2021/2022 - Skiing the Laurels - 7S, LM, HV & BK
32 posts
14 users
3k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter
one month ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,375 posts

Start of the ski season is only a little over a month away. Some interesting news from the resorts:

Seven Springs - the replacement of the Avalanche lift with a new quad is nearly complete.

Laurel Mountain - new GM, Amanda Barnhart, recently named. Amanda is a former ski instructor and adventure sports enthusiast. Not sure what happened to the previous GM. No news of any improvements. Hopefully 7S management will pay for some new light bulbs for the slope lighting so night skiing can resume. Best wishes to Amanda. 

Hidden Valley - promoted from within, Brett Lesnick, former Snow Sports Director and Summer Adventure Manager has been appointed the new HV GM. The handle tow lift providing a connection between the North Summit slopes and front face is being replaced. HV residents have recently complained loudly about the lack of attention to maintenance of Resort facilities. Some facilities are in poor condition. Hope Brett can turn that around. Brett is a local Jarrettsville, MD boy so we hope we can get him to join us on DC SKI. Good luck Brett.

Blue Knob - no new news from the the Knob. Does anyone else have trouble with access their website?

Weather - recent NOAA forecasts indicated a La Nina winter is expected. Some meteorologist are suggesting a winter similar to last year. That would be great!

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
one month ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts

Maybe imp will chime in with some more details. Sarah Brown, former GM for Laurel, left to take a position with REI outfitters. Chris Plummer moved up in management, I don't know his title. Sarah and Chris were great from my perspective as one who organizes trail and glade restoration efforts. They also extended daily pass discounts for several annual Support Laurel Mountain weekends offered to readers of this site, SkiTalk.com, and for members of the Support Laurel Mountain State Park Ski Area Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/826787927369047/

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter
one month ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,375 posts
I understand they mowed the trail under the lift. That should make it a little more skiable with a little less natural snow. I noticed last year that adjacent to Lower WC, there are a lot of trees growing. Who is responsible for trimming those trees back?
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
one month ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts

snowsmith wrote:

I understand they mowed the trail under the lift. That should make it a little more skiable with a little less natural snow. I noticed last year that adjacent to Lower WC, there are a lot of trees growing. Who is responsible for trimming those trees back?

Only the very top of Snow Bowl (under the lift) down to the first steep "step" has been mowed. There was a discussion of the issue in our Facebook Group. Seven Springs is responsible for all of the mountain's management so they are ultimately responsible for keeping the entire lift line cleared. 

DCSki Sponsor: Seven Springs Resort
Leo
one month ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
281 posts

I don't want to be negative but I spend a fair amount of time at both HV and LM in the summer and fall and there isn't a whole lot going on.  I bike regularly at LM and sometimes will ride by the slopes, but don't know much more than what I see.

At HV, specific anecdotal things I can comment on:

The conf center would have made a nice haunted house this fall as it seems abandoned for all intents and purposes.  Along with plenty other of the resort infrastructure.

A friend had their wedding cancelled somewhat last second by wedding standards because there are no longer decent facilities at the resort.  They gave her the option of moving it to 7S but she moved it elsewhere, which I don't blame her.  I doubt she was the only wedding booked for the summer or fall that ended up taking their money and guests elsewhere.

HV was overcrowded all of last winter.  Nothing was done with lifts, or the already existing trail expansion.  So expecting a different result this year would be wishful thinking.

The township (Jefferson) tried to blame homeowner's and deem them responsible for the pathetic construction and maintenance of the drainage along steep parts of the roads within the resort.

So I can see why homeowners would have been vocal and complaining.  They should be.

camp
one month ago
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
602 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Blue Knob - no new news from the the Knob. Does anyone else have trouble with access their website?

Well, I was about to pile on and begin my annual complaining about Blue Knob as I haven't seen the daily golf/wings/music specials that they Facebook every other day. So I checked their FB and sure enough, they posted yesterday. I guess since I haven't interacted with one of their posts in a while, I don't get all their new posts. 

Checked their website too and it works a little wonky and I see some new info on the Indy Pass there.

Patf1engineer
one month ago
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
2 posts


 We have been considering getting a condo at HV for a few years, but hearing some of this makes Davis WV should a lot more appealing.  That and other things quite frankly.

Leo wrote:

I don't want to be negative but I spend a fair amount of time at both HV and LM in the summer and fall and there isn't a whole lot going on.  I bike regularly at LM and sometimes will ride by the slopes, but don't know much more than what I see.

At HV, specific anecdotal things I can comment on:

The conf center would have made a nice haunted house this fall as it seems abandoned for all intents and purposes.  Along with plenty other of the resort infrastructure.

A friend had their wedding cancelled somewhat last second by wedding standards because there are no longer decent facilities at the resort.  They gave her the option of moving it to 7S but she moved it elsewhere, which I don't blame her.  I doubt she was the only wedding booked for the summer or fall that ended up taking their money and guests elsewhere.

HV was overcrowded all of last winter.  Nothing was done with lifts, or the already existing trail expansion.  So expecting a different result this year would be wishful thinking.

The township (Jefferson) tried to blame homeowner's and deem them responsible for the pathetic construction and maintenance of the drainage along steep parts of the roads within the resort.

So I can see why homeowners would have been vocal and complaining.  They should be.

Leo
one month ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
281 posts


 There are definitely nice things about HV.  But how it's run under Nutting is not one of them.  The improvements vs Kettler's ownership were all made under Buncher and Nutting pretty much runs it the same way he does the Pirates.  Maximize revenue while minimizing expenses.  Which from an ownership standpoint works in the short term, but that's about it.  

Patf1engineer wrote:


 We have been considering getting a condo at HV for a few years, but hearing some of this makes Davis WV should a lot more appealing.  That and other things quite frankly.

Leo wrote:

I don't want to be negative but I spend a fair amount of time at both HV and LM in the summer and fall and there isn't a whole lot going on.  I bike regularly at LM and sometimes will ride by the slopes, but don't know much more than what I see.

At HV, specific anecdotal things I can comment on:

The conf center would have made a nice haunted house this fall as it seems abandoned for all intents and purposes.  Along with plenty other of the resort infrastructure.

A friend had their wedding cancelled somewhat last second by wedding standards because there are no longer decent facilities at the resort.  They gave her the option of moving it to 7S but she moved it elsewhere, which I don't blame her.  I doubt she was the only wedding booked for the summer or fall that ended up taking their money and guests elsewhere.

HV was overcrowded all of last winter.  Nothing was done with lifts, or the already existing trail expansion.  So expecting a different result this year would be wishful thinking.

The township (Jefferson) tried to blame homeowner's and deem them responsible for the pathetic construction and maintenance of the drainage along steep parts of the roads within the resort.

So I can see why homeowners would have been vocal and complaining.  They should be.

Thefirewarde
one month ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
32 posts

That's why I think asking 7S to adopt Blue Knob is dubious at best. Granted even minimal effort and/or budget would be nice, but I seriously doubt there would be a complete overhaul like Timberline WV got.

Speaking of Timberline, though, I sure wouldn't mind if the Perfects went and added a third mountain.

hockeydave
29 days ago
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
773 posts
Played golf with a longtime 7S pass holder a couple of weeks ago. He told me that he and his wife "HAD" to buy a Highlands Pass and that purchasing a 7S only season pass was not an option. Can anyone confirm?
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter
29 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,481 posts

https://www.7springs.com/tickets-passes-rentals/season-passes/ 

That appears to be the case for 7S only.  Looks like one can still buy HV or LM as stand alone passes

hockeydave wrote:

Played golf with a longtime 7S pass holder a couple of weeks ago. He told me that he and his wife "HAD" to buy a Highlands Pass and that purchasing a 7S only season pass was not an option. Can anyone confirm?
Thefirewarde
29 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
32 posts

IIf Laurel Mountain is $500/pass and the Highland pass is $675, 7S doesn't seem to be gouging folks all that hard. More likely they're trying to spreadtthe crowd across their three properties. $175 sure ain't nothing, but it's not nearly as steep as, say, Boyne passes.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter
29 days ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,375 posts

Check out the pass price comparison that Scott and I prepared:

DCSki 2021/2022 Unlimited Season Pass Comparison

imp
29 days ago
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
240 posts

season passes are very under priced everywhere! 

day tickets are very overpriced.

everyone is giving away to those who would pay higher prices for their addiction, and driving away any new casual skiers.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
12 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,575 posts

Price summary for the Laurels from the local TV news.

You’ll pay more to hit the slopes this year skiing, snowboarding

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
12 days ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter
11 days ago
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
202 posts

So for an article for skiers about ski resort improvements, the marketing director at Blue Knob made sure to convey that... the restaurant parking lot got re-paved.

Brilliant.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter
11 days ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,375 posts
Actually, Blue Knob has installed about 3/4 mile of new snow making pipelines. I think the ownership group has limited capital. The improvements will come in small doses. They are unique and I hope they stay that way. You can go to Vail and spend $175 on a weekend lift ticket if you want another type of ski product. 
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
10 days ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts

A little birdie told me that snowmaking will begin at Seven Springs and Hidden Valley tomorrow night and Tuesday night. It looks like there will be some low overnight snowmaking temperatures in the coming weeks. 

At Laurel, we had a trail and glade clearing party yesterday. The ground was frozen in the morning but softened in the 50-degree temperatures by afternoon. I don't expect snowmaking at Laurel until December, just in time to open for the Christmas holiday week. 

Thefirewarde
9 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
32 posts
Unfortunately they can't use their new pipe or the bigass new pump if they don't have guns. A dozen new low E guns would go a long way towards getting the core trails open sooner.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
9 days ago (edited 9 days ago)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts

The Seven Springs family of resorts will have their White Friday deals available this coming Friday and Cyber Monday deals available the following Monday. These are available only on those days.

https://www.7springs.com/tickets-passes-rentals/special-offers/

https://www.laurelmountainski.com/ski-ride/special-offers/?fbclid=IwAR0LiK1cIo4NvilRYK4x-a8ay8KveAV1r8Ekfj8x49S81hA7EyHpyqXDUcQ

http://www.hiddenvalleyresort.com/winter/ski-and-ride/winter-specials/



Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts

The guns are firing at Seven Springs. Video on their Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/SevenSpringsMountainResort

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,375 posts
yes, also at HV. Looks like they can get a day or two then again after turkey day.
Cole53
7 days ago
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
12 posts

1637689023_tylmccsxjovd.jpg

Cole53
7 days ago
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
12 posts
Blue knob off to a start interesting to see if their snowmaking capabilities will be better this year with the upgraded pipes
Thefirewarde
7 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
32 posts
I hear it's just fans on the beginner chair and the tube park, unfortunately.
liketoskidad
7 days ago
Member since 10/19/2007 🔗
19 posts

Seven Springs is blowing snow

1637702978_xfzgodyfsxka.jpg

superguy
7 days ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
308 posts

HV is surprisingly aggressive with snowmaking this season. They're blowing on the back side as well - at least Comet and possibly Barracuda. Imperial's also getting early love too. That's a first. They usually focused on the right side of the valley slipped slopes with the dual triples.

Their TechnoAlpin system seems to be putting it down better than 7S.

Patf1engineer
3 days ago
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
2 posts
We picked up skis at the shop today and honestly I was a little disappointed with what I saw.  There is not much on Imperial and I only saw a couple of guns operating.  Nothing on Thunderbird either, and did not see anything on Cobra either.  They are making snow on the North Summit although we did not drive over there  
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter
yesterday (edited yesterday)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,873 posts

Seven Springs announced opening day this Saturday, Dec. 4.

superguy
21 hours ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
308 posts

 A condo owner at BK I know was telling me there was another group that wanted to buy BK when it was sold.  It was supposed to include the Fiore family out of Altoona (the car dealership owners).  They had the money to do it (even had a better offer) but couldn't get the approvals done with the state so the current owners got it.  The current owners are supposed to be a group of doctors, dentists and lawyers out of Pittsburgh. Nice folks but don't know much about running a ski resort, and the management they picked doesn't know much about running it either.  Nice people said, but they're definitely not the best people for the job.  Between the management and owners, they're not running the place well to make enough money to do all the improvements that need done.

He also thought having Scott Bender come in to consult was a complete waste, focusing more on beginners and snowtubing rather than getting skiers and boarders up there that would be more profitable.

I haven't talked to him this year for his thoughts on updates. Take it with a grain of salt as it's one opinion, but he at least has some skin in the game up there.

BK mentioned that they replaced about a half mile of leaky pipe in the snowmaking system, and should provide for better snowmaking on Lower High Hopes.  Pipe really needs to be replaced on Extrovert.  Patrol told me last season that Extrovert has so many leaks that snowmaking is only about 33% efficient.  I would have put that as a higher priority over LHH as Extrovert gets butts to the mountain, and thus more money.

If I ever won the lottery, I'd buy BK and turn it into something special.  That place has so much untapped potential that's just being wasted by a lack of resources and bad management.

Otherwise, BK would need to be bought by someone else that has the money to put into it.  I think Boyne would be a great choice for that. I think they could really do something with BK.  Just looking at what they're doing with Sunday River 2030 and Sugarloaf, they could transform it into a mid-Atlantic power house.  The resort owns 1200 acres of land total, which would give them a lot of room to expand.  The state doesn't own much of it at all - only a good chunk of the summit and the clubhouse area.

Maybe Boyne needs to have the idea pitched to them. :D

Thefirewarde wrote:

That's why I think asking 7S to adopt Blue Knob is dubious at best. Granted even minimal effort and/or budget would be nice, but I seriously doubt there would be a complete overhaul like Timberline WV got.

Speaking of Timberline, though, I sure wouldn't mind if the Perfects went and added a third mountain.

superguy
21 hours ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
308 posts

Cobra and Imperial appeared to be getting love last night. Those have kinda been off and on since they started.

It's starting to pile up on the webcams.

DCSki Sponsor: Seven Springs Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.

Join the conversation by logging in.

Don't have an account? Create one here.

0.13 seconds