21 - 22 Snowshoe Thread
30 posts
15 users
2k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter
29 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,481 posts
I guess it's time to start a new SS thread.  Share all your love / hate on Snowshoe here.

I see temps in the 20's every night this week.  I wonder if they will go for it and run the snow guns starting tonight?
Bonzski
29 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
553 posts

NOVEMBER 23 | Season Passholder Preview Day

NOVEMBER 24 | Opening Day


NOVEMBER 26-28 | Thanksgiving Weekend

There’s no better place to get the family together than here on the mountain. We’ll
take care of the Thanksgiving feast (and the dishes) while you get out and make the
first turns of the season together.

DECEMBER 12 | WV Ski Free Day


DECEMBER 17 | Opening Day for Silver Creek & Coca-Cola Tubing Park

Who’s ready for some night skiing at the Creek? Don’t miss out on the LED light show at
the Coca-Cola Tubing Park for a truly spectacular experience.

DECEMBER 18 |Winter Brewfest

What’s better than a beer après ski? How about your choice of more than 50 beers, live
music, AND some delicious pretzels? Yeah, we’ll see you there. Grab your tickets in
advance and save. Must be 21+ to attend.

DECEMBER 23-30 | Holiday Celebrations

If “walking in a winter wonderland” is on your holiday wish list, Snowshoe is just the place
you’ve been dreaming of. Join us for holiday crafts and take a lap with Santa & Friends
out on the slopes!

DECEMBER 31 | New Year’s Eve Celebration

Come on up and bring in the new year with good friends, good skiing, and some great
parties here on the mountain. Cheers to another trip around the sun!


JANUARY 29-30| SMITH Freestyle Freak Out
This weekend is going to be packed from start to finish with the most fun you’ve ever
had on snow. First up, the Progression Session is a laid-back event that’s all about
pushing your skills in the terrain park. The Fam Jam is a mild version of a banked slalom
where the whole family can compete as a team. Last but not least, a good old-
fashioned rail jam under the lights on Skidder where the best tricks will win.

FEBRUARY 7|Cupp Run Challenge


FEBRUARY 12 | Uphill Thang

If you haven’t heard, uphilling is all the rage right now. Splitboarding and ski touring are
making waves in the industry and we’re excited to see what all the fuss is about. We’ll
be blocking off a few trails at Silver Creek for uphill equipment demos from Burton,
Blizzard, and Volkl.

FEBRUARY 25|Snowshoe Foundation Ice Dinner

The Snowshoe Foundation’s annual winter benefit dinner features live entertainment
and an incredible food and drink selection, all in support of the amazing work the
Foundation does in our community.

FEBRUARY 26 | Berming Man Banked Slalom

If the title of “Fastest Snowboarder in West Virginia” is something you’d like to claim, this
is your race. Expect crazy costumes, steep berms, high speed, and good times all
around.

MARCH 5-6| USASA Boarder/Skier Cross Race

It’s been well over a decade since the last USASA Boarder/Skier Cross race was held
here at the Shoe, so we’re extremely stoked to make up for lost time.

MARCH 12-13| College Weekend

There may not be a Ballhooter Spring Break Festival this year but its spirit lives on at
College Weekend! Ski. Party. Sleep. Repeat.

MARCH 19-20 | Spring Send It. (Pond Skim, Cardboard Box Race, Etc.)

If you like skiing in a t-shirt and sporting a sweet goggle tan at work on Monday, then
you’re going to want to be here for the Spring Send It! Come on up and check out the
pond skim, cardbox derby, and much more! Competitors will be judged on both
costume and style, so be sure to bring both.

MARCH 27 | WV Ski Free Day

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter
28 days ago
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
202 posts
Ten day temp forecast through 11/11 not promising... if cold nights come back in the two weeks leading up to 11/25, what could realistically be open for Turkey weekend?  (assuming no rain events, etc)
Bonzski
28 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
553 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

Ten day temp forecast through 11/11 not promising... if cold nights come back in the two weeks leading up to 11/25, what could realistically be open for Turkey weekend?  (assuming no rain events, etc)

 With one week of cold they can open up 20+ trails, including Cupp.

DCSki Sponsor: Massanutten Resort
Cole53
28 days ago
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
12 posts
Looks like snowmaking just started out in the Mid Atlantic with guns running at the Skidder Slope at Snowshoe! Seen on the webcam Skidder Slope on the Snowshoe website.
Bonzski
28 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
553 posts

1635892094_onxxkzrxajln.jpg

Thefirewarde
28 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
32 posts
Hard to say from here if that's "just testing" or if they'll run full bore for stockpiling.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
28 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,575 posts

Thefirewarde wrote:

Hard to say from here if that's "just testing" or if they'll run full bore for stockpiling.

 From Joe Steven's first post of the season on SkiSE, Snowshoe was just testing the snow guns.  He's the Exec. Dir. for the WV West Ski Area Association.

rbrtlav
28 days ago
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
516 posts

marzNC wrote:

Thefirewarde wrote:

Hard to say from here if that's "just testing" or if they'll run full bore for stockpiling.

 From Joe Steven's first post of the season on SkiSE, Snowshoe was just testing the snow guns.  He's the Exec. Dir. for the WV West Ski Area Association.

 In general from what I understand snowshoe has set electric rates starting 11/1 so I think the pictures from last week were a test, but they will make snow when they can from here on out. Looks like they might get 48-60 hours or so between now and Saturday and then it warms up again. 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter
28 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,481 posts
If this is a test, I'd say they passed.  Those guns have been running for 15 hrs straight. 

It sucks that they can't figure out how to "work" all the webcams they previously streamed live.  It was nice to see several different views of the slopes instead of just skidder ......  
Thefirewarde
28 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
32 posts

The picture referenced from Joe Steven's article was taken October 14?

I've been a part of multiple full power tests that accidentally made enough snow to open the mountain. Management didn't plan to open that quickly but no showstopper issues came up. I don't expect that much snow now but Snowshoe sure looks to be doing more than just function checks.

Bonzski
27 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
553 posts

Ikon now has a 2-day Snowshoe mid-week pass for $99 & good for non-consecutive days.

Details are Here

tskski
27 days ago
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
118 posts
Just bought two. Already have the Indy Pass.
jimw
27 days ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
87 posts

Webcam is looking like a white room this morning,.

Any updates on the future of the new trail and lift?  Last I heard they had already surveyed and marked the new trail.  

nickhaas212
27 days ago
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
41 posts


 New chairlift??

jimw wrote:

Webcam is looking like a white room this morning,.

Any updates on the future of the new trail and lift?  Last I heard they had already surveyed and marked the new trail.  

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
26 days ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts

Snowshoe this morning from their FB page.

1636063185_tqcirjybbfmt.jpg

ndabunka
24 days ago (edited 24 days ago)
Member since 09/17/2017 🔗
10 posts


 Pretty certain he means the replacement for what used to be the super Sloooooooowwwww Powder Ridge lift which, I believe, was completed over the summer so that it would be far QUICKER to get back up the mountain.  There were plans for YEARS to have had a new lift added to the far right-hand side (as you look DOWN the slopes) of Soaring Eagle but that was abandoned when they discovered an endangered species of Salamander in that area.  There were also rumors that the "long promised" ski runs in Sawmill (now called Sanctuary) were going to be in place by the 2020 season but that also never materialized due to failings of that particular developer.  There is a TON of potential for additional lifts in that area as well as the possibility for slope development below the existing helicopter pad across from Soaring Eagle Lodge.  Those those of you who do not know, that was where the ORIGINAL lift for snowshoe was located and it ran down towards the golf course.

nickhaas212 wrote:


 New chairlift??

jimw wrote:

Webcam is looking like a white room this morning,.

Any updates on the future of the new trail and lift?  Last I heard they had already surveyed and marked the new trail.  

Bonzski
19 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
553 posts

ndabunka wrote:

 Pretty certain he means the replacement for what used to be the super Sloooooooowwwww Powder Ridge lift which, I believe, was completed over the summer so that it would be far QUICKER to get back up the mountain.  There were plans for YEARS to have had a new lift added to the far right-hand side (as you look DOWN the slopes) of Soaring Eagle but that was abandoned when they discovered an endangered species of Salamander in that area.  There were also rumors that the "long promised" ski runs in Sawmill (now called Sanctuary) were going to be in place by the 2020 season but that also never materialized due to failings of that particular developer.  There is a TON of potential for additional lifts in that area as well as the possibility for slope development below the existing helicopter pad across from Soaring Eagle Lodge.  Those those of you who do not know, that was where the ORIGINAL lift for snowshoe was located and it ran down towards the golf course.

nickhaas212 wrote:


 New chairlift??

jimw wrote:

Webcam is looking like a white room this morning,.

Any updates on the future of the new trail and lift?  Last I heard they had already surveyed and marked the new trail.  

Powder Ridge lift was replaced?  What makes you say this?  It's probably the least used lift on the basin side.

The Hawthorne lift that was located at the helipad was not original. It was installed in 82 and ran until 89.

jimw
19 days ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
87 posts
They were talking about moving Ballhooter LIft to Powder Monkey and replacing Ballhooter with a six pack.  New trail runs skier's right of Cupp run.  I guess all this is on hold for now.  
Bonzski
19 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
553 posts

jimw wrote:

They were talking about moving Ballhooter LIft to Powder Monkey and replacing Ballhooter with a six pack.  New trail runs skier's right of Cupp run.  I guess all this is on hold for now.  

 Yes, in recent years Powder Monkey has been targeted for replacement and there's been discussion of a new blue trail on the western side....all pre COVID.  Btw, PM and Skidder are original, circa 1974.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter
11 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,481 posts
SS made Turkey Day their official opening day.  Wed prior is open as a pass holder appreciation day.
amorFati
11 days ago
Member since 11/13/2021 🔗
3 posts

Sweet maybe I'll have to do some white ribbon of death.  Need to get in ski shape.  

jimw
11 days ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
87 posts

Looking good for Thanksgiving Day!  I'm ready to start the season.   Can we get a Snow Dance gong?  Let it snow....

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
202 posts
Trail count predictions anyone?
jimw
7 days ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
87 posts
A news article I saw stated 12 but that includes upper, mid and lower sections of the top to bottom trails. 
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter
7 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,481 posts


 Here’s the line-up for our opener this Thanksgiving Day: Gandy Dancer, Progression Park, Skidder, Heisler Way, Upper & Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, Cross-Cut, and Tail Tree. (Approximately 30 acres of skiable terrain)

RodneyBD wrote:

Trail count predictions anyone?
wgo
7 days ago (edited 7 days ago)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,376 posts

So essentially a blue and green way down, with a few mix and match options? 

Blue Don 1982 wrote:


 Here’s the line-up for our opener this Thanksgiving Day: Gandy Dancer, Progression Park, Skidder, Heisler Way, Upper & Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, Cross-Cut, and Tail Tree. (Approximately 30 acres of skiable terrain)

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter
7 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,481 posts


 Yep - not enough for me to make the 4.5 hr drive.   I've gone in the past on black friday and you get bored after an hour.  It was more about getting together with some ski friends, take a few laps and hang out for the weekend.  

wgo wrote:

So essentially a blue and green way down, with a few mix and match options? 

Blue Don 1982 wrote:


 Here’s the line-up for our opener this Thanksgiving Day: Gandy Dancer, Progression Park, Skidder, Heisler Way, Upper & Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, Cross-Cut, and Tail Tree. (Approximately 30 acres of skiable terrain)

wgo
6 days ago
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,376 posts

Fair enough. For those that do make the drive, Gandy has a little more pitch at the top than Spruce (which I think has generally been the available blue run on previous opening days?), so that's good.

 

Blue Don 1982 wrote:


 Yep - not enough for me to make the 4.5 hr drive.   I've gone in the past on black friday and you get bored after an hour.  It was more about getting together with some ski friends, take a few laps and hang out for the weekend.  

wgo wrote:

So essentially a blue and green way down, with a few mix and match options? 

Blue Don 1982 wrote:


 Here’s the line-up for our opener this Thanksgiving Day: Gandy Dancer, Progression Park, Skidder, Heisler Way, Upper & Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, Cross-Cut, and Tail Tree. (Approximately 30 acres of skiable terrain)

swoop
6 days ago
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
20 posts
Passholders opening day was beautiful.  Sunny, blue skies, still air and cold firm snow.  Cut up on Gandy and a green trail back to Bhooter from 9-3.  I'd say successful beginning to training laps needed for the Beast next week.  Cheers!
DCSki Sponsor: Massanutten Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?

Join the conversation by logging in.

Don't have an account? Create one here.

0.14 seconds