation of these come on deals. Seems a screwey way to look at things but it's a very commonplace marketing practice and is not just TLine trying to screw its patrons. As far as the $50 bump this year and prior year, I don't see any outward manifestation of significant improvements in the TLine infrastructure to warrant it aside from the forecasted additional dedicated blowers on the new trail and the increased fuel/man-hours required for grooming of said trail. We'll see what the 05/06 season brings. Think positive; the added assets may result in more aggressive snowmaking, enhanced grooming operations and maybe some small scale improvements to the antiquated lodge. Those of you that are running in that mindset, please PM me as I have some incredible acreage in Louisiana (albeit a little marshy). I'll let it go cheap to the right person. Keep smilin'....
fishnski
April 23, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
BS...If my cable Co is running a special for 1st time cust I'll be the 1st to call them & demand somthing in return for bieng a loyal cust! Ive done it before & will do it again.They will offer free HBO for six months or somthing similar.If you don't wine you will not dine!!
fishnski
April 23, 2005
3,530 posts
PS...It has dropped below freezing above 5000' in the NC Mtns....SNOW!!!!
Glenn_C
April 23, 2005
67 posts
Quote:

BS...If you don't wine you will not dine!!

You may want to avoid throwing personal aspersions like BS around to other members of this board. It's neither constructive nor terribly polite to ridicule or belittle another's assertions simply because you either can't grasp them or you disagree with them. Disagree with a point if you like but do so constructively.

Had you read my post and comprehended its content, you would have found that I never said don't attempt to barter with Tline for a deal as repeat pass holders. My only point was that it is a widespread practice in commercial industry to offer incentives and discounts to entice new customers and is not organic just to TLIne. Yes, it's frustrating but commonplace none the less. I wish you all the best continuing to wine so you can dine and for the rest engaged in this collective bargaining---best of luck!!

One small piece of advice and then I'll climb down off my soap box. For future posts Fishnski...take a deep breath before you start typing and attempt to keep the mindset that the person you're replying to is standing right in front of you. I would hope in general conversation you'd be a little more considerate of your counterpart than to spew "BS" at the culmination of a point being made. Depending on your circle of associates, that can earn you at a minimum some bad blood and wost case scenario a split lip.

It's a common problem with the anonymity that message board environments give people for there to be a reduction of inhibition. People tend to find the freedom that this type of forum provides has a tendancy to spur bold & often time abrasive commentary. With freedom comes responsibility however. I'm a huge supporter of free speech but try to curtail personal assaults and you may find others more responsive to your comments. Best regards....and great news about the NC snow. I also read portions of Michigan and Ohio are getting hit as well. Life's good!!!
fishnski
April 23, 2005
3,530 posts
Glen while i have you on your soap box the BS was in no way directed at you or your post.It was just a general BS...actually directed at TL.Chill dude! another low brained type of comment(the word "chill") I feel you owe me an apology for bieng so quick,& quite aggressive I might add in jumping all over me.Split lip?? Are you one of those people you speak of that loses thier inhibition when behind a computer? You are just too smart I think to COMPREHEND simple talk.Now I will take a deep breath & go back & read your original post.I hope to be educated.
fishnski
April 23, 2005
3,530 posts
OK Glenn_C I see why you thought i was directing my comment to you..because it says in REPLY to you.For that I am sorry! It was meant as a general reply to the group.This problem might need Scotts attention. How do we just make a general comment on a subject without having to reply to someone?
SCWVA
April 24, 2005
1,052 posts
I'm trying to figure out why there seems to be some Boy Scout bashing on this forum from time to time. Could they be jealous because the Boy Scouts get to stay at the luxurious bunkhouse? My son (who is a Boy Scout) and I (a former Boy Scout) got to stay at the Ritz (bunkhouse) during the Snowy Luau weekend. The Ritz was fully booked, the Boy Scouts had one room, while church youth groups had the remaining 5 or 6 rooms. So if you're bashing the groups at the bunkhouse, make sure you include these church groups in your bashings.

I understand why some people want to bash these groups of newbies, but for a lot of these people this is their only ski trip of the year and many of them couldn't afford to ski without these discounts. We need to share our love of the sport with these people.

It's only good business that T-line would try and attract these large groups. Offer big discounts and pack them into the bunkhouse. T-line gets to collect their $, no matter what the conditions are like, or whether they show up or even ski. By collecting $ from these people, it keeps the cost of lift tickets down for the rest of us. Most of these people in these groups don't like to ski when its cold and snowing, which leaves the freshies for the rest of us.

It would also be good business for T-line to offer discounted season tickets for first timers and repeat season pass holders (loyal) customers. Everyone who runs a business knows that you have to attract new customers and take care of your best customers. Keeping your loyal customers happy is the best and cheapest marketing you can do.

I am not actually offended by the bad mouthing of the Boy Scouts, because I got to ski for two days with my son very economically. I also know that we weren't in anyones way and we were skiing safely. I also paid an extra $15 for an upgraded lesson, which ended up being a private level 3/4 lesson for my son. So as far I as I'm concerned it was a win-win situation.
April 24, 2005
1,986 posts
Timberline is trying to cater to a high-low mix of skiers: beginners and first-timers with very limited skills and advanced skiers. For experts, this region really offers slim pickings: a trail here and a trail there but very little tree skiing off the marked system. Tree skiing depends on natural snowfall and only Timberline can consistantly deliver the goods in this regard, season after season. It generally does not happen until late Feb and early March but when it does, it's an incredible boon for experts. OTW and Drop are not the hardest trails in the region but if allowed to bump up correctly, they are loads of fun on powder days. They hold snow much better than Lower Shays, and also receive much more natural snow because of their higher elevation. It's the powder days at Timberline that are priceless, and that's the big draw.

Timberline's strategy of building another easy blue with a grade that never exceeds 25 percent is actually a huge benefit for experts because it will keep the low level skiers off the harder terrain.
Glenn_C
April 24, 2005
67 posts
I'd echo the sentiment that the boy scout and church groups are often times a hazard on some of the slopes and tend to detract from the overall ski experience for the intermediates and experts however, those youths have parents with money. It's hoped that church and boy scout ski trips will inevitably spur a spark of love for the sport which will in turn involve parents spending money for follow on family trips to see what the hoo-hah is all about. In the end, all benefit. The money flows to the resorts, it's hoped that skills improve for the scout and his/her friends and family and eventually this leads to perpetuity and expansion of the sport. The more popular an activity becomes the larger the base of providers (supply & demand) which equates to more resorts, better amenities, etc....

So next time you spot that scout boarder sitting on his a** in the middle of OTW chatting with his friends, think of him as a misguided banner carrier for future skiers. I certainly throw a courteously delivered advisal on slope etiquette but I do so in an effort to enhance the ski experience not to scare them off the slopes. It's hard to do sometimes as some youths can be amazingly thick headed but you do what you can when you can.

It's a great sport...the more the merrier.
canaanman
April 24, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Snowboarders advertising for future skiers?? Where'd you get that?

None of us ever plan to influence people to go skiing. Snowboarding, yes... Skiing no.

And fyi... we're not that great of business for resorts... we tick-off their customers, don't pay for tickets, and act like the goofy bunch of locals we are.

All this talk of snow makes me really want to go ride... but that'll have to wait until July.
fishnski
April 24, 2005
3,530 posts
C-Man if i lived close to the TL slopes I'd probably be trying to ski this late april snowstorm!! Judging the latest radar & sat obs it must be snowing pretty good up at the valley! GOT SNOWMOBILE???
bawalker
April 24, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
With the Timberline cam removed and the forrest service cam non-functioning, does anyone have pics from the last 12 hours at canaan/TLine??
Glenn_C
April 24, 2005
67 posts
Canaanman
Hah--I'd agree with you about ticking off customers. Boarders can be frustrating for skiers and vice versa, however, my analogy of the new boarder perpetuating the sport (both boarding and skiing) stands. I was not speaking in terms of snow discipline specifics. Boarding and skiing all equates to resort revenue. And whether that kid on the board intends to or not, once he gets his first taste on the church or scout outing and he gets home and talks his parents onto the hill for the follow on trip, the majority of first timers over 30 are starting out on sticks. Hence the point that regardless of your chosen discipline the sport is largely perpetuated by those youth groups. Like them or love them, a large percentage of those newbies are going to come back again and again.

"Not paying for tickets?" have you been poaching rides? Speak slowly and clearly into the microphone please...
fishnski
April 24, 2005
3,530 posts
Boy scouts will always be CHEAP....They are THRIFTY!! We need money for a high speed quad!!!!!! See ya on the slopes split lip!
SCWVA
April 24, 2005
1,052 posts
John,

I agree with you, the woods at T-line are sweet. I have been very lucky to be able to hit T-line on some of the best days they've had in the last couple of years. President's day in 2003, closing weekend 2004, and March 11, 2005. I've skied a bunch of other days at T-line, but these days were epic.

President's Day weekend 2003, T-line said they got between 40-50" out of the storm. Fresh tracks on every run on Sunday. The lifts on Monday didn't open until 12noon because they had to dig out lifts and there was a 2 1/2 story snow drift covering the deck and lift ticket windows. Guess who dug out the lift ticket windows? The Boy Scouts.

T-line has the best tree skiing south of Vermont!
canaanman
April 24, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Believe me... I've already spoken into the microphone... several times.

Not really poaching the lift... more like the park. Resorts: Don't put your parks near the base... they will get hiked.

Ever wonder about those new signs at Snowshoe, "You MUST have a ticket to enter this slope system"?
snowcone
April 25, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
bawalker:
Take a look at the Wisp cameras! Yesterday morning they were still majorily green snow-alternative .. look at them now! ... http://skiwisp.com/winter_webcams.htm ... better not wait until too late ... its now appx 7:45 Monday morning ...
bawalker
April 25, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Why must we be tortured so!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.