12 posts
4 users
3k+ views
comprex
March 20, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
I have heard of this for racing before.

Now, interestingly enough, Scott-USA is due back to the US market. On their website they post the following instructions:
Quote:

Scott knows that performance means no hazard facts; for this reason, all models of the ski range have a side edge grinded at 89° angle and bottom edge with 0.5 to 0.8° angle. The base finish is done by CNC stone grinding to give a micro structured. Precision and edge settings are combined for exceptional performances levels.

0.5 to 0.8°. Hunh. I have seen other mfgs spec +/- 0.5° as the allowable variance margin. Presumably that variance margin isn't to indicate variance from tip to tail on one ski.

- Is this really critical? I mean I would not expect to notice much difference between 3.5° and 4°, but between 0° and 0.5°?

- Is there a new level of precision called for at the shop then?

- they publish this for the freeride skis as well as the carvers. Should we believe them?
KevR
March 21, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
are you sure they don't mean possibly between the various models?
comprex
March 22, 2005
1,326 posts
KevR, pretty sure.

Well, looking at their product, I am less than impressed by the base grind structure. I've seen far better done by our local ski shops.

So, chalk it up to marketing rodomontade.
KevR
March 22, 2005
786 posts
I went to their website and looked at the skis marketd in europe. Anyway about the ONLY thing I can add (and its not much) is Scott has a new bike out this yr and it has gotten a fair amount of positive press -- being of the very light yet not seemingly stupid-light variety. Having read these articles I do know they simply farm out the actual construction taiwan.
Now, its entirely possible that similiar is occuring with these skis and what you are reading is some mumbo-jumbo to paint poor construction tolerances as SOMETHING COOL!
that's my only other theory besides typos, or poor wording...
comprex
March 22, 2005
1,326 posts
KevR did you notice that the "Scott" binding looks suspiciously like a Salomon? I was hoping that these would slot up against Dynastar as a lightweight ski with a precise Austrian-design feel. We'll see.

Which of their bikes were you looking at? They've quite a bit of a CX tradition, surprised they haven't tried to bank on that. The Speedster S2/S5, Sub10 Contessa are all unknowns and rather generic at that.
KevR
March 22, 2005
786 posts
here -- http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/scott_cr1_team_issue

MAYBE not quite here yet in the states.

I'll take a closer look at the website for their skis.
skitech
March 30, 2005
Member since 03/17/2005 🔗
12 posts
i am a local ski tech and to tell u the truth the base bevel is not really what u want to worry about as much as the side degree. u want about an 87 or 86 degree edge for superior edge grip and u most likely wont be able to feel the difference between a 0 to 0.5 degree base bevel. but these edge degrees are for expert skiers only
SCWVA
March 31, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Hey Skitech,

About a month ago I got my skis tuned at Ski Chalet. After getting them tuned, I took both pairs of freshly tuned skis out for a day on the slopes. The first two runs of the day I used by P-50's, I could not make two turns with out catching an edge, it was like i'd never skied before. I took the P-50's to the car and got my other skis which I had no problems with. I was talking with someone and they seemed to think that when I got them tuned that the edges had been beveled incorrectly.

Got any suggestions? Any help would be great. I almost threw the skis away.
comprex
March 31, 2005
1,326 posts
SCWVA, have you an Arkansas stone?
skitech
March 31, 2005
Member since 03/17/2005 🔗
12 posts
it sounds like the skis where not detuned tip and tail sorry but with the ski bussiness its hard to keep good techs around a newbe could have tuned yours up bring them to chantilly and i will fix it up n/c
SCWVA
April 1, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Thanks Skitech, I'll try and get them up to you in the next week or so. Has Ski Chalet given you a date on when (or if) they are closing their doors?

Comprex, I don't own a Arkansas stone. Can a flat file be used instead?
comprex
April 1, 2005
1,326 posts
Quote:

I don't own a Arkansas stone. Can a flat file be used instead?

Yes if you wrap some fine grit sandpaper around it. Sounds like skitech will take care of it for ya quite nicely though.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?