Canaan new operator?
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Patf1engineer
one month ago (edited one month ago)
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts

So I just heard some chatter about Canaan getting a new operator. And that new operator being someone that runs a resort very close to it…

I find this difficult to believe considering Indy passes are now on sale and they include Canaan as a resort.

I do not consider that source to be credible but I figured I would ask if anyone heard anything similar. 

Lastrun
one month ago
Member since 06/20/2023 🔗
7 posts
I have heard this rumor as well, my source is credible (in the industry) but was repeating a rumor.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Chip Chase takes over Canaan !!!!!!  Think of the possibilities !
swoop
one month ago
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
64 posts

Also heard same rumor regarding the Perfects, my source was ski patrol from PNS.

The business and financial model would surely be interesting.  Anyone have experience with being a non-owner operator?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago (edited one month ago)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

swoop wrote:

Also heard same rumor regarding the Perfects, my source was ski patrol from PNS.

The business and financial model would surely be interesting.  Anyone have experience with being a non-owner operator?

After 2008, Boyne Resorts was not the owner of quite a few of the resorts for which they were the operator.  Included Sunday River, Loon, and Brighton.  Boyne Resorts eventually bought the resorts back.  The owner was a REIT so it was always meant as a short term ownership.

As I understand it Winter Park is owned by the City of Denver, with Alterra as the operator.  Mt. Sunapee is owned by the State of NH, and operated by Vail Resorts.

Patf1engineer
one month ago
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts

Laurel Mountain in PA is a similar setup with it being situated in a state park and Vail being the concessionaire. That arrangement is a little odd since Vail also, technically, owns the lodge and some other infrastructure.

I think there is some nice terrain at Canaan and it definitely would benefit from expanded snowmaking and lift replacements, but that would be a costly undertaking.

marzNC wrote:

swoop wrote:

After 2008, Boyne Resorts was not the owner of quite a few of the resorts for which they were the operator.  Included Sunday River, Loon, and Brighton.  Boyne Resorts eventually bought the resorts back.  The owner was a REIT so it was always meant as a short term ownership.

As I understand it Winter Park is owned by the City of Denver, with Alterra as the operator.  Mt. Sunapee is owned by the State of NH, and operated by Vail Resorts.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?