Roundtop closed
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
danwxman
March 15, 2002
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
Just announced Roundtop is closed for the season.
MitchH
March 15, 2002
Member since 03/29/2004 🔗
41 posts
Does that leave Wisp as the closest open area? (heading out there tomorow; $17 lift ticket with coupon from their website).

I think Timberline in Canaan Valley is still in good shape.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 15, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
7 Springs is a tad closer than Timberline, but Timberline offers more vertical and on most days, better snow.
twin58
March 16, 2002
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
At http://www.skiwisp.com/pop-ups/StPatricks.htm, Wisp says:

>>
Buy a ticket on Saturday Mar. 16 for $17 and get Sunday Mar. 17 for ONLY $2 with this Ad!
<<

Gee, it's warm enough to sleep in the car too.

finsoutoc
March 19, 2002
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
having put in about 65 days at roundtop this past season, here's my assessment of how things went with the area:

1. Snowmaking was very good but you got the impression that the plan was to just lay down enough and not pile it on. This was really true in the halfpipe and minuteman.

2. Grooming as substandard at best, but having said that, rountop grooming usually is really poor so there was a very slight improvement. For the most part, the halfpipe was decently groomed except for the last few weeks when they let it go.

3. Overall--I'd give them a C for the whole year. Given the weather, they did a good job, but there were tons of days that they could have made snow but didnt and i think they paid for it in the end. plus they really need to work on customer service which stinks in most areas especially lifts and maintenance personel. I hope the lesson that they learn form this season is make snow whenever possible!!!

I'm planning on buying another season pass next year, but i am also expecting a rebate on this years' pass since even though i got in tons of days, i dont feel i got my value out of my pass. mainly because i dont think we got maximum effort from the mountain to provide top quality conditions.

danwxman
March 19, 2002
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
I agree Roundtop is very poor with grooming. I think they did a GREAT job with snowmaking however, and it shows. They were able to open a week longer then the other two SC PA ski areas, and they have been able to have all their trails open, whereas Whitetail and Liberty were very limited this year.
finsoutoc
March 20, 2002
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
well they did make good snow, but they really could have made a lot more on minuteman and the halfpipe when nature gave them the chance. if minuteman goes the mt is effectively done but they rarely put down a major base.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?