Mt. Rose opening day, October 25
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2019
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

The quest to ski every month for 12 consecutive months continues.  October is in the books; only November, December, January remain.  The Mt. Rose base is at 8260 ft., highest in the Tahoe area.  One short lift and a couple of green runs were open.  $20 lift tickets.  It was my first ever day there and I like it's vibe very much.  It's Reno's backyard ski area and doesn't draw heavily from CA.  There were lots of of parents with tiny kids and grandparents with tiny kids and a distinct lack of corporate feel.  Cubbies and coat hooks in the lodge; all non corporate ski areas have them.  Lest you think it is all green and blue, the chutes are staring at you as you sit on the deck with an apres libation.  I'll be back.

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2019
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Well done!  Wher did you ski July, Aug and Sept?

Mt Rose is very high on my list if I finally make it to Tahoe region

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Mt. Rose is a very fun ski area.  Especially with the addition of the second base.  A much quieter place to have lunch, with a great view.  Total skiable acreage is 1200 acres.  Once the base is set, holds snow well because it's relatively high.  The base is around 8200 ft.

If flying back east on a red-eye flight, easy to get in a full day of skiing at Mt. Rose since it's only 45 min from the airport.  And very rarely any issue driving in terms of snow.  Storms come over from the west, so it's easy to know when it's time to head out to beat one.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Denis wrote:

Lest you think it is all green and blue, the chutes are staring at you as you sit on the deck with an apres libation.  I'll be back.

The view of the chutes that really gives an idea of how steep they are is looking down from the chairlift that runs right up the ridge.  In 2010 I wasn't skiing off-piste much yet.  Was pretty impressed.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2019 (edited October 26, 2019)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

kemperski wrote:

Well done!  Wher did you ski July, Aug and Sept?

Mt Rose is very high on my list if I finally make it to Tahoe region

July 4 lift served at Squaw Valley, August lifts at Mt. Hood, OR, September near Carson pass off CA Hwy 88, 100 ft. 1inch of new snow over grass and rocks, altitude 8600 ft.  Colorado had some snow at the time, but for various reasons I didn't go.  Guess I'm a west coast guy now.  If you do get here, give me a shout.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.