Off-seaspon sports/acitivites?
23 posts
14 users
14k+ views
skiobsessed
March 15, 2009
Member since 03/10/2008 🔗
80 posts
As the ski season closes for the Mid-Atlantic, I was just wondering what activities/sports would develop muscles/skills that will also help your skiing?

I plan on just being more active and losing about 10-15 lbs for better mobility, what about you guys?
JohnL
March 16, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I play ice hockey 2-3 times a week year round, so that is my primary "ski training" activity. (Hockey is starting to displace skiing as my number one sport.)

After skiing two straight weeks in Utah (with some days off in the middle), I've decided I need to increase my off-season activity if I want to ski as well, hard and long as I want. Big difference between the Mid Atlantic and off-piste in Utah. (I tend to forget that each summer.)

For me:
- Hit the gym 2-3 times a week, concentrating on strength training (core, lower body, upper body.)
- Occasional biking and running to train different muscles.
- Pylometrics. (If I can get motivated. We'll see if that happens. laugh )
- Ski more often early next season (and the end of this season.)
- Plenty of training recovery drinking summer beer.
BushwackerinPA
March 16, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I bike alot, but I would do that more if I didnt ski so much in fact I never really quit biking this year/

I also climb, do yoga, and like to do other thing like swim and hike.

I dont train though, never have never will its about having fun and if i am not having fun Id be happy to be fat and lazy smile.
crunchy
March 16, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
xc mountain biking! can one of the most physically challenging sports imo. builds and keeps up.... endurance, balance, muscles.. not just legs either, cardio, and even decision making skills if there is such a thing smile
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I plan to bike more and continue my weekly routine of strength training M-W-F and aerobics the other days. I'll do day hikes, maybe backpack and try to keep as much active fun as possible on my 'training' schedule.
KeithT
March 16, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
I am continuing my section hiking of the AT from the Susquehanna to the James River. I will also try to mtn. bike locally here up near Fredrick, and perhaps a weekend trip to Wisp for some lift-assisted rides. I also have a few whitewater trips planned. And of course, spend some time at the beach. Thinking of all of this, I am not so depressed now that the season is at an end for me.
skiobsessed
March 16, 2009
80 posts
So it seems like mountain-biking is popular on this forum - probably why there's a biking section smile. I just learned to ride a bicycle two years ago, and I decided to take up biking after I started skiing. Skiing made me really appreciate the beauty that nature brings, and biking is a way of being one with nature for me.

I'm going to continue working on my never-ending quest to be better in basketball and tennis during the summer. We'll see how that translate to skiing next season.

Oh, call me crazy, but I'm planning on starting up the "sweet science" as well, at the young age of 28! If nothing else, it has to be a great total body workout.

Enjoy the offseason!
fishnski
March 16, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Loading & unloading gear for boating/fishing..pulling up Crab pots..Shaking them out...riding bronco like boatrides offshore..riding my bike down the road to ck my minnow pots...riding my bike to the country store for more beer...Hopefully fighting some decent fish...holding on to sharks to get the hook out for release...winching my boats up to the trailer...running my dogs on the beach..swimming/boogie boarding/surfing/snorkling....& hitting the Heavy bag hanging from a live oak in my back yard in case any of y'all get uppity with me eek grin

Not to mention a very physical job moving heavy freight around...Thats about it..sure there is more...
fishnski
March 16, 2009
3,530 posts
& throwing a cast net for bait..any of you tried that?...can be hard work...digging clams..running after fiddler crabs for bait...I'm going to try spearfishing this year...running from the ole lady when she's pissed at me...
fishnski
March 16, 2009
3,530 posts
Sea Kayaking..Duh...Strong currents around our back waters here..

is leaf raking/lawn mowing a sport?..I got trees that shed in spring & fall...Ok..I'm gumped out & I'm sure you all are too blush...just thinking of it reminds me why I love skiing & Winter...it gives me a break!
David
March 16, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
pulling up Crab pots..Shaking them out...

..running from the owner of said pots....

hitting the Heavy bag hanging from a live oak in my back yard in case any of y'all get uppity with me eek grin

by ya'll, you mean owner of said pots...

running from the ole lady when she's pissed at me...

I've met Betterhalfski. She'd never get that mad at you...
fishnski
March 17, 2009
3,530 posts
Mannnn..Should have never let you hear that story blush..your getting funnier though..you muddah!...
Forgot about pulling up anchors...great workout!..ok..lets get back to bike riding...this beach aerobic thing seems to have killed this thread...

I like JohnL's Hockey gig..They have an ice Skating rink here at the beach now with a hockey program...I'd have to get much better at skating though...any golfers out there?..like to learn that too...so much to do ..so little time....to rest, where's my couch?.......Tennis anyone?...
KeithT
March 17, 2009
383 posts
...digging clams...
Never dug for clams befor--I've "signed" em and raked em (up north) but where I come from you just wade out in the bay and shuffle your feet around until you feel them. Quite productive and you take along a kiddie float full of beer and when the beer is gone you'll have a float full of clams.
fishnski
March 17, 2009
3,530 posts
Yeh Mr T ,I meant raking them which is a hard labor of love. The ones up north are closer to the surface I guess..getting them the way you mentioned..seems like a cool way to spend the day!..I quit oystering because that is another hardship that can be hurtful because they are so sharp down here in the se coast of NC!..Commercial guys need to make a livin & there arn't that many to go around nowadays..

I cannot believe the Golfers on the Board are not chiming in..is that not a sport for off season skiers?...not agressive enough...too laid back with golfcarts?...There are all kinds of off season activities but we have only heard of a few...I just brought up the Beach Aerobics because I figured no one would think of Beach/Fishing activities as a workout or sport...But its a TOUGH job/sport & somebody has to do it cool
Murphy
March 17, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
I'll say it:

Golf (no cart)
Hiking
Mountain Biking
Fishing (it's almost a sport if you wade in a current)
Swimming in the Lake with the kids

Sadly, I won't get to do any of these activities more than a couple of time...well except for the swimming one. Always got time for the kids.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Offseason Activities over time, Spring through Fall:

- March - get depressed about crappy Mid-Altantic weather and deteriorating ski conditions...drink heavily
- April - get withdrawal symptoms from lack of skiing...drink heavily
- April - wife starts busting me for not getting my chores done like cleaning up all the leaves that I didn't clean up in the fall and of course...drinking heavily
May - finally start to forget skiing and start doing yard cleanup, hiking, biking and thinking about skiing next year. Drying out a little from all that drinking
June - it's Summer and I am swimming, fishing, hiking and biking and starting to party, thus...drinking heavily.
July, August - same as June.
September - Swimming coming to an end, great for biking, hiking , maybe a little fishing. It's the start of fall so we must celebrate the up coming harvest and thus...drink heavily.
October...fest - need I say more. Start to salivate over Ski magazines.
November - get our first tracks and celebrate by...drinking heavily.
December - back to normal, skiing and drinking heavily.

Fishnski - how about catching some crabs for us ...we'll steam them, eat them, drink beer and forget about this sorry end to the ski season. And speaking of crabbing, that is something I have not done since I was a kid. It was great fun until one crab grabbed my finger with his claw...ouch! Brings back some wonderful memories, none the less.
skiobsessed
March 17, 2009
80 posts
pulling up Crab pots..Shaking them out...

I spent one morning back in the summer of 2007 with a waterman at Tangier Island for a class. We started at 4 am in the morning and didn't stop until 12 pm pulling crab pots. It's hard work, and I have a lot of respect for watermen.
KeithT
March 17, 2009
383 posts
Sorry, I had to call you on that one. Anybody who skis and has crab pots is OK in my book. Now if you keep you crabs in a live box you would achieve hero status.
Eug
March 17, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Rock climbing (mostly indoors) and running. Rock climbing works on your quads/legs quite a bit. It is a full body work out.

I keep trying to suggest climbing as a great alternative work out in this forum but nobody seems to be interested...

IF you are, there is still time to use the climbing passes for the Ovarian Cancer Research fund raiser that I am actively involved with.

Disclaimer: You do not have to have ovaries to participate in this event. Just know somebody who has a pair.
fishnski
March 17, 2009
3,530 posts
Rock climbing...got to be some stories from some of you all about climbing Seneca Rocks. Driving from Petersburg,WV & down thru & past Seneca rocks there seems to be rock climbing Galore!..Good Sport for some hardy folks (not me,but I wish)..Good luck with your fundraiser Eug!

I remember Fishing in the upper Potomac & Shenandoah Rivers where all the rapids & currents were & your right Murphy..Thats Sporting..watch out for the Snakes!..Mr T might like the float fishing thru Harpers ferry after his clamming story smile

Funny stuff Mr Smith...I need a beer after that!

Photography can be a sport when your a crunchy (dcski poster)& the likes type dude or Gal & get your photos either Hiking or biking in the back country...sorry David...riding the chairlift in the fall to take pretty pics is not a sport smirk

Oh & I'm not a commercial Crabber Skiobsessed..I'm only allowed 5 pots recreationally..but those 5 give me a good Idea what the commercial guys go thru!...I have to shake & shake some pots to get a couple of Stubburn crabs out & I get scratched up at times..Happy work!
& Mr Smith...you let a little pinch from a crab get to you?...If it has been a good harvest I hang one off of each ear as I head back to Dock...Its a tradition down here & it means.....That I must be drinking Heavily!~
RSparer
March 19, 2009
Member since 12/27/2001 🔗
13 posts
Roller blading is the best cross training.I haven't done that for awhile but I plan on whipping mine out over the summer.
comprex
March 26, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 27, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
GOLF....BOATING...WATCHING THE TIDE RISE AND FALL...did I say "golf"?
The Colonel smile

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.