Night skiing options
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
padjaski68
December 26, 2020
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts

I noticed that Vail Resorts has reduced the hours of operations at Whitetail, Liberty and Roundtop, no night skiing Monday thru Wednesday pass 6pm. I'm glad I didn't renew my Epic pass because that is my time to ski is at night. I live within 30 minutes of both Liberty and Whitetail so it was very convenient for options. 

I understand certain reductions on hours but they wipeout options for night skiing this region. Any suggestions of other options?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Not that it makes a difference because Mnut is too far to drive from DC for night skiing, but they have also cut back on how many evenings night skiing is available.  For 2020-21 can ski under the lights 5-9pm on Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, so no night skiing midweek on Tue, Wed, and Thu.  Also usually stay open until 10pm on Fri and Sat nights.

camp
December 27, 2020
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
I hope it's not another covid trend that will continue beyond covid. Resorts could easily decide to cut their less profitable time periods. Night skiing has long had it's own hardcore eastern culture of local-ish people who try to avoid the weekend crowds. Many kids have learned at night, and many parents have benefited from the reduced rates at night. It's an important body of the skiing population that should not be cast aside, especially in this era of flat/dropping skier numbers
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2020
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

camp wrote:

I hope it's not another covid trend that will continue beyond covid. Resorts could easily decide to cut their less profitable time periods. Night skiing has long had it's own hardcore eastern culture of local-ish people who try to avoid the weekend crowds. Many kids have learned at night, and many parents have benefited from the reduced rates at night. It's an important body of the skiing population that should not be cast aside, especially in this era of flat/dropping skier numbers

Amen -- my ski class on Tuesday nights at Big Boulder was how I really learned to ski. Granted, that was for my Phys Ed requirement, but that's what made me fall in love with it. Also, if you can get decent skiing Big Boulder at night, everything else seems easier.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?