Whitetail Report Evening of Jan. 13
8 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,344 posts
I was there last night and am happy to report that WT is in amazingly good shape for the end of such a long warm spell and should be able to rebuild quickly after it turns cold. There were a few mud patches and rocks but overall coverage was astonishing after almost 2 full weeks when temps never allowed snowmaking. I checked my skis on return home and have only a few small nicks on the edges which will polish out with a diamond stone. There is one small crease in the base not near the edge. (Modern bases seem to be vastly tougher than just a few years ago.)
JohnL
January 13, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Looks like Whitetail will be able to stay open until the snowmaking temps hit tomorrow. From their webcam, the cold front won't hit a moment too soon. I'm amazed they were able to pull it off, but the ability to stay open has been important. It's bad for business to have to close for a day or two prior to one of the biggest weekends of the year.

As you and others have pointed out, there were still some good turns to be had during this period of miserable weather.
ScotS244
January 13, 2005
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
This is really nice to hear. I'm playing hooky next Thursday and will attack it from open to about 12:30. Please holler if you're going to be there!
warren
January 13, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
As of right now, I'm going to go there on Sunday (given they can really blow snow starting Friday afternoon ) I'll let you know how it was on Sunday if the trip comes off.
-Warren-
Bill
January 14, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
They have closed for today, will re-open tomorrow. They plan on cranking up the snow guns later today when the temp drops and blowing all night and through the weekend. They expect to be blowing for the next 10 days or so according to weather predications there.

Bill
JohnL
January 14, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Quote:

Looks like Whitetail will be able to stay open until the snowmaking temps hit tomorrow.

As soon as I posted this, I knew it was the kiss of death. It's not surprising Whitetail is closed today given how much rain we got last night/this morning near DC. From Whitetail's webcam, this recent rain really did a job what cover they had left.

No worries. With the cold temps returning, conditions should be great by mid-week. However, this Saturday (or even Sunday) may be dicey. Holiday crowds, limited open terrain, snow guns blasting, and it may take 24-48 hours of snowmaking to fill in some of the bare spots. The ground is currently pretty wet and warm.
langleyskier
January 14, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I know the cams look bad but i am planning to tough it out tomorrow (sat) and test my luck. Hopefully they will turn on the guns shortly and be able to groom it all out in the morning to make a respectable base.
Ill post a report after i return to let all of you who are going sunday know how it is.

Cold Weather Is Back!!!!!!!!!!
warren
January 17, 2005
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Langley,
I went yesterday and it wasn't bad. The snow was kind of heavy as they were making it fairly wet. The heavy snow really held an edge nicely though. Late on, bumps started to form and it was even more fun. No lift lines while we were there (8:30 - 2:00). The only thing that I can say is watch out for rocks!.

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.