Thanks Scott!
8 posts
8 users
1k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 4, 2021 (edited February 4, 2021)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Thanks Scott!

Scott Smith has been posting DCSki Users of the Month this winter.  He did one about me recently and it was a nice honor, but he left out something important.  I had asked him to express how grateful I was to him for the terrific platform he's provided over the years for so many of us to share and grow our love of the sport.  I once referred to DCSki as Scott Smith's web project that won’t quit. Seriously!  

Scott has created an online community with a life of its own.  But it's a community that requires care and feeding and for 20+ years he's been The Man keeping the site alive and relevant, including numerous technical refreshes.  A lot of us can shoot the breeze forever in online forums about snowsports, but I can't imagine devoting all the time he does to maintaining the technical side of the site.  He's also a heck of a writer/journalist/photographer and works hard to provide new and useful content.  His story from May of 2020 on the Renaissance of Timberline Mountain was one of his best ever.   As you can imagine, this site is not a big revenue generator for him.  It's truly a labor of love on his part and one that all of us mid-Atlantic snowriders should be thankful for.  

I'd like to suggest we use this thread as a shout out to Scott Smith as the User of the Century:-)  Express your gratitude.  You can post a full fledged Valentine's Day card or simply let him know you appreciate the site.  If you want to cite a few things you've found most valuable/meaningful/memorable about DCSki that would be cool too.

Ski on,
Jim K.  
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2021
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Jim. I agree wholeheartedly!

The Colonel  aka MORGANB

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Scott, your latest site upgrade is great. I can now use my browser's editor and Grammarly works too. Lord knows I need all the help. Once again I have to call attention to your ad policy. The only ads we see here are those that pay you. There are no popups or targeted ads that follow you around the site generated by bots that spy on your every internet move. That just shows your commitment to this community you created. Thanks so much. DCSki is an indispensable part of my ski experience.
tskski
February 5, 2021
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Thanks Scott for all of your hard work over the years. It is much appreciated!
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Amen to what's been said above, Scott.  The expenses, upgrades, wiseacres, hassles, and challenges ... I know few who would put up with all that's required to make DCSki.com work so well.  

From the beginning, I've especially enjoyed the Lost Ski Areas section, Resort Profiles, and Forum reports on snow conditions and ticket deals.  This website has shaped my skiing after I'd been off the snow for 30 years.  It has expanded my choices, educated me about this region's rich skiing history, helped me find the best ski conditions, and even guided me in choosing my first shaped skis.  I've met up with more than a dozen denizens of DCSki on the slopes and at the ski shows.  Good-hearted folks and characters all.

Thanks to you, Scott, and to all posters and contributors who make this happen.

Thinking snow, as always.

Woody Bousquet

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Woody, et al....ditto! Scott - maybe it’s time for another $upport DCSKI  fund drive. Thank you!

bousquet19 wrote:

Amen to what's been said above, Scott.  The expenses, upgrades, wiseacres, hassles, and challenges ... I know few who would put up with all that's required to make DCSki.com work so well.  

From the beginning, I've especially enjoyed the Lost Ski Areas section, Resort Profiles, and Forum reports on snow conditions and ticket deals.  This website has shaped my skiing after I'd been off the snow for 30 years.  It has expanded my choices, educated me about this region's rich skiing history, helped me find the best ski conditions, and even guided me in choosing my first shaped skis.  I've met up with more than a dozen denizens of DCSki on the slopes and at the ski shows.  Good-hearted folks and characters all.

Thanks to you, Scott, and to all posters and contributors who make this happen.

Thinking snow, as always.

Woody Bousquet

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2021
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
Here Here.  Cheers to all that was said and more.  Thanks Scott !!!!!!!
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 15, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Thanks everyone -- I appreciate the comments.  There is a lot of work behind the scenes to make DCSki possible, but it's ultimately the community of great users that makes the site successful and a pleasure to work on.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.