Multi-resort passes for 2020-21: Epic, Ikon, MCP, plus Indy
94 posts
23 users
10k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2020 (edited March 14, 2020)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Now that Ikon, Epic, and MCP are all available, guess it's time for a new thread.  

I'm going to post stuff about the Indy Pass here too.  It won't be available until Sept. 1, 2020 but is definitely coming back for a second season.

Scott published a good article in early March about Ikon vs Epic:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/1607

Discussion about multi-resort passes for 2019-20:  http://www.dcski.com/forum/96591

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2020
3,246 posts

News that isn't fully public yet is that Windham will be added to Ikon.  The Windham season passholders were told today.

The Epic Northeast pass options are new for those who don't want to spring for Epic Local to ski in PA, with perhaps a few days in NY/VT at Vail Resorts locations.

wgo
March 14, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Not on the same scale as the other passes but for next year wintergreen passholders get unlimited access to the sister resorts, including Wisp. Previously was limited to 6 tickets per sister resort. We enjoyed having wintergreen an hour away and Wisp for easy weekend trips this season, although we will probably we switching back to snowshoe for next season (or maybe TL depending on what they announce next week)
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2020
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Given the short and crappy season, I did not get much value from my Ikon Pass.  13 days on the slopes.  10 at Snowshoe (a few were 1/2 days) and 3 in Utah.  I was all in $819 (619 Ikon + 200 Primo) for those 13 days.  

It's those damn Snowshoe lift lines on weekends that really "forces" me to go Ikon + Primo.  That Primo came in handy for 4 - 5 days but that adds 200 to my cost.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Bonzski
March 16, 2020
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Given the short and crappy season, I did not get much value from my Ikon Pass.  13 days on the slopes.  10 at Snowshoe (a few were 1/2 days) and 3 in Utah.  I was all in $819 (619 Ikon + 200 Primo) for those 13 days.  

It's those damn Snowshoe lift lines on weekends that really "forces" me to go Ikon + Primo.  That Primo came in handy for 4 - 5 days but that adds 200 to my cost.

The crappy weather all season restricted trail options, exacerbrating the lines.  The new Powder Monkey lift should help.  And figure out the issues with Soaring Eagle.

Keith_Moon
March 16, 2020
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

Bonzski wrote:

The new Powder Monkey lift should help. 

They're replacing the lift at Powder Monkey?  If so, with what?

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I was planning on getting value from my Ikon pass beginning now. Laurel is closed and Seven Springs is now weekends only if they decide to reopen at all. My plan was to head to New England for a few weeks then finish my season in Utah. I did hit Vermont and used 4 days at Sugarbush in January. I also got 5 at Jackson Hole but the late season plan was to hit Killington, last day at Sugarbush then head further north to Sugarloaf maybe hit Loon or Sunday River. Then fly out to Utah and try to catch Deer Valley before they close then Snowbird. Now Covid-19 has shut nearly everyone down. Even if they do reopen both my wife and I are in the high risk group. Me, over 65 but more importantly, my wife has severe asthma and is also treated for an immune deficiency for IGG that protects against respiratory infection plus underlying bronchiectasis due to repeated respiratory infections. Until this virus is under control I will wait before spending money again on such a pass again. I wonder if Ikon or Epic will make adjustments to returning pass holders if they are forced to end their season now. I predict a steep drop in preseason super pass sales.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2020
3,246 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I wonder if Ikon or Epic will make adjustments to returning pass holders if they are forced to end their season now. I predict a steep drop in preseason super pass sales.

Wonder if the deadline dates for the lowest prices will just be extended?  Doubt we'll see any announcements for a while though.  Way too many unknowns right now.

Have seen somewhere that for the Epic Day Pass for 2019-20, they will be honored until something like 12/20/2020.  So trying to get people to think about an early season trip next winter.

wgo
March 16, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Good question about the early season pricing. The Snowshoe pass (non-Ikon) goes up in price after 3/19

rbrtlav
April 13, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Passes next year.... what are people planning on doing?

I was originally going to do Ikon base and some form of epic, most likely the NE or the Epic local. However given current events and the refund policies I haven't purchased anything. As of now it sounds like snowshoe and epic prices are frozen and ikon goes up 4/22. I'll probably play the waiting game a bit, but curious how others are reacting. 

Scott - DCSki Editor
April 13, 2020
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

I put a down payment on an Epic Pass.. right before the pandemic hit.  Seeing how things have played out since, I don't think I would have been in a rush to purchase the pass based on where we are today and uncertainty about the impact next winter season.  I have a feeling a whole lot of people are holding back on purchasing passes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the early-season pricing stick around until next Fall (or special offers return closer to the season).  That's not based on any inside info, just a hunch.  We're in unprecedented times.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
April 14, 2020
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

IKON Pass doubled their renewal discount ----- details

rbrtlav
April 14, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

And more importantly imo pushed the deadline to May 27

Vermont
April 14, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

I was thinking of changing to ski some local and out west ie one of the big passes ikon, epic...

but got an email from Killington they will get with pass holders in early May sometime to "address the premature closing of the season, they extended the buy early season pass discount from expiring June 11 to June 30th

Perhaps they will offer a decent discount to make the decision a little tougher 

Vermont
April 14, 2020
174 posts

Vermont wrote:

I was thinking of changing to ski some local and out west ie one of the big passes ikon, epic...

but got an email from Killington they will get with pass holders in early May sometime to "address the premature closing of the season, they extended the buy early season pass discount from expiring June 11 to June 30th

Perhaps they will offer a decent discount to make the decision a little tougher 

Also Timberline is catching my interest and the season pass price there sounds good!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 16, 2020
3,246 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

And more importantly imo pushed the deadline to May 27

Also added nurses for special discounted prices.  Same as what is offered for military and college folks.

kwillg6
April 16, 2020
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

I haven't purchased any of the big passes the last several years.  I ski in Canaan Valley and with the two areas there, and as a ski instructor keeps my cost at $0.  Took a couple of trips with the SCWDC last year to Panorama, Kicking Horse, and Valley Nevada, then a week with PSIA at Mt Snow in VT.  The costs for those trips were pretty much all inclusive and once I paid, had only beverage costs out of pocket.  I had spine surgery in January which ended my season but I had already had nearly 20 days  including the trip to Chili in Sept.  Not buying Epic or Icon or any other multi mountain pass until the CORVID19 restrictions settle out. I think the season may end my earning my turns at White Grass if the restrictions remain. 

dclivejazz
April 17, 2020
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
55 posts

I had signed up for automatic renewal of my epic local pass but got an email from them saying they were delaying charging the initial deposit, which isn’t much, and that they were still considering what they were going to do about the abruptly ended season. It had already pretty much played out locally but there would have been options for at least a few more weeks in the NE or out West. Clearly we all still have to wonder about when the resorts can safely reopen too.

rbrtlav
April 17, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Well ikon added this change today... this will probably be enough to get me to buy a pass now. 

"

Ikon Pass community, we know you are in an uncertain world right now. While we are home, together, let’s look forward to that next adventure, regardless of when it may happen.

During these rapidly changing times, we want to help. We are offering you new flexibility, regardless of when you purchase, to choose to defer the value of your 20/21 Ikon Pass to a 21/22 Ikon Pass with no fees.

We are here for you, when you are ready.

Learn more about Adventure Assurance: bit.ly/CommunityGratitude

#IkonPass #WeAreTheMTNS"

Vermont
April 18, 2020
174 posts

I will wait before committing  to a multi resort pass as it may be harder to control/open vs a single mountain/ independent 

ski area, their solution to push back to the next season still is no guarantee they will be able to get all the resorts on the same page, those passes remind me of the health clubs that oversell memberships with the stories I hear of over crowding, people traveling to Maine for only 40 trails in January just because they need to get use out of their pass, rather then go to Killington with 100 trails open etc

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 18, 2020 (edited April 18, 2020)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I'm waiting too on the Ikon and Epic.  I bought an unlimited pass at Sierra at Tahoe; $169 at my age. So I'm covered, and no real pain if the season were to be cancelled.  By 2021-22 I'll be free.  BTW I donated to the Tahoe community support fund.

Vermont
April 19, 2020
174 posts

Ikon would be relying on air travel as well to be worth while 

with Texas and Vermont being the 1st states to consider starting to reopen that shows that it's risky to invest in something that requires too many other states, ski areas even airlines to be open to fully benefit a big pass

they will probably have to lower rates quite a bit more to get people to pay now for " potential skiing "

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 19, 2020
3,246 posts

Vermont wrote:

Ikon would be relying on air travel as well to be worth while 

Not necessarily for those of us who are retired.  As JimK demonstrated long ago with his son, driving out to Colorado for a ski trip is possible.  I've already talked to a local ski buddy about the idea of driving out.  He has his own business but started slowing it down during the winters a few years ago when the family got interested in skiing.  He has experience doing all the driving out to Colorado with a daughter for spring break.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 19, 2020
3,246 posts

marzNC wrote:

Now that Ikon, Epic, and MCP are all available, guess it's time for a new thread.  

I'm going to post stuff about the Indy Pass here too.  It won't be available until Sept. 1, 2020 but is definitely coming back for a second season.

Scott published a good article in early March about Ikon vs Epic:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/1607

Discussion about multi-resort passes for 2019-20:  http://www.dcski.com/forum/96591

Got an email with a survey for the Indy Pass.  So pretty clear Doug Fish plans to have it available in the fall.  I suggested that adding Timberline would be nice.  Also mentioned Beech and Sugar in NC.  The question allowed for top three.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
rbrtlav
April 27, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Vail is doing 20%+ depending on usage as well as included insurance that includes COVID. Peak pass holders are also eligible for the 20% off. 
https://www.epicpass.com/info/2019-2020-pass-holder-credit.aspx

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
April 28, 2020
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Vail is doing 20%+ depending on usage as well as included insurance that includes COVID. Peak pass holders are also eligible for the 20% off. 

Nice moved by Vali/Epic to provide refunds on last season and free pass insurance for those who purchase an Epic Pass for 2020-21 (I did.)

=Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 28, 2020
3,246 posts

Ikon announced today that Windham in NY and Mt. Bachelor will be on Ikon for 2020-21.  The usual 7/5 days for Full/Base.

So that means for the Catskills, Windham is on Ikon while Hunter is on Epic.  No word yet on what ORDA will do for Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface.  Would be quite nice to have the ORDA mountains either on Ikon.  I have friends in New England who really enjoyed the ORDA mountains the one season they were on the MAX Pass.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 28, 2020
3,246 posts

Alta and Taos are going to wait before making any decisions about season passes.  Both have sent out emails essentially saying there won't be passes availble in the spring.  Both are on Ikon, so I would guess they will be paying close attention to how many people sign up before the May 27 deadline for the renewal discount.  Presumably people who used Ikon before are more likely to be willing to ante up before it's at all clear when/if the 2020-21 season will start.

Vermont
April 28, 2020
174 posts

It would be nice if all resorts followed Plattekill's lead and push early pass discounts to Oct.

trying to get people to  think about buying for next season while they are still seeing snow flying etc may not sit well 

Vermont
April 30, 2020
174 posts

Killington extended their early buy discounted price until mid July

they offer a 150 voucher for full season pass holders and $75 for midweek pass holders for next season purchase along with being able to get a full refund Nov 20th for those who don't use their pass

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 30, 2020
3,246 posts

Not sure exactly when it happened, but the Mountain Collective Pass is "temporarily off sale" as of late April 2020.  Usually spring sales go on until late June and then the MCP is unavailable in July.  Has been opening back for purchase by mid-August.

grymatr
May 7, 2020
Member since 05/7/2020 🔗
1 posts

I went with Indy Pass this after the IKON jacked the price point up to $649.  I had IKON from Spring 2018 & 18/19 season.  The Indy pass at $199 had several resorts that I had never skied and I figured I couldn't lose on this pass.  I have skied 121 resorts since 1980, and my goal is to ski them all.  I get tired of skiing the same resort year after year and if you hit a small to mid level resort with no crowds then that becomes a lot attractive at this point.  Lucky I hit most of the resorts on IKON & EPIC passes already.  The IKON is a good pass since I prefer SLC resorts, Mammoth, and Tahoe resorts are the closest to So Cal. Over the years I have also had the MCP in 16/17 & 17/18 before the IKON was rolled out.  Prior to that I had the Powder Alliance pass through Mt High and you get 3 days at each of partner resorts when they had Snow Basin, Cretted Butte & Schweitzer and several others. The PA pass was about $300 in the beginning & I also got unlimited skiing at the local resort at MH plus 50+ days at the partners.  I have been averaging 56 per season the last four seasons.  The Indy pass is going to be $199 again with 94 days actoss the country in 20/21.  I didn't even buy the pass until Thanksgiving weekend.  I also go to the local ski shows in San Diego & LA to pick up free passes at the resort booths.  I skied 24 different resorts this season and I like the variety. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 8, 2020
3,246 posts

According to the Magic website, the Freedom Pass alliance is history.  There were some Freedom Pass locations that were on Indy in 2019-20.  Perhaps there will be more for 2020-21.  Indy actually generates revenue for the participating ski areas.  A small percentage goes to marketing efforts but a bigger chunk is distributed based on usage.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 20, 2020
3,246 posts

Indy announced the addition of seven new locations.  The one most likely to be of interest to DCSki folks is Cannon.  The others are in the midwest, CA, and BC.

What's more important is the new pricing.  The base price for adults is still $199.  The options now include kid prices, an unrestricted option called Indy+ to cover blackout dates for the few locations that will have them, and a 25% discount for a black out date or a third day. 

Also, if someone gets a season pass for a participating ski area/resort before Indy, then the price would be $129.  Indy won't be available until Sept. 1.  Last fall the price went up a little by the end of October.

There is a graduated discount for the following season if an Indy pass holder uses it less than four days for 2020-21.

snowyslope92
May 21, 2020
Member since 09/24/2018 🔗
24 posts

Wow, I just got an email from Epic Pass saying that I earned $125 worth of created to apply to an 20/21 Epic Pass.  The credit was  earned by skiing more than 5 days at the Peak Pass resorts. Actually, their info page says I could have gotten a bigger credit I skied less than 5 days.  I had the Peak Pass last year.  I can use the credit against a pass of equal or greater value to the $629 price of last years Peak pass.  That will bring my Epic local pass down to $600.  It is still a tough decision whether to buy it with the Covid-19 situation.  They say I have untill labor day to use the credit.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 21, 2020
3,246 posts

snowyslope92 wrote:

Wow, I just got an email from Epic Pass saying that I earned $125 worth of created to apply to an 20/21 Epic Pass.  The credit was  earned by skiing more than 5 days at the Peak Pass resorts. Actually, their info page says I could have gotten a bigger credit I skied less than 5 days.  I had the Peak Pass last year.  I can use the credit against a pass of equal or greater value to the $629 price of last years Peak pass.  That will bring my Epic local pass down to $600.  It is still a tough decision whether to buy it with the Covid-19 situation.  They say I have untill labor day to use the credit.

Did you also notice that there is Epic Coverage?  Essentially pass insurance for no cost.  Covers "resort closure" between Thanksgiving and Easter (April 4, 2021) as well as personal issues such as job loss, injury or illness, and a Stay At Home order.  If insurance comes into play, get a full or pro-rated refund.

VR took their time to figure out the best approach.  Their announcement came a couple weeks after the Ikon adjustment for the pandemic realities were announced.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 21, 2020
3,246 posts

The deadline for the Ikon renewal discount prices was extended to June 15.  Was supposed to end on May 27.

The Ikon safety net is called Adventure Assurance.  As long you don't use it before Dec. 10, can decide between Sept. 10 and Dec. 10 to defer an Ikon pass to 2021-22.

MitchSH
May 21, 2020
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
56 posts

My email from Epic undercounted the number of days I skied on the Epic pass 

this year by five, probably reflecting the times I skied at Whitetail and Liberty when

no one scanned my pass for my entire session.  Doesn't 

impact my rebate however.  Because I am hoping to ski at Teluride and Kicking Horse 

next year I will probably get the full epic and supplement 

that with a Timberline Pass.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 25, 2020
3,246 posts

For people with a bias towards flying to SLC instead of Denver, Ski Utah did a comparison of Ikon, Epic, and MCP for 2020-21.  Of course a little hard since the price for the MCP is totally unknown since it was taken off the market soon by mid-April.  I can imagine it's possible the MCP won't even be offered.  That would be one less group of people to manage assuming the resorts will all have to limit numbers on a daily basis next winter.

https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/yeti/epic-pass-ikon-pass-mountain

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 3, 2020 (edited June 3, 2020)
3,246 posts

Well, I was wrong.  The MCP is back on sale at $469.  Usually stays available until late June or early July.  New locations are Sugarloaf, as well as Sun Peaks and Panorama in Canada.

Boyne Resorts has Big Sky, Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf on Ikon.  But only Big Sky and Sugarloaf on the MCP.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
June 5, 2020
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

MitchSH wrote:

My email from Epic undercounted the number of days I skied on the Epic pass 

this year by five, probably reflecting the times I skied at Whitetail and Liberty when

no one scanned my pass for my entire session.  Doesn't 

impact my rebate however.  Because I am hoping to ski at Teluride and Kicking Horse 

next year I will probably get the full epic and supplement 

that with a Timberline Pass.  

My plan also. I already purchased the all you can eat Epic. Waiting for Timberline Mountain passes to go on sale.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 8, 2020
3,246 posts

For background about the Indy Pass and where it's likely to expand, check out the May podcast from the Storm Skiing Journal.  It was interesting to learn how much each resort got per Indy visit last season.

Podcast #16: Indy Pass Founder and President Doug Fish

https://skiing.substack.com/p/podcast-16-indy-pass-founder-and

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 8, 2020 (edited June 8, 2020)
3,246 posts

marzNC wrote:

Well, I was wrong.  The MCP is back on sale at $469.  Usually stays available until late June or early July.  New locations are Sugarloaf, as well as Sun Peaks and Panorama in Canada.

Boyne Resorts has Big Sky, Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf on Ikon.  But only Big Sky and Sugarloaf on the MCP.

Got a reminder email from MCP today.  Someone who buys now has until Oct. 16 to decide if asking for a full refund is the better option for 2020-21.

I considered the MCP combined with Ikon Base, which worked out pretty well the first season that Ikon existed because I made it to three MCP locations.  Included an extended stay at Alta Lodge so the 50% MCP rate was useful.  But decided it was simpler to just get Full Ikon.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 21, 2020
3,246 posts

marzNC wrote:

The deadline for the Ikon renewal discount prices was extended to June 15.  Was supposed to end on May 27.

The Ikon safety net is called Adventure Assurance.  As long you don't use it before Dec. 10, can decide between Sept. 10 and Dec. 10 to defer an Ikon pass to 2021-22.

The time for using Adventure Assurance was extended as long as an Ikon pass isn't used.  Here's what is on the Ikon website as of July 21, 2020.

More time to defer your unused 20/21 Ikon Pass. No questions asked.*

For any reason, if you don’t use your 20/21 Ikon Pass, you will have the option to defer the purchase price paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass toward the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass using the new Zero-Day Credit - no questions asked. You can now make this decision between September 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021.

PRODUCT COVERAGE: 20/21 Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Ikon Base Plus Pass, Ikon Session Pass 4-Day

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
August 10, 2020
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Got off the phone with MCP.  This is what I learned:

1) Have until 10/16 for full refund as @marzNc noted above.

2) 3rd bonus day offer will LIKLELY be gone before Labor Day (Sept. 7).

3) They will announce some sort of refund / partial credit program before 10/16 (full refund deadline).  MCP has not determined anything concrete yet.  

4) MCP willl not add any more new destination coming season.  The list is it.

5) For anyone who had MCP last season, you should have gotten a $50 credit (applicable toward this season's purchase).  Deadline to use the credit was 8/3.  If you have not gotten anything, you might want to call MCP.

I am leaning toward MCP coming season because of GT, plus no blackout dates, it is easier to make plans.  Last year I had Ikon base and I found it too restrictive, speaking for myself only. 

Vermont
August 10, 2020
174 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Got off the phone with MCP.  This is what I learned:

1) Have until 10/16 for full refund as @marzNc noted above.

2) 3rd bonus day offer will LIKLELY be gone before Labor Day (Sept. 7).

3) They will announce some sort of refund / partial credit program before 10/16 (full refund deadline).  MCP has not determined anything concrete yet.  

4) MCP willl not add any more new destination coming season.  The list is it.

5) For anyone who had MCP last season, you should have gotten a $50 credit (applicable toward this season's purchase).  Deadline to use the credit was 8/3.  If you have not gotten anything, you might want to call MCP.

I am leaning toward MCP coming season because of GT, plus no blackout dates, it is easier to make plans.  Last year I had Ikon base and I found it too restrictive, speaking for myself only. 

Thanks Fos! What mountains are on the MCP pass?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 10, 2020
3,246 posts

Vermont wrote:

Thanks Fos! What mountains are on the MCP pass?

List is pretty long.  Easiest to see on the MCP website.  It's essentially a long webpage, so easy to navigate in comparison to Epic or Ikon.  Advantage of a simpler business model.

https://mountaincollective.com

The MCP is around $500.  Pretty season to break even as long as you can get to two locations.  Especially if buy when the pre-determined 3rd bonus day is still available.  That means 5 days for the cost of the MCP, with 50% tickets for any addition days.  When I was using the MCP, I set up trips to cover three locations.  Usually for 3-4 days at least given the effort it took to getting to destination resorts out west.  My average cost per day was $40-50 depending on the season.

The resorts I used to the MCP at over the years included Alta, Snowbird, JH, Aspen, Sugarbush, and Stowe.  Note that all the independent MCP resorts are also on Ikon, but not all the Alterra resorts are on the MCP.  There are 16 MCP locations in N. America.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 11, 2020 (edited August 11, 2020)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

I had a MCP when I took a 7000 mile skiing roadtrip in the month of March 2018.  The pass was cheap, but traveling all over North America for a month racked up a good credit card balance:-)

See here, unfortunately the photos have dropped out, which is why it's so nice when Scott Smith takes some of my trip reports or commentaries in the community forum and turns them into "official" articles.  They get saved in a more secure way.

August 11, 2020 (edited August 11, 2020)
169 posts

I met a guy on a guided moutain tour few years ago in Snowmass, he had MCP, used 3rd bonus day to JH.  He is retired, from Baltimore, drove to west coast solo for skiing, hit all MCP resorts, sleeping in his car/wagon instead of hotel.  It is doable, if you don't have time constraints.  

But places like Aspen, I'd need more than 2 days to see all 4 mtns. MCP only offers 2 days to give you a "sample", for me, it's not enough.  I'd stay additional days before I am ready to move on.  But that's me. 

@Vermont - you may consider Indy pass.  It has destinations in east, mid west to west.  2 days free each mountain.  You can do a ski safari driving from the east to west, hitting different mountains along the route.  Indy pass has some very nice, underrated resorts.  To name a few: Castle mtn, Marmot Basin in Alberta, Canada; Brundage, Tamarack, Silver Mtn in Idaho.  I wish I could be retired....  or win a lottery..  just saying. 

Vermont
August 11, 2020
174 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

I met a guy on a guided moutain tour few years ago in Snowmass, he had MCP, used 3rd bonus day to JH.  He is retired, from Baltimore, drove to west coast solo for skiing, hit all MCP resorts, sleeping in his car/wagon instead of hotel.  It is doable, if you don't have time constraints.  

But places like Aspen, I'd need more than 2 days to see all 4 mtns. MCP only offers 2 days to give you a "sample", for me, it's not enough.  I'd stay additional days before I am ready to move on.  But that's me. 

@Vermont - you may consider Indy pass.  It has destinations in east, mid west to west.  2 days free each mountain.  You can do a ski safari driving from the east to west, hitting different mountains along the route.  Indy pass has some very nice, underrated resorts.  To name a few: Castle mtn, Marmot Basin in Alberta, Canada; Brundage, Tamarack, Silver Mtn in Idaho.  I wish I could be retired....  or win a lottery..  just saying. 

Thank you Fos! yes Indy sounds good, not retired or lottery winner so I can't do too long which is making epic look good as I can get a lot of days in only a couple of areas out west and hope for some good local conditions   Ski safari sounds cool 😎 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 11, 2020
3,246 posts

Vermont wrote:

Thank you Fos! yes Indy sounds good, not retired or lottery winner so I can't do too long which is making epic look good as I can get a lot of days in only a couple of areas out west and hope for some good local conditions   Ski safari sounds cool 😎 

Ski safaris are indeed fun.  I've done solo safaris in New England when I had a reason to end up in Lake Placid or Boston.  The advantage of going alone is having the flexibility to change destinations based on weather.  One winter I kept driving longer on the way north in order to avoid a snowstorm predicted for southern VT.  Ended up skiing Pico, Sugarbush, and MRG with fresh midweek powder and no lift lines since it snowed starting late Sunday.  Didn't make motel reservations until the day before or even the afternoon I was going to arrive.

For the MCP, flying to SLC and driving from there can work out if you have a couple weeks.  One trip I did with friends based on the MCP a few years ago started with two days at Sun Valley (no on MCP anymore), a few days at Alta/Snowbird, and then a 4 days at Aspen.  It was well worth paying 50% for a few additional days given the travel logistics.  Drove back to SLC with one friend since we flew Southwest.

August 13, 2020 (edited August 13, 2020)
169 posts

Indy Pass - per Doug Fish, there will be no more add to the roaster this season.  Curret list on website is final.  (Guess Elk and T'line won't be on Indy, even though I requested.) 

Just thinking out loud:

People are discussing about Ikon effect, resorts will be crowded etc.  With covid, some places will have reduce capacity.  What is the likelihood of ski hills turning people away?  I will be very disappointed if I make an effort to travel to a place and then find out I won't be able to ski because of "xyz...."

Would I be better of going to an non-ikon destination, which means less crowd....? 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 13, 2020
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Indy Pass - per Doug Fish, there will be no more add to the roaster this season.  Curret list on website is final.  (Guess Elk and T'line won't be on Indy, even though I requested.) 

Good to know.  Although given all the uncertainties I can see some management teams being reluctant to try something new when they have so many other things to figure out.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 13, 2020
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Just thinking out loud:

People are discussing about Ikon effect, resorts will be crowded etc.  With covid, some places will have reduce capacity.  What is the likelihood of ski hills turning people away?  I will be very disappointed if I make an effort to travel to a place and then find out I won't be able to ski because of "xyz...."

Would I be better of going to an non-ikon destination, which means less crowd....? 

Based on what happened in the spring and summer in N. America, as well as during the June-August ski season in Australia, for weekends and other busy periods there will have to be capacity limits.  That applies to reservations for pass holders of all kinds, as well as limited day tickets.  But I expect travelers to be able to lock in dates well in advance.  What Perisher (Australia, owned by Vail Resorts) did was release dates in waves, more or less batches of 3 weeks.  Once there was enough snow cover to open most lifts then there were no limits for passholders mid-week.  Other than early season, which obviously was a rush in order to get things set up for late June, seems to have worked out fine.  I think it was possible to book up to 5 consecutive days to allow families planning a ski vacation to make sure they would have lift tickets for everyone.

Impossible to predict which ski areas/resorts will be less crowded.  A large destination resort with good infrastructure, lots of lifts, plenty of terrain, and the ability to find staff could well be in better shape than a smaller resort with fewer resources.  A mountain that is popular with locals could be seeing greater demand than usual.  I would guess that may be true in the mid-Atlantic and New England given that people may be less interested in flying for a ski vacation.

Some of my guesses for ski resorts are based on my experience in the last couple months in tourist destinations.  Starting in July, there were plenty of people driving for long weekends or summer vacation trips.  Have read complaints of crowded trails in more than one mountain region.

I've been making use of an Annual Pass to Biltmore Estate and Gardens in Asheville, NC over the summer.  (Daughter is in college there and has a boyfriend working in Asheville so we went a few times after the spring semester ended in early May.)  I mostly go for hiking but have walked around the gardens and other outdoor exhibit areas a bit.  As of last week, Biltmore is well ahead of what they expected in terms of guest numbers.  They re-opened most activities by August 1.  The mansion has been open with limited capacity since they re-opened in late May.  The license plates I saw in the overnight parking for the resort lodging were from NC and neighboring states, but also from FL and states farther west and north.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 1, 2020
3,246 posts

Anyone still considering the MCP?  The $469 price will probably be gone after Labor Day.  The bonus 3rd day at one pre-selected location is still available due to the pandemic.

I know people who thought the MCP would be good for a trip to SLC that also included a few days at JH and GT.  GT is a new location for the MCP.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 1, 2020
3,246 posts

The Indy Pass is on sale!  As noted earlier, there are 11 new locations.  Including Winterplace and and Cannon.

Assuming my trip to JH works out, I'm hoping to check out Snow King using Indy.  Apparently good for a night session or a day session.  So can certainly take a look under the lights one evening.

nakedskier
September 2, 2020
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

I got the MCP.  It looks like my family will be reserving a house at Sugarloaf for the holidays so I got my third day there...

marzNC wrote:

Anyone still considering the MCP?  The $469 price will probably be gone after Labor Day.  The bonus 3rd day at one pre-selected location is still available due to the pandemic.

I know people who thought the MCP would be good for a trip to SLC that also included a few days at JH and GT.  GT is a new location for the MCP.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 2, 2020
3,246 posts

nakedskier wrote:

I got the MCP.  It looks like my family will be reserving a house at Sugarloaf for the holidays so I got my third day there...

Be interested to know if/when you get any communication related to making a reservation for lift tickets based on using the MCP at Sugarloaf.

Boyne Resorts changed their approach to season passes quite a bit due to COVID-19.  Stopped selling them during the summer.  Anyone who didn't buy the New England pass before June 15 isn't going to get one.  That includes Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf.  Boyne is only offering a Maine pass for SR and Sugarloaf this fall, and may only sell it until mid-Oct.  I think the Maine pass costs more than the NE pass did in the spring.  But the demand is there from people who live in the Boston area.  I assume Boyne will give priority to season passholders for whatever reservation/ticket system they use to satisfy capacity limits.

nakedskier
September 3, 2020
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

Yeah, I'm curious too.  I'll definitely keep DCSki abreast of what it will take for me to ski at Sugarloaf this winter.  The family is just at the reserving the house stage right now.  

marzNC wrote:

nakedskier wrote:

Be interested to know if/when you get any communication related to making a reservation for lift tickets based on using the MCP at Sugarloaf.

Boyne Resorts changed their approach to season passes quite a bit due to COVID-19.  Stopped selling them during the summer.  Anyone who didn't buy the New England pass before June 15 isn't going to get one.  That includes Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf.  Boyne is only offering a Maine pass for SR and Sugarloaf this fall, and may only sell it until mid-Oct.  I think the Maine pass costs more than the NE pass did in the spring.  But the demand is there from people who live in the Boston area.  I assume Boyne will give priority to season passholders for whatever reservation/ticket system they use to satisfy capacity limits.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 8, 2020
3,246 posts

The $469 price for the MCP is gone.  Now $489 for adults and $149 for children.  Probably will last until late October but very hard to predict in 2020.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 8, 2020
3,246 posts

Prices go up for Ikon on Oct. 14.  The option to defer is good until mid-April 2021, assuming a pass hasn't been used at all.

While not all the details are available yet, the Ikon Reservations webpage is pretty complete.  In general, Ikon Partners will require lift access reservations.  Alterra resorts are saying no reservations, but that could change.  Powdr resorts are using parking reservations.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/reservations

"Ikon Pass holders will be able to start making reservations on ikonpass.com or through the Ikon Pass app on November 9."

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 11, 2020 (edited October 11, 2020)
3,246 posts

In case you missed it, DCSki has a long interview with the man in charge of the Mid-Atlantic for Vail Resorts.  Gives some insight into why Vail Resorts is successful when they integrated acquisitions, at least after a year or two when the advantages of an Epic pass become more obvious.

DCSki Interview Series: Jeff Lifgren, Vice President and General Manager of the Vail Mid-Atlantic Region and Liberty Mountain Resort

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 14, 2020
3,246 posts

Prices go up for Ikon on Oct. 15.  Can defer up thru April 11, 2021 if not used at all.  There is the same discounted price for college, military, and nurses.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 15, 2020
3,246 posts

The price increases for Ikon are in line with what Epic and the MCP did in the early years.  The pricing has gone up $100, $50 each year, so on the order of 10% in two years.  However, the renewal discount was increased in the spring after the pandemic hit.

2020-21: Full $999 -> $1049 -> $1149, Base $699 -> $799 -> $849; $100 or $200 renewal discount

2019-20: Full $949 -> $1049 -> $1099, Base $649 -> $749 -> $799; $30 renewal discount

2018-19: Full $899 -> $999 -> $1049, Base $599 -> $699 -> $749

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 16, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I copied this post by snowsmith from the Skiing the Laurels thread. 

Perhaps most don’t know your 7S, HV or LM season pass and the combined Highland Pass include a resort swap and ski lift ticket discounts at the ”˜Mountains of Distinction’:

- if you have a HV, LM or 7S pass, you get a free day(Sunday -Friday) at all three resorts and also a free day at Wisp Resort and Wintergreen. After using your free day you get 50% off for each visit there after. Of  course if you have a Highland pass you can ski at all three  -HV, LM & 7S anytime.

- the ”˜Mountains of Distinction’ include: Massachusetts: Jiminy Peak, Wachusetts;  NH: Cranmore;  NY: Bristol Mtn, Holiday Valley, Ski Windam;  Vt: Bromley. For all of these resorts, you get $15 off lift tickets on Sat., Sun., and Holidays. Mid-week you get 50% off lift tickets.

- Ski Cooper, CO: you can get 3 free lift tickets for this ski resort, any day, no black out dates.

Ski Cooper is not far from Breckinridge and historic Leadville. If we’re able to make it to CO this year, it may be worth spending a day or 2 skiing at Cooper.

Bristol Mtn NY has a 1,200 foot vertical and is about 2 hours from Holiday Valley. It’s also in Finger Lakes wine country.

Has anyone from DCski ever skied Bristol Mtn?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 16, 2020 (edited October 16, 2020)
3,246 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I copied this post by snowsmith from the Skiing the Laurels thread. 

Perhaps most don’t know your 7S, HV or LM season pass and the combined Highland Pass include a resort swap and ski lift ticket discounts at the ”˜Mountains of Distinction’:

- if you have a HV, LM or 7S pass, you get a free day(Sunday -Friday) at all three resorts and also a free day at Wisp Resort and Wintergreen. After using your free day you get 50% off for each visit there after. Of  course if you have a Highland pass you can ski at all three  -HV, LM & 7S anytime.

- the ”˜Mountains of Distinction’ include: Massachusetts: Jiminy Peak, Wachusetts;  NH: Cranmore;  NY: Bristol Mtn, Holiday Valley, Ski Windam;  Vt: Bromley. For all of these resorts, you get $15 off lift tickets on Sat., Sun., and Holidays. Mid-week you get 50% off lift tickets.

- Ski Cooper, CO: you can get 3 free lift tickets for this ski resort, any day, no black out dates.

Ski Cooper is not far from Breckinridge and historic Leadville. If we’re able to make it to CO this year, it may be worth spending a day or 2 skiing at Cooper.

Bristol Mtn NY has a 1,200 foot vertical and is about 2 hours from Holiday Valley. It’s also in Finger Lakes wine country.

Has anyone from DCski ever skied Bristol Mtn?

Good idea!

If anyone can figure out how to get to western MA this winter for Mountains of Distinction and also gets Indy, Berkshire East and Jiminy Peak are relatively close together.  Can stay in Pittsfield within early day trip distance.  Berkshire East is old school with varied terrain and fixed grip lifts that are on the slow side.  Jiminy Peak has very good snowmaking, grooming, and a high-speed detachable 6-pack that means a lot of skiing if going midweek.  JP has a few trails that are never groomed, so there are bumps to be found once there is enough snow.

MA and NY have had travel restrictions for a while.  Don't see that changing any time soon.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 20, 2020
3,246 posts

The Ikon website include two passes for Snowshoe only.  Snowshoe has an Early Season pass for $129 good until 12/25/2020.  The Snowshoe Unlimited is $459.  Scroll down to see the Snowshoe only options.  Also available on the Snowshoe website.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/local-passes/snowshoe-mountain

skiracerx
October 22, 2020
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

whatever pass you have you need to check travel restrictions by state - If EPIC  and live in MD  I cannot by covid law ski in New York or Vermont this season based on maps today. a multi pass sounds good but all need to looks at each state restrictions.  BE aware :o) 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 22, 2020
3,246 posts

skiracerx wrote:

whatever pass you have you need to check travel restrictions by state - If EPIC  and live in MD  I cannot by covid law ski in New York or Vermont this season based on maps today. a multi pass sounds good but all need to looks at each state restrictions.  BE aware :o) 

Well, you can go ski in NY or New England after you self-quarantine for 14 days. ;-)

VT and NH have the most restrictive rules at the moment.  I know NY residents who are thinking of driving across to go skiing in Maine.  Spending less than 24 hours in NY is allowed.  Supposed to fill out a Travel Form online if going to NY regardless of what form of transportation.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 22, 2020 (edited October 24, 2020)
3,246 posts

For info about skiing in Vermont, there is a good summary that was put together by Ski Vermont.  It would help other organizations that promote skiing in a given state will be doing the same.

https://skivermont.com/trip-planning-and-covid-19

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2020
3,246 posts

The MCP price goes up again after Oct. 26.  Currently at $489.  Typically goes up $20 but hard to say if that will hold in 2020.

There are a few resorts that are requiring Ikon reservations but not for MCP holders.  So there still are reasons to consider the MCP over Ikon Base.  However, no refund or rollover option with the MCP.

October 26, 2020 (edited October 26, 2020)
169 posts

marzNC wrote:

The MCP price goes up again after Oct. 26.  Currently at $489.  Typically goes up $20 but hard to say if that will hold in 2020.

There are a few resorts that are requiring Ikon reservations but not for MCP holders.  So there still are reasons to consider the MCP over Ikon Base.  However, no refund or rollover option with the MCP.

For those who are considering MCP, received from MCP email today (10/26/2020):

Last Chance at $489 – Price Goes Up $100 Tonight  -> i.e.10/26 midnight 

And if you feel iffy about traveling in these turbulent times, don’t. We have extended the “No Questions Asked” guarantee - you can receive a full refund on your pass purchase any time prior to November 16th, 2020. 

(highlighted text are from MCP email) 

MCP does offer full refund.  I bought MCP this season as I think it is a better option than Ikon.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2020
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Last Chance at $489 – Price Goes Up $100 Tonight  -> i.e.10/26 midnight 

And if you feel iffy about traveling in these turbulent times, don’t. We have extended the “No Questions Asked” guarantee - you can receive a full refund on your pass purchase any time prior to November 16th, 2020. 

(highlighted text are from MCP email) 

MCP does offer full refund.  I bought MCP this season as I think it is a better option than Ikon.  

Well, a refund only if you decide by Nov. 16 is not quite the same as being able to decide much later in the season to rollover to the 2021-22 season.

I agree that it's easy to get a decent deal with the MCP than Ikon or Epic given the lower cost.  Breakeven only requires getting to two MCP locations.

October 26, 2020
169 posts

marzNC wrote:

Well, a refund only if you decide by Nov. 16 is not quite the same as being able to decide much later in the season to rollover to the 2021-22 season.

Don't know yet.  I asked this question to MCP before I decided to make the purchase in August.

MCP supposed to come up with something if one does not get to use this season, they supposed to announce it on Oct 16, which was their original date for full refund.  Now they changed refund deadline to Nov 16, I anticipate they shall have something in place and announce before Nov 16.  So whoever has bought the pass, they can decide to get full refund or not........  

Past season, MCP offered $50 credit to pass holders and can be applied to this season's purchase. 

Above is the info I got from MCP. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 30, 2020 (edited October 30, 2020)
3,246 posts

The start dates for the Epic and Ikon reservation systems are coming up soon.  Nov. 6 for Epic and Nov. 9 for Ikon.  Ikon reservations are only needed for some of the Partners.  The Powdr resorts on Ikon will have a parking reservation system, which also starts up on Nov. 9.

The general info related to parking is already available for Killington/Pico and Snowbird.  Seems to be using the VR model of having 7 Advanced days, plus unlimited "week of" parking reservations.  Cancellations are allowed and can be done online pretty much up until the arrival day.  But if someone is clearly trying to game the system, they might find themselves out of luck for the season.  There is a long Terms and Conditions document just for parking.

"Any holder who makes more than one Parking Reservation per day for an individual holder or guest, or who otherwise violates the terms of service applicable to the Parking Reservation System, will be subject to penalties in the Resort’s discretion including, but not limited to, revocation, cancellation or withdrawal of the Product, cancellation of any existing Parking Reservations, physical removal of the vehicle, elimination of the right to make additional Parking Reservations, imposition of additional fees, or loss of right to purchase additional Products or otherwise access the Resort."

November 1, 2020
169 posts

Is there a deadline for Epic pass at the current price?  searched Epic pass website but can't find anything relevant. 

Asking because MCP, Ikon and IndyPass have deadlines and prices go up after certain date  I am contemplating a 2nd pass: Epic Local and need to know when I have to make a decision.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2020
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Is there a deadline for Epic pass at the current price?  searched Epic pass website but can't find anything relevant. 

Asking because MCP, Ikon and IndyPass have deadlines and prices go up after certain date  I am contemplating a 2nd pass: Epic Local and need to know when I have to make a decision.  

Don't think there will be another price increase.  In the past Epic pass sales ended completely in late Nov or early Dec.  In 2019, the deadline was extended for a week.  Hard to say what will happen in 2020.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2020 (edited November 1, 2020)
3,246 posts

Found where to see the Week Of start dates for Epic reservations.  They are under Resort Opening Dates.  Looks like the "ski week" will be Fri to Fri with the reservation window opening up on Wed.  For instance for the first few days that Keystone is open, can do a Week Of reservation starting on Wed, Nov. 4, for Nov. 6-13.  Breck opens on Nov. 13.  The Week Of window starts on Wed, Nov. 11.  The next Week Of window starts on Wed, Nov. 18. I see a pattern here. :-)

Only the Rockies is ready to go.  Still just TBD for the Mid-Atlantic and northeast as of Nov. 1.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/winter-experience.aspx

1604249112_ydvzqrukoluj.jpg

November 1, 2020 (edited November 1, 2020)
1,986 posts
In doing some research on Vail owned resorts this weekend for a possible December trip, I learned that if you book your lodging through a Vail owned resort reservation system, you can cancel with no penalty up until 2 days before check in. Also, Epic pass holders get a sizable 20% discount. Admittedly, these are not the cheapest properties but I found 1BR condos in Avon walking distance to the Westin lift for $228 per night (price includes the Epic Pass discount). I ruled out VT because of restrictions and associated hassles.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 3, 2020
3,246 posts

Here are opening dates in November in the northeast for Epic and Ikon that were announced back in September. Several are later than a week or so in order to have more terrain open on Opening Day.

This fall many colleges will finish the fall semester before Thanksgiving and no re-open until early January. Early snowfall could mean more people than usual thinking about skiing in early December, although probably still well under most capacity limits.

Week Of reservations start on Nov. 11 for Mount Snow.  Still TBD for Wildcat.  No day tickets at all for Epic locations before Dec. 8.

No reservations required for Ikon.  May be very few day tickets sold for Thanksgiving weekend.

EPIC, VAIL RESORTS
Wildcat, NH: November 13
Mount Snow, VT: November 14
Stowe, VT: November 20
Hunter, NY: November 20
Okemo, VT: November 21
Mount Sunapee, NH: November 25

IKON, ALTERRA AND PARTNERS*
Nov 14: Killington*, VT
Nov 21: Sugarbush, VT
Nov 25: Stratton, VT
Nov 25: Snowshoe, WV

Vermont
November 3, 2020 (edited November 3, 2020)
174 posts

johnfmh wrote:

In doing some research on Vail owned resorts this weekend for a possible December trip, I learned that if you book your lodging through a Vail owned resort reservation system, you can cancel with no penalty up until 2 days before check in. Also, Epic pass holders get a sizable 20% discount. Admittedly, these are not the cheapest properties but I found 1BR condos in Avon walking distance to the Westin lift for $228 per night (price includes the Epic Pass discount). I ruled out VT because of restrictions and associated hassles.

I would think the risk of flying during a pandemic would be worse, it’s a fluid situation but trying to spread too thin going with an Epic might be risky as well, having a private condo walking distance to Killington theirs never a worry if skiing is an option nor a need for any reservation , quite hassle free, Bolton stopped selling their unlimited season pass

private transportation looks to be the way to know you will be skiing, no matter what days you want  

November 4, 2020 (edited November 4, 2020)
1,986 posts

Vermont wrote:

johnfmh wrote:

I would think the risk of flying during a pandemic would be worse, it’s a fluid situation but trying to spread too thin going with an Epic might be risky as well, having a private condo walking distance to Killington theirs never a worry if skiing is an option nor a need for any reservation , quite hassle free, Bolton stopped selling their unlimited season pass

private transportation looks to be the way to know you will be skiing, no matter what days you want  

Flying concerns me less than having to eat in restaurants. As long as I can self cater in a condo for all meals, I am ok with going West. Flying has been shown to be relatively low risk—not no risk, but lower risk than many activities. Better weather and snow conditions in the West are the main selling points. I have rarely skied in New England in December and not experienced bone chilling temps and icy conditions. I am ok with that, having been raised there, but definitely prefer UT or CO. Should also mention that you get better ROI on an Epic Pass out West, where lift tickets are generally more expensive than the East (with the possible exception of Stowe).

Bonzski
November 24, 2020
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
PSA Last day for purchasing the Ikon pass is Dec 10th.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 25, 2020
3,246 posts

Bonzski wrote:

PSA Last day for purchasing the Ikon pass is Dec 10th.

That's about the same time as last year.

Reminder that an unused Ikon pass can be deferred to 2021-22 until mid-April 2021.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 25, 2020
3,246 posts

In 2019, Epic pass sales were supposed to end Nov. 24 but were extended by a week to Dec. 2.

Has there been an announcement of the last day to buy Epic?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 26, 2020
3,246 posts
Took a look at a few Ikon Partners to see what days are already booked for Ikon reservations or parking reservations as of Nov. 26.

For Snowbird, the parking reservations are currently full for all weekends thru January. Most likely more spots will open up later on as more terrain becomes available.

Copper in CO doesn't have parking reservations left for weekends in early Dec. But does have spots Dec. 21 thru Jan. 2. Perhaps those dates were only opened up recently? Two Saturdays in Jan are gone, Jan. 9 and 18. Copper opens on Nov. 30.

Mt. Bachelor parking is gone from Dec. 18 thru Jan. 2. Also booked up the weekend of Dec. 12-13. Possible that only a limited number of spots were released initially. Obviously better to add more spots later than to have too many people show up if can't get enough terrain open for whatever reason. Windholds and low visibility holds are common for the Summit lift, which is the primary access to the entire backside of the single huge volcanic mountain.

Jackson Hole is booked up Dec. 28 thru Jan. 1. JH-only passholders do not need to make reservations.

Boyne Resorts has their own season passes for their resorts, as well as Ikon access. They cut off season pass sales far earlier than usual and are promising those folks that reservations won't be required this season. Ikon holders who need to make reservations for holiday periods or weekends out west needed to start early. Seems as if Boyne is prioritizing local passholders or people willing to pay for a day ticket over travelers with Ikon for a few locations.

Big Sky has quite a few holiday period days unavailable for Ikon reservations already. Includes Dec. 20-24, Dec. 26-31, Jan. 1-2, Jan. 18 (MLK Day holiday Monday), Feb. 13-20 (U.S. Presidents Day holiday week). I know of people who renewed Ikon for 2020-21 who were thinking Big Sky would be a good place for a ski vacation that is typically consider less busy since it's not close to a major international airport such as SLC or Denver. Day tickets are only sold out for Dec. 28-31.

Brighton in SLC is also a Boyne location. It's mostly a ski area for locals and there are Brighton-only pass options. Ikon reservations are gone for Dec. 24-31, Jan. 1-2, Jan. 8-10, and Saturdays thru January. Day tickets are available for all of those dates. Day tickets have only been released thru Jan. 10. Brighton is having a sale this week on a 2-day Go Card, good for any 7-hour period (Brighton has night skiing). The deal is US$159 for any 2 days, no reservations required.

Boyne isn't requiring Ikon reservations for Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Maine at this point. All dates are available for Loon in NH. Boyne cut off sales of the New England pass very early. Also limited the sales of the Maine pass that was available for 2020-21.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 27, 2020
3,246 posts

According to an article in the Vail Daily about the Beaver Creek opening, Epic pass sales end on Dec. 6.

The slopes are open at both Vail and Beaver Creek with new reservation systems in place for lift access and on-mountain dining

Ryanga
December 3, 2020 (edited December 3, 2020)
Member since 04/29/2020 🔗
6 posts
Someone needs to let them know that their universal website design and snow report isn’t going to work for places in Pa, as compared to those where it actually snows.  We need to know which slopes have had recent snow making, not just if they’re groomed.  I know it’s early, but I’m suspicious the “snow report” for liberty and whitetail are going to be useless 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 4, 2020
3,246 posts

Sounds like the MCP will be off sale after Sun, Dec. 6.  Got an email that said this would be the last weekend.  The status bar is pretty far down in NEARLY SOLD OUT.  Price is $589.

Haven't come across a resort that is requiring any sort of reservation for MCP holders.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2020
3,246 posts

Last day for the MCP is Dec. 7 according to the email I got today.

Today is also the last day that Epic holders can book Priority Day reservations before day tickets are made available to the general public.

December 24, 2020
169 posts

I got MCP this year and used in 4 resorts for an early season trip.  This is what I found out for MCP pass holders this COVID year:

1) Jackson Hole - can't link credit card to MCP pass.  Must pre-purchase tickets and specify date(s) after free 2 (or 3) day usage.  They are non-refundable, with a caveat:

e.g. If I pre-purchase JH tickets with selected dates Dec. 30 and 31, ticket price is higher as it is peak week.  Later I change my date(s) to Jan 30 and 31 (non peak dates), ticket price is lower.  You can ask JH to refund you the difference in price.  

2) Alta - no linking to credit card.  No need to 1) pre-purchase ticket or; 2) make advance reservation.  Per Alta staff: "we are free for all".   (To my understanding, Little Cottonwood canyons has parking reservations in place.  I supposed they are limiting capacity through that venue for day guests. If you are staying at slope side lodges, you are exempted.)

ZARDOG
December 25, 2020
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

One of my group has an indy pass for him and 2 others- Canaan, Winterplace, Bryce last week all open but trail count normal for the early base season. 

Plans to hit midwest / upper midwest and NC this season. usually a mid week. depending on covid travel restrictions.  Semi-retired they have a flexible schedule. Easy bubble. 

Some resorts on the indy pass need lift upgrades in the next few years.  All had lodges updated Canaan, Winterplace, Bryce.  

*** Note new EPIC cancel reservation abuse policy. we all want to be safe but some may not show (for not a real reason) and that limits the rest of our use. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 25, 2020
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Little Cottonwood canyons has parking reservations in place.  I supposed they are limiting capacity through that venue for day guests. If you are staying at slope side lodges, you are exempted.)

To be clear about parking in LCC, only Snowbird is requiring parking reservations.  Cars are being checked at all Snowbird entrances.  Parking reservations are being required for all Powdr resorts, which are all on Ikon.  People who ride up either canyon on a UTA bus are not limited for lift access if they have some sort of season pass, including Ikon.  Day ticket sales are limited.  Can't get the usual discounted day tickets in SLC ski shops or other outlets.

Alta is continuing to base parking availability on first-come, first-served.  But there is far more communication about parking status at the base of the canyon and on social media.  Alta Alerts is one of the Twitter accounts that is mainly used for parking status.  The few powder days in Dec, parking was full by 9:45 or 10:00.  Some spaces opened up by 1:30, once as early as 12:15.  My Albuquerque ski buddy got one of the last Wildcat spots at 8:30 earlier this week, on a powder day.

My impression is that UDOT is also monitoring parking status for Solitude and Brighton in BCC in a similar manner.  Solitude parking is all pay parking.  Brighton parking is free and probably first-come, first-served.  There were plenty of cars turning up BCC as I drove towards the airport last Saturday morning around 8:15.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 26, 2020
3,246 posts

If people are interested, I can post some observations from my recent trip using Ikon to ski at Jackson Hole and Alta.  Normally don't bother to fly west in Dec, but it ended up working out well to travel with a few friends.  Been back for a while.  Two of the friends did COVID-19 tests after returning home and tested negative as expected.  Another friend is a ski buddy who is a family physician.  Based on all the reading I've done and discussion with friends with science and medical backgrounds since February, we were all comfortable with flying and sharing lodging with people who we have done ski trips with before.

I'm heading to Colorado in February to use Ikon again.  Plus check out a few independent ski areas.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?