Skiing Sabermetrics
1 post
1 user
2k+ views
wojo
March 19, 2016
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

My season is over.  With the advent of Ski Tracker has anyone come up with a sabermetric to rank their skiing experience, the two I think of is vert per run and distant skied/ascent.  So I looked at my ski tracker (I recognize that these would be different based on the terrain you cover and your abilities, I go everywhere but bumps and chutes).  Some of the sample sizes are small:

Distance Skied/Ascent -  Whitetail 1.14; Liberty1.22; Winter Green 1.27; Alta 1.44; Brighton 1.45; Snowbird  1.55; Loveland 1.57

Vert per run -  Liberty 520, Wintergreen 701, Loveland (not open to the top) 790, Whitetail 833, Brighton 1116, Alta 1422, Bird 1668

My favorites to ski in order of the skiing of these places I have tracked are (first to last)

Brighton, Loveland, Snowbird, Alta, Liberty, Wintergreen, Whitetail - makes sense more or less.

OBTW my "home mountain is and will continue to be Whitetail (access and HS Quad and snowmaking win out for me locally).  My season summary if 13 days, 235749 vert (shudda made one more run), 252 miles.  Anyone else play around with skiing sabermetrics?  I looked at several sites and they try to incorporate "snow," the resort, the acess, etc.  I don't want any of that in the equation.  I want to know about the boots-on, "on hill," ski experience.  I could see combining the two to find out a resort that has lots of open terrain/twists/turns in the runs and is very tall, maybe throw in a coefficient or two and a exponent if I thought really hard to help differentiate the resorts more clearly.  Anyone care to run some numbers for other places??

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.