There...I've Said It.
23 posts
9 users
9k+ views
Leo
March 6, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
65 and sunny has me thinking about a taking a ride...and in early Spring, that's always nice. Even if it means that the end of ski season will soon be upon us.

grin grin
KeithT
March 6, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Thinkin the same thing walking to lunch today in 70 degree temps. Hard to keep the bad thoughts out of your mind.
kennedy
March 6, 2009
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Heading to western Maryland tonight. Bringing the board so I can hit WT on the way back (free ticket to use up), maybe bringing the bike isn't a bad idea.
fishnski
March 6, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I'll be Fishing in mid to upper 70's this weekend down here in the Carolinas...But I'll be watching for that inevitable late season WV Alpps Style Snow fest to properly say goodbye to Winter!!...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
tgd
March 9, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Well, my last ride was last Tuesday on some sweet snow-covered singletrack at Wakefield Park here in lovely flatland Fairfax. I took my singlespeed MTB out with a homemade studded front tire. At the time I thought it was crazy that there was more snow in northern VA than Canaan Valley.

I've got all my bikes tuned up and ready for the trail and road - but I, like Sir Fish'n'Ski, am still hoping for a late season snowstorm to whiten-up Timberline's muddy and leaf-covered ski trails before Snowy Luau.

Tom
kwillg6
March 9, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Keep the faith. We're gonna get at least one more good one in the Apps or maybe even further east. BTW, Jimmy has returned and maybe brought us some fresh pow-pow in his suitcase wink. Those leaves and dirty snow gotta go.... frown
kennedy
March 9, 2009
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I shall begin the act of faking out the weather. This is a subtle dance that must be played just right. I believe the payoff may be something in the region of a 2-4' dump of the finest lightest driest powder.

First I must take all my snowboarding gear and put it into storage. It's vital that it not be readily accessible, this includes taking the bindings off my board and putting them in storage too. Next I shall burn my boots. Yes burn them, storage will not do. Next I must leave the country for a week. During this week away it shall dump here like never before and there will be much rejoicing. Said snow will also evaporate the day I am to return. I do this not for me but for my snow sliding brethren. Enjoy.

BTW WT was rough this past weekend. Will be amazed if they are open this weekend.
David
March 9, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Kennedy, thank you for your selfless efforts to provide your fellow friends with the powder that we have been so deprived of over the past few weeks!! smile
fishnski
March 9, 2009
3,530 posts
Its gettin on down heya..so take off all yo clothes...84 degrees & sunburnt down here at the beach...Winter seems so far away....
crunchy
March 9, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: Leo
65 and sunny has me thinking about a taking a ride...

many had the same thoughts... and felt real darn good doin it! smile

Leo
March 10, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Crunchy -- thanks for the pics. It's always good to see riding photos, but I really like the mountains/moon shot. Where were you riding??
RodSmith
March 10, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Whitetail is finished? Damn.

Last Monday, I rode to the nearest trailhead for a quick ski before work.

A week later I was riding in shorts.

Photo courtesy of Joel Gwadz from Gwadzilla.blogspot.com. Close ups of the biker in the background of this shot there and more. 'Nuff said.
kennedy
March 10, 2009
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
They might be open this weekend I would just be kind of wary of conditions. They were pretty rough on Sunday. Lots of big puke patches, what wasn't bare was kind of a crunchy crusty layer. There were some patches of slightly more loose granular stuff. The top of Farside was super fun and Bold Decision was actually pretty good too. Limelight was interesting. Most of the patches are marked with stakes but I came over a roller at one point and had to hit the brakes, nice long unmarked patch right in front of me. I let them know and they got it marked up so hopefully no one fell foul of it.

I heard Liberty is still looking good so that might be worth it if you want the quick local fix.
fishnski
March 10, 2009
3,530 posts
There will be cold temps up at the highlands wed thru sat but Who will blow?? There are very cold temps way up north that will probably work its way down south too late for a lot of areas...Blizzard up in the Dakotas right now....Blizzard in the Alpps late march/early April??...Snowy Luau??
David
March 10, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Rod, I like the set up you got there. Although I don't do it for a living (more for hauling gear when trout fishing), I've got a few bike trailers that get a good bit of use when the weather is good.
kennedy
March 10, 2009
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
There will be cold temps up at the highlands wed thru sat but Who will blow?? There are very cold temps way up north that will probably work its way down south too late for a lot of areas...Blizzard up in the Dakotas right now....Blizzard in the Alpps late march/early April??...Snowy Luau??

That's the kicker right now. Even if we get cold enough there is no guarantee anyone will fire the guns up. I would hope that they would at least make enough to maintain whats currently open or at least as much as makes sense.
RodSmith
March 10, 2009
318 posts
I'm fine with big bare spots, as long as the corn patches are connected, even narrow ribbon connections. I love it, some of the best days I've had were like that. A glass half full (of locals only, short sleeves and halter tops, soft bump spring fun).
fishnski
March 10, 2009
3,530 posts
Are you a Bike Courier?...I Did that for about 9 months in DC...went thru 3 bikes..did triple flips over Cabs...opened Doors Ect...drove thru a winter of hell with very cold rain puddles & blinding snow in my face...glad to be semi retired at the Beach!!!
RodSmith
March 10, 2009
318 posts
I used to be a bike courier. It was hell. I'm a freight biker now. No more triple flips over cabs for me, thank you very much.
RodSmith
March 11, 2009
318 posts
fishn, sorry for the snarky answer. Who did you work for?

Kennedy, thanks for the report. I'm going to be there Saturday. A friend called last night and offered to take me because we haven't skied together this season and this weekend might be the last chance for Whitetail, his preferred day trip destination.
crunchy
March 11, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: Leo
I really like the mountains/moon shot. Where were you riding??

all over da place! smile the moon rise one was taken in the seneca creek backcountry in randolph county. the rest around davis/thomas.

Rod, love the shot of the trailer with the waxless fischers! i was gonna try to combine a bike and ski session last weekend but didnt pan out. Ride up forest road 80 behind tline with the skis on the pack.. ski down and back up salamander!!
tgd
March 14, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I stayed home this weekend to paint, and ended up mountain biking today instead. I hit pretty much all the singletrack at Wakefield and Lake Accotink with a friend and his 14 year old son (riding a rigid fixed gear 29er no less).

While I've been skiing just about every weekend since December - they've been riding and riding and riding. All over the place - Fountainhead, Gambrill, Frederick WaterShed. Wakefield and Accotink are bike paths in comparison to these places.

Anyway, I had a day of suffering. I sucked so much wind it was impossible for me to keep up with them. I was pleased that my technical skills were sharp, but I have a long way to come back into shape for riding this year.

Wakefield and Accotink trails are my local rides - I rode there almost 50 times last year. They are very close to the house - I can even ride to them almost entirely off-road. They both have great networks of singletrack - some build under the supervision of IMBA's expert trail builders. It really shows.

Though it has been a great ski season, my family had some trials this winter and I need a change. I am ready to trade my K2's for a pair of nice fat Kendas and get my fill of 3 three awesome seasons of riding. I love cycling - but I never thought I would feel this way about the end of ski season - I always hate to see the ski season close. Ride on!

Tom
fishnski
March 15, 2009
3,530 posts
yeh..I know what you mean about sucking wind & being out of Shape...Went fishing the other day & damb if all that casting & 12 ounce curls didn't leave me gasping for breath...it was all I could do to reel in a 12 inch fish!..better get myself prepared for next weeks 15 incher & I'm Glad My engine ran..rowing is out of the question at this point. blush

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.