offseason fitness

18 posts
9 users
5k+ views
snapdragon
6 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
529 posts
eye try to ride across the country before turkey day...about 20 miles at a time...took 160 rides last year...29er full squish pivot switchblade...how bout yewins...yew!
wgo DCSki Supporter
6 months ago
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,827 posts
My AI assistant says I should be doing Bulgarian split squats.
wgo DCSki Supporter
6 months ago (edited 6 months ago)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,827 posts
Stephen
6 months ago
Member since 02/16/2024 🔗
225 posts

That's pretty good. I hike more than bike.

snapdragon wrote:

eye try to ride across the country before turkey day...about 20 miles at a time...took 160 rides last year...29er full squish pivot switchblade...how bout yewins...yew!
needawax DCSki Supporter
6 months ago
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
223 posts

Hiking and biking all good for the legs. I do bike a lot from mid April to about June.  But I like to swim in the "off season" - it sort of works the muscles all over; keeps things in check.

Leo
5 months ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
396 posts


 Mountain biking (IMO) is the best off season training option.  Similar muscle groups and 100% similar sport as far as picking a line, seeing down the trail ahead of you, etc.

I do like to mix in running and lifting and think everyone should have other pursuits.

But as far as 1 for 1 best off season thing to do to keep in skiing shape, for me it's mountain biking.

Switchblade is a great bike too.  

snapdragon wrote:

eye try to ride across the country before turkey day...about 20 miles at a time...took 160 rides last year...29er full squish pivot switchblade...how bout yewins...yew!
Stephen
5 months ago
Member since 02/16/2024 🔗
225 posts
I agree that mountain biking is great.  For some reason, I don't enjoy it no where close to how much I like skiing.  I can't figure out why that is.  It seems to me it should be pretty similar.  Maybe because it's more accessible, and I get my fill.
snapdragon
5 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
529 posts
thanks...it has been a reliable steed...seen a couple podiums...watched me leak red more than once...gets me to all the primo snake localities...flipping cover works the upper body...let's go...yew!  btw...catchnrelease only
needawax DCSki Supporter
4 months ago
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
223 posts

What I like to do after I get bored of MTB and hiking (and I do rather quickly / I totally get the biking thing...), is just walk a lot. Or light jog. Keeps the legs rolling and does enough lower body muscle work in preparation for the next season. Especially if you walk on a lot of inclines / declines. 

snapdragon
4 months ago (edited 4 months ago)
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
529 posts
one xl race down...short track starts wed @ wakefield...grand tour around the corner...quit dropping the line closing day...48 rides...85 hours in the saddle...42650' vert...860 miles...pivot switchblade full squish 29er...like i told chuck norris r.i.p. it's not hard to get hard it's hard to stay hard stay hard chuck...yew!
SuicideSix
4 months ago
Member since 01/23/2022 🔗
37 posts

Some fun & useful programs from Hannah Kearney --

fitnessfromafar.com



Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
190 posts
I started Pilates Reformers few weeks ago.  It is good to strengthen my core, which is essential to skiing at a higher level.  I also started yoga and swimming. Hope my endurance and stamina will be better by winter for skiing! 
👍 1
natehurst
one month ago
Member since 02/27/2025 🔗
29 posts


 I'm also a reformer pilates guy -- I go to solidcore three or four times a week ... have been since 2022. It's made a noticeable improvement in my skiing!

fosphenytoin wrote:

I started Pilates Reformers few weeks ago.  It is good to strengthen my core, which is essential to skiing at a higher level.  I also started yoga and swimming. Hope my endurance and stamina will be better by winter for skiing! 
needawax DCSki Supporter
one month ago
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
223 posts

I've spent the late summer walking briskly uphill and briskly downhill at Hidden Valley, from the top down to the lodge, and back up again.  Once or twice a week for a month and a half or so and that usually gets me where I need to be before the snow flies.  I enjoy skiing a lot but I don't enjoy complex programmatic workouts.  A bit of swimming added in there usually does it for me.  Depends on what your definition of ski shape is, I guess.  Or your current health and shape, naturally. 

I realize from teaching skiing that core/chest (and their attitude/position in skiing form) is a major factor, but honestly for me it has always been in the legs, feet, and ankles. Strength that translates to rotor/pressure movement. But apart from "leaning forward" and head position, I mostly focused from the waist down with students.  And I get that same exercise from jogging, walking, or swimming.  

👍 1
wfyurasko
one month ago
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
411 posts

The day after Halloween, I start doing wall sits daily. Or at least, I try to. The two things that made me a better skier were wall-sits and skiing with somebody better than me. I wish it were skiing more frequently, but it's 1-3 times a season. 

In the "offseason" I bicycle, kayak and play broomball. I suppose the bicycling helps the most, especially if I find some managable hills from time to time. Actually, broomball is year round and bicycling is pretty close to year round. 

I really want to focus on my core and improving my lateral stability. I can't ice skate any more, my knees wobble too much. I'm open to suggestions. Part of the issue is I find gyms tedious which is why I like kayaking and cycling so much. 

snapdragon
one month ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
529 posts
so far...114 rides...2201 miles...112076' vert...209:00 in the saddle...2 xxl xc races...4 short track xc races...1 gran tour...five foot nine...a buck forty five...ripped like a demon...at the line live...yew!
Stephen
one month ago
Member since 02/16/2024 🔗
225 posts

53 shows streamed... 878 beers drunk...five foot two....four bucks fifty five... round like a ball... no need to ski, roll me down the hill.. yew!

snapdragon wrote:

so far...114 rides...2201 miles...112076' vert...209:00 in the saddle...2 xxl xc races...4 short track xc races...1 gran tour...five foot nine...a buck forty five...ripped like a demon...at the line live...yew!
👍 2
snapdragon
one month ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
529 posts
cvr has a bowling alley...yew!