Ski whitetail for less then $50 a day...
9 posts
8 users
2k+ views
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2023
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

We've all seen the posts complaining about the cost of skiing at the former snotime resorts after they were sold.  They no longer offer 4 hour flex tickets, they no longer offer advantage cards, etc... If you are willing to buy an Epic pass now, you could ski whitetail, liberty, or roundtop for less than $50 a day.  Choose "epic day pass" with the options "exclude holiday" and "22 resort.  You can purchase from 1 to 7 days.  

Yeah, you have to buy it now.  But you can buy just 1 day if you don't want to risk too much.  But the price of $48 (or less) is pretty close to what I used to pay to go night skiing at Whitetail with an advantage card.  If you know you will never go out west or Vermont there is no need to buy the more expensive options. 

I have to admit that Epic is trying to make skiing affordable. 

snowyslope92
March 15, 2023
Member since 09/24/2018 🔗
24 posts

Thanks for pointing this out.  I just bought a 7 day Epic pass for the local resorts (whitetail, liberty etc.) for just $41 dollars a day ($287).  If you exclude the holidays and limit to the 22 small resorts it is only $41 dollars a day.   That is actually a great deal since I won't be traveling to go to any of the other resorts.  I even have enough money in my budget to consider buying  a Timberline pass.

itdoesntmatter wrote:

We've all seen the posts complaining about the cost of skiing at the former snotime resorts after they were sold.  They no longer offer 4 hour flex tickets, they no longer offer advantage cards, etc... If you are willing to buy an Epic pass now, you could ski whitetail, liberty, or roundtop for less than $50 a day.  Choose "epic day pass" with the options "exclude holiday" and "22 resort.  You can purchase from 1 to 7 days.  

Yeah, you have to buy it now.  But you can buy just 1 day if you don't want to risk too much.  But the price of $48 (or less) is pretty close to what I used to pay to go night skiing at Whitetail with an advantage card.  If you know you will never go out west or Vermont there is no need to buy the more expensive options. 

I have to admit that Epic is trying to make skiing affordable. 

chuck_wow
March 17, 2023
Member since 01/14/2023 🔗
54 posts
I went to Whitetail twice and Liberty twice this season. None of those visits was worth $40.
SeniorSki
March 17, 2023
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Thoughts, would these pass companies be willing to transfer unused ski days to the following year or buy a 2 or 3 year plan use X days in 2 years, example. For the advance skier, let’s face it, white tail was a bust. Are passes, use it or lose it type program. Give a potential skier so sort of cushion for a bad season like what just happened. Not 100% certain how passes work. I haven’t skied in 15 years, looking to ski in 2023/24 as a 65 year old skier, with no time restrictions and get back into skiing. Wanted to ski this year but kept waiting for good local conditions that never happened. Wanted to try Timberline the timing just didn’t work out, 3 plus hr drive from Frederick. 
MarkRebuck
March 17, 2023
Member since 12/16/2020 🔗
33 posts

chuck_wow wrote:

I went to Whitetail twice and Liberty twice this season. None of those visits was worth $40.

i also had two visits to WT, two to Liberty. and just finished off my 6 day pass at jack frost yesterday/today.  every one of the visits was worth $40 because i love skiing.  i think i ended up at ~$1.50/run, $6.00/hr, give or take.  how could i possibly complain about that?

…but yeah, conditions absolutely sucked this year at Whitetail and Liberty.  

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2023
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I found good groomer condition all year. You've got to get there early in the day. It has been very bad for natural snow conditions, but let's face it, if it weren't for machine-made snow, we would have maybe a 30-day season spread over four months regardless of the natural snow totals. That is just plain fact for most Eastern resorts. I'm closing in on 30 days this season, and only seven have been in New England. I'll get in a few more locally. Will the entire mountain be open? No. Will conditions be ideal? They are seldom so. There are great conditions now in NE and out west. If you really love the sport, go get it. I will. My no.1 rule of skiing in the Mid-A. You've got to go when it is there to be had because it might not be there in a few days. If you can only go on certain days, i.e., weekends, that's the risk you take when buying a season pass. If you don't want to take the risk, buy the high price day tickets. The pricing policy sucks, but that's the way it is. Aim your complaints to the resorts that would rather sell you a low-price season pass and an exorbitant day pass.

It's not too late to hit Timberline. They will be open through next weekend, and a day pass costs $55. That is cheap. I skied there yesterday. I got on the lift at 9:00, quit at 2:00 with two long breaks, and still racked up 20,000 vertical feet. You could never do that in those "good old days."

Grumpy dad
March 22, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts
The lowest level day pass from Epic includes 7S, HV, LM. If for some reason you feel the need to travel to the laurel highlands to punish yourself with icy over skied corners, drunk snowboarders out of control, and 900 people trying to intersect from one trail or slope to another.
snapdragon
March 22, 2023
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
and that is what separates the recreationals from the arm chair skiers...the sun's too hot the water's too cold the waves too big and gnarly for me
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2023
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Wow, Grumpy Dad, you live up to your moniker. I've skied great groomers all season at the laurel highland resorts. Get there early.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?