Whitetail shut down today
8 posts
6 users
1k+ views
PhysicsMan
January 5, 2005
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
While there is lots of incentive for mgmt to keep us open, and not too many brown patches yet ( http://www.skiwhitetail.com/camera.htm ), with the weather predicted for the next several days ( http://www.weather.com/outlook/recr...rom=search_vert ), I just can't imagine the base holding up or enough people coming out to ski to make it worthwhile.

This is horrible.

Tom / PM
KevR
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
i dunno, it does seem to show a slight dip in temps over the next 3 days. I was thinking of skiing on Saturday even if it was fairly slushy as my first outing of the yr (being unable to ski till now due to other factors)

So if whitetail or roundtop is open, i will *likely* go.. even if just for 4 hrs.
kennedy
January 5, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
If they can make a little snow with some temp dips I saw projected and the cover looks somewhat reasonable I'll try to go Sunday just to show a little support. I'll pray they don't tear down the kickers in the park for additional resources. I know they did at Whitetail during that awful winter a few years back.
PhysicsMan
January 5, 2005
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
On the forecast that I cited, the nighttime lows for Thursday and Friday were indeed somewhat below freezing (30 deg), but the humidity looked high on Thursday. Unfortunately, to make snow at such temps, the humidity has to be a lot lower. At least on Friday they weren't calling for rain. Maybe we'll get lucky and they can turn the guns on for a few hours.

Tom / PM
SCWVA
January 5, 2005
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I went to Whitetail on Tuesday afternoon. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the conditions. Skied Angel Drop, Drop in, & Exhibition for four hours. There were very few if any bare spots on these trails. The bare spots that were there were easily avoidable due to the lack of skiers and boarders. Exhibtion had a good line through the bumps and the troughs had no mud, brown spots, or rocks. The one bare spot you can see in the webcam. With some grooming Exhibtion should make it till the weekend. I also thought the terrain park was in good shape. All in all it was well worth the trip.

FYI - Whitetail was offering a full refund/voucher if you didn't like the conditions after an hour of skiing.
langleyskier
January 5, 2005
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
If i can get some friends to come with me i am hoping to visit whitetail on friday night. I think that there conditions will be respectable but am not sure. If anyone goes there on thursday please e-mail me at skilangley@hotmail.com with a report. Most like ly i will go no matter what i am just happy that whiteail has done an amazing job keeping up the slopes with these conditions.
PRAY FOR SNOW
KevR
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I have skied there on several occasion in rather poor conditions (slush) down very narrow lines down the trail and have enjoyed myself for several hrs... so, if 1 blue is open, I will likely go -- prefer to have a few more choices of course.
JohnL
January 5, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I try to ski at least once a week during ski season to keep the timing down and the ski muscles in shape, so if one of the Snowtime areas has at least one blue open this weekend, I'll be there. Most likely Sunday, since I'll be cheering Carolina on against the Twerps on Saturday.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?