Canaan Valley
37 posts
17 users
9k+ views
teleman
April 22, 2022
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Canaan Valley Passes are $450 at the preseason rates.  They were $300 last season; a substantial increase.  Way overpriced considering it takes them two months to open 3 trails from the top and they offer a minimal season.      

https://www.canaanresort.com/ski-winter-activities/skiing-snowboarding/season-passes/

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
April 22, 2022
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
true, but then twice a year they'll get a foot of snow and open the entire mountian for one day, and you get pipeline access.  it's magical :-)
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
April 25, 2022
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
Maybe they are trying to run the business backwards- raise prices and then improve the product?
kwillg6
May 1, 2022
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

There are some other issues coming into play that will be addressed soon. Don't expect that price to stick.  

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snapdragon
May 1, 2022
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
What's the skinny...hope it is for the good.
kwillg6
May 2, 2022
2,066 posts
I believe any CVR fans will be pleased.   Stay tuned....
May 2, 2022
259 posts
For DCSki forum folks the only announcement that would be truly appreciated would be a new vendor/management company.  Or a new contract that actually incentivizes and/or allocates money to the ski area. 
Norsk
May 3, 2022
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
When skiing is only one of many "amenities"...
kwillg6
May 3, 2022
2,066 posts

It will be close to your suggestion but not a change as you suggest.  There's a contract in existence so that's not possible.  

Timothy.grasso
May 4, 2022
Member since 11/20/2018 🔗
70 posts
I hope it involves more snow making on "natural" trails... or just more snow making!
nickhaas212
May 5, 2022
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

Are they looking at making a big announcement in regards to upgrades (lifts, snowmaking,etc.) or that they have contracted a new ops team to run the show? I wonder if they asked the Perfects to run their mountain for them....

kwillg6 wrote:

It will be close to your suggestion but not a change as you suggest.  There's a contract in existence so that's not possible.  

kwillg6
May 13, 2022 (edited May 13, 2022)
2,066 posts
There will be a change in personnel on mountain. The issues that confronted the resort last season will hopefully be behind them but that is dependent on the state's commitment to upgrades which are long overdue.  More announcements as things develop. If this sounds like I'm side stepping, it is.   I haven't seen or heard anything definitive but expect it to come soon to sooth the curious.  
nickhaas212
May 15, 2022
68 posts

I don't think this is side steeping. It is better to see the truth when it comes out rather than speculate on things that may not be realistic; especially, from this group. Love this mountain but it is not living up to its potential. 

It is sometimes fun to speculate though! 

kwillg6 wrote:

There will be a change in personnel on mountain. The issues that confronted the resort last season will hopefully be behind them but that is dependent on the state's commitment to upgrades which are long overdue.  More announcements as things develop. If this sounds like I'm side stepping, it is.   I haven't seen or heard anything definitive but expect it to come soon to sooth the curious.  
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
May 15, 2022
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
The meadows are really nice on a powder day.  Of course, they are rarely open.  😉
Timothy.grasso
June 6, 2022
Member since 11/20/2018 🔗
70 posts
update?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
June 7, 2022
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Improvements at Canaan Valley would be most welcome. It has to rise with the rising tide in the valley. Also, improved snowmaking at the very minimum would enable it to open and sustain more terrain during the season and hopefully take some heat off Timberline on weekends, especially Saturdays.
June 9, 2022
259 posts
CVR isn't a ski resort.  It's a 4 season resort with skiing.  The mgmt company is probably measured on hotel occupancy and revenue, with everything else secondary.  Would be fascinating to see the numbers- which grosses more, the golf course or the ski hill?  And which is more profitable...
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
June 17, 2022
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

CVR isn't a ski resort.  It's a 4 season resort with skiing.  The mgmt company is probably measured on hotel occupancy and revenue, with everything else secondary.  Would be fascinating to see the numbers- which grosses more, the golf course or the ski hill?  And which is more profitable...

CVR will benefit from post-COVID conferences, weddings, and other events. I hope either Guest Services or the state of West Virginia steps in SOON to improve the ski resort. New York State is stepping up to the plate to invest in Whiteface. Cannon Mountain is petitioning New Hampshire for a tram upgrade or replacement with a gondola. In short, there’s some precedent for continued state investment in skiing. Let’s hope we see some improvements at CVR soon.

bryantfsu93
June 20, 2022
Member since 01/29/2021 🔗
17 posts
I don't understand why anyone would purchase a CVR pass for basically the same price as a Timber pass?  Who is buying that pass?  Maybe if you live in or near Davis and want the variety?
nickhaas212
June 21, 2022
68 posts

The issue with the comparison is more along the lines of how they are managed. It seems like out of all public-managed resorts the New York ones are the best as they are under ORDA. Also, this is just my opinion the good thing about ORDA is that New York is a heavily taxed state, which means some of that money will be thrown at the resorts that are approved by the state government which is adopted into ORDAs budget. Most of ORDAs leadership has ski resort experience as well. 

They are adding a bunch to all of their facilities in the upcoming years.

Canaan Valley has potential but I am not sure what "change" is coming. It would be pretty nice to see new infrastructure and have someone with experience run it. This is wishful thinking, but let the Perfect's have a management contract through the state to at least run it so people don't run away.

johnfmh wrote:

RodneyBD wrote:

CVR will benefit from post-COVID conferences, weddings, and other events. I hope either Guest Services or the state of West Virginia steps in SOON to improve the ski resort. New York State is stepping up to the plate to invest in Whiteface. Cannon Mountain is petitioning New Hampshire for a tram upgrade or replacement with a gondola. In short, there’s some precedent for continued state investment in skiing. Let’s hope we see some improvements at CVR soon.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
June 22, 2022
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

nickhaas212 wrote:

Canaan Valley has potential but I am not sure what "change" is coming. It would be pretty nice to see new infrastructure and have someone with experience run it. This is wishful thinking, but let the Perfect's have a management contract through the state to at least run it so people don't run away.

Be careful what you ask for --  You can make an argument either way and the Perfects might decide that CVR should not draw visitors away from Timberline.  

Thefirewarde
June 24, 2022
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts

Their snowmaking team has experience and capital-S Seniority, or did. I assume any management changes would be higher up than that?

They've made some really "interesting" decisions with what fan guns to buy, too. The TechnoAlpin TF10s and T40s weren't set up for full automatic operation and aren't being used as well as they could be. As far as I know they don't have the central control station to do that even if they wanted to.  IMO their best move is to grab some HKD Kliks, but I expect they'll continue to buy manual TechnoAlpin gear.

September 14, 2022
259 posts
Bumping this thread - any reason to be optimistic this season?  
Rickh
September 14, 2022
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
I read they are adding snow making and increasing water up the mountain this summer. I can say I have seen the digging for the pipes straight up the mountain, not sure about the increased snow making.
teleman
September 15, 2022
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Only if it stays cold and snows 200+ inches.  

RodneyBD wrote:

Bumping this thread - any reason to be optimistic this season?  
teleman
September 15, 2022
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Maybe for the tube park.  I suspect any pipe work is to fix the leaks on Ramble.    

Rickh wrote:

I read they are adding snow making and increasing water up the mountain this summer. I can say I have seen the digging for the pipes straight up the mountain, not sure about the increased snow making.
kwillg6
October 7, 2022
2,066 posts
I had to wait until the general announcement was made concerning CVR.  As most know, CVR is run by a concessionaire, Regency, who's headquarters is in the mid west.  They run the golf course, ski area, lodge, restaurants, etc...  The bottom line is selling rooms and filling the cabins which brings in the bulk of their income.  The ski area is considered an amenity as is the golf course.  They both draw in customers for lodging, food sales, etc...   The mountain fell on hard times the last several years due to weather conditions, snow making equipment in poor condition, and the difficulty of getting mountain help for maintenance , snow making, and general management.  COVID hit them hard.  Now with that behind them and a new Mountain Manager who is a "go getter" and loves the place, things are happening.  Over the summer, all the leaks in the snowmaking system were repaired.  The lifts were serviced and inspected early.  Snow guns were repaired and readied for the season.  Their system was improved so they will use Snow max from the git-go. They are still working on improving the rental area which is much needed.  They hired a Snow Sports School Director since the one who was there left and is now working just down the road.  As a matter of fact, the mountain has readied the guns to actually blow snow, possibly this weekend, when the prediction is for temperatures is in the mid 20s.  The target date of early/mid December for opening is a real possibility.  There are other revisions and improvements in the pipeline so as soon as they are announced, I'll let you know.  THINK SNOW!
superguy
October 7, 2022
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts
Sounds like Blue Knob and Canaan are run by the same (types) of people. :D
October 10, 2022
259 posts

Here is the announcement- 

canaanresort.com

SeniorSki
October 18, 2022
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Flakes are flying at Canaan today, maybe a good sign.
superguy
October 18, 2022
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Which kind? :D

SeniorSki wrote:

Flakes are flying at Canaan today, maybe a good sign.
Thefirewarde
October 27, 2022
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts
Unless they bought new pumps, Canaan can't match Timberline's output. They shouldn't need to in order to get open, though. There's right much firepower at Canaan and they ought to be able to manage the midstation down Valley Vista as early as Timberline can open their quad, with the summit shortly after Timberline opens a top to bottom run.
Evans Dad - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2022
Member since 01/27/2021 🔗
59 posts
CV is blowing snow at the base and sledding hill, but on top nothing; nor do I think they have done so yet this season.  They must have some serious infrastructure issues.  Are they planning on pushing all the snow from the base to the top?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Evans Dad wrote:

CV is blowing snow at the base and sledding hill, but on top nothing; nor do I think they have done so yet this season.  They must have some serious infrastructure issues.  Are they planning on pushing all the snow from the base to the top?

Maybe, maybe not.  I say that because Massanutten has opted to build base first on the lower mountain greens, teaching areas, and easy blue.  No snow has been blown on DJ at the peak yet, which has been typically ready on opening day.  With all the improvements to water supply and new snowguns, that has nothing to do with snowmaking infrastructure.  Having plenty of terrain good for families with kids by the week before Christmas is pretty important from a business standpoint.  They are more likely to stay overnight and spend money at the resort.  Unlike many advanced skiers doing day trips.

teleman
December 1, 2022
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
For decades, Canaan Valley’s snow making effort has always been minimal and I don’t see that changing any time in the near future.
Rickh
December 1, 2022
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
I'm not sure about new guns, but Canaan Valley did replace a major piece of infrastructure going up the mountain this past summer. It looked like they dug up and replace then entire piping system straight up the chairlift to the top.
teleman
December 1, 2022
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
Replaced the Ramble pipes, there were multiple leaks.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.