Snowshoe deals
12 posts
10 users
2k+ views
Jim
February 10, 2005
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Anybody got tips for deals at Snowshoe? A buddy of mine and I are thinking of trekking out there (first time) to check it out. We are, however, cheap by nature and are looking to score any legitimate deals on lodging, lift tickets, etc. Shoot, if you know of low priced gasoline on the way, we'll take those tips too!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
vesty
February 10, 2005
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
48 posts
The best advice I can offer on snowshoe lodging is to check out a place call Cass Railroad. They have 3 bedroom houses for rent really cheap.
Murphy
February 10, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
The Sprite can I had for lunch today had a $10 off lift ticket coupon on it. Not as good as the free coupons they had on the 12-packs a month ago (which I'll be using tomorrow ) but it's still $10. I think a lot of places that sell ski equipment sell discounted tickets as well (CMT in Roanoke used to but they closed).

I usually rent a condo from here: http://www.snowshoerentals.com/rates.asp decent prices but not cheap. I think they offer discounts on tickets when you rent from them. But if you want the best deal and you don't have to stay in luxury, then look here: http://www.snowshoemtn.com/hotdeals.html
twin58
February 10, 2005
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Check the Bargain Tracker link at DC Ski. If you show a Harris Teeter VIC (frequent flyer) card at the Snowshoe ticket window, you will be able to get one free lift ticket for every lift ticket you buy during midweek.

http://www.dcski.com/bargaintracker/index.php

Lift Ticket Special at Snowshoe with Harris Teeter VIC Card
http://www.harristeeter.com/Default.aspx?pageId=48&promo=37
TLaHaye
February 10, 2005
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
Just pay attention to the Hot Deals on the Snowshoe website. My son and I just spent the weekend in a 1 BR at SilverCreek for $199 each including two days' tickets. Then, Thursday before we left, they offered us Sunday night for $50 (without tickets). We ended up with three days (Saturday thru Monday) and three nights for under $500 including lifts.

If you stay at Snowshoe, bring your own food/groceries. The restaraunts and provisions stores were incredibly expensive.
davis
February 11, 2005
Member since 01/20/2005 🔗
21 posts
If you are interested in staying on the mountain in a ski in ski out place. We rent our top of the world units through Snowshoe. They are one bedroom and will comfortably sleep two. Weekday rentals are the cheapest way to go.

Our Website is www.snowshoemountain.net

We are running a weekday sprecial of 10% off Snowshoe prices on Ebay. That link is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Weekday Lift tickets with your harris teeter vic card are buy one get one free.

Other units that are real reasonable on the mountain are in Spruce lodge, no frills, but ski in ski out.

If you are willing to stay off the mountain the CASS units are a good deal.

As far as food, breakfast and lunch are reasonable, but depending on where you go dinner can get pricy. Dinner idea split a burger or chicken sandwich (with fries) and order a couple bowls of chili from the Junction. As far as drinks the best time to go out is happy hour from 4-7. Both the junction and foxfire run $2 domestics, well drinks and wine. Happy hour in Silver Creek is usually 7-9.

Coming from the South the cheapest place to get gas is in Martinsville in VA.

Good luck
TOMF
February 11, 2005
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
You could call the Ski Chalet in Chantilly and see if they have any vouchers for SS lift tickets left. The vouchers save you about $12. Be sure to specifiy weekend or weekday. These are not available in the Arlington store.

Tom
TOMF
February 11, 2005
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
If you take Rt. 55 west from I-81, the two cheapest places to buy gas on the entire route to SS are the first two stations on 55. The first is about 3 miles west of I-81. The second is about 7 miles west of I-81. Prices at the second station are lower, but it closes at about 5 PM and has no restrooms. The first station closes at about 9 PM. The last reasonable place to buy gas is the Sheets station on the west side of Petersburg. Prices there are OK, but no great bargain.

Tom
JR
February 11, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Yeah, and remember there is nothing in the way of gas from Petersburg to near Green Bank (except for one "Best" station that was closed after 5pm the day I came back) so check your gas before you start that stretch. I was champing at the bit through there last time.
kennedy
February 11, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
On the way back last weekend gas at the Sheetz was something Like $1.67 for regular. I payed way over the top at the BP on 28 just before you get to the mountain. That said it was worth it just so I could go in and check out the huge amount of tacky tourist crap they had inside. I seriously suggest you check it out when you head up. It kept my group amused for a good half hour. I think the place is called Henry's. They even have the olde pumps with the rotating number dials that reset when you flip down the lever, thats oldschool.
snowcone
February 11, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Love the Petersburg Sheets! We always top up there on the way to and from Snowshoe just for safety's sake. As you said, its has amazing kitsch and noshies, plus the ladies room is clean. And considering the gas prices we pay in Montgomery county, the Sheets is dirt cheap.
Murphy
February 11, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
I hear people complain about the food prices at snowshoe all the time but I would imagine it's cheaper than the average place in DC. I was there today and had a chicken philly for $6.50. Not cheap but probably the same as your average bar and grill. Now that can get expensive if you do it 3 meals a day for several days but that would be true of anywhere, not just a ski resort.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?