Any thoughts on these skis?
32 posts
11 users
4k+ views
Keith_Moon
March 19, 2019 (edited March 19, 2019)
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

I've only used rentals and am looking to buy my first pair of skis .  I'm 6'2", 190, can ski blacks in good conditions but am mostly on blues.  I'm mainly on groomers and don't care about glades, moguls or terrain parks.  Sure, I'll go into off-piste powder when available but it's just not available much around where I ski.  If I go out West I'm content to rent wider powder skis.   My style has been more cautious but I'm looking to ski more aggressively and develop better technique.  I'd like to think I can carve OK on blues but my form breaks down on blacks and certainly on ice.  I have my own boots.  I should mention that I have done most of my skiing at Beech, Sugar, Winterplace and Wintergreen but bought the Ridiculus Pass and am looking to instead go to Snowshoe more next season.  This year we also did Gore in NY and go up to eastern Ontario every other year to see relatives for Christmas so maybe it will be an Ikon Pass and Tremblant in the season after next.  These skis look like a really good deal and well-suited to my skill level and the conditions we often face in this part of the Ice Coast.  Any thoughts on them?

https://www.levelninesports.com/fischer-xtr-pro-mt-80-skis-w-mbs-10-ski-bindings-2019-1

Thanks,

km

crgildart
March 19, 2019
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

They'd be good right now, but you're going to be at the upper limit if the binding DIN when you progress past advanced to expert abilities.  I'd ski them but I'm 15 pounds lighter than you.  That said, if you're over 50 the DIN drops and they'd be good for you at any ability level.  The ski itsef looks great for our terrain options.

Keith_Moon
March 19, 2019
204 posts

I'm 51.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Can't help on the skis, but did notice that getting DSP Phantom applied only costs $50 extra, on top of $100 for the Phantom.  Note that you could do the treatment at home once it warms up a bit more.

I like Phantom.  I treated my carvers that I use in the mid-Atlantic and northeast in Jan 2018.  Haven't had to wax since then.  Have at least 25 days on those skis in assorted snow conditions, including a few days on very soft and sticky snow last May out west.  Did a direct comparison at Bachelor and Mammoth between the Phantom-treated skis and another pair that were all-mountain waxed with warm weather wax.  Ended up using the carvers more because of the glide on sticky snow even though the all-mountain skis were a more appropriate width/design for pushed around soft snow off-piste.  Phantom-treated skis slow down on sticky snow but don't lurch to a halt in a way that makes me very nervous.  Have since treated those all-mountain skis as well.

I know how to wax skis and have the basic items needed to do it at home.  But I'm also happier not having to deal with waxing every 2-3 ski days on man-made snow.  Especially since most of my ski days are not day trips.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
crgildart
March 19, 2019
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

I'm 51.

Sweet!  Those would be great based on what I see.  Maybe someone else can chime in who's tried them, but they check off all the boxes I'd have for crusing groomers around here with occasionally finding some knee deep stuff.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2019
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

New skis and bindings for $340 .... good deal!

Shotmaker
March 19, 2019
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

Agreed-Even if you don't like them or feel like you advance beyond their capabilities you should be able to get .50 on the dollar for them. Bought my daughter's first pair of new adult expert skis & bindings years ago for $199 shipped.  It was a close out deal for skis she still has and uses. My 4 pair quiver averages $550 with 3 new & 1 used pair so $340 is a very fair deal.

Keith_Moon
March 19, 2019
204 posts

marzNC wrote:

Can't help on the skis, but did notice that getting DSP Phantom applied only costs $50 extra, on top of $100 for the Phantom.  Note that you could do the treatment at home once it warms up a bit more.

I like Phantom.  I treated my carvers that I use in the mid-Atlantic and northeast in Jan 2018.  Haven't had to wax since then.  Have at least 25 days on those skis in assorted snow conditions, including a few days on very soft and sticky snow last May out west.  Did a direct comparison at Bachelor and Mammoth between the Phantom-treated skis and another pair that were all-mountain waxed with warm weather wax.  Ended up using the carvers more because of the glide on sticky snow even though the all-mountain skis were a more appropriate width/design for pushed around soft snow off-piste.  Phantom-treated skis slow down on sticky snow but don't lurch to a halt in a way that makes me very nervous.  Have since treated those all-mountain skis as well.

I know how to wax skis and have the basic items needed to do it at home.  But I'm also happier not having to deal with waxing every 2-3 ski days on man-made snow.  Especially since most of my ski days are not day trips.

That sounds cool - I'm tempted to get the Phantom application if I buy these based on your rec.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3,246 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

That sounds cool - I'm tempted to get the Phantom application if I buy these based on your rec.

I wrote more about Phantom in this thread:

How much is not having to wax worth? New idea from DPS

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2019
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Fischer is still family owned and still makes skis in Austria (and also Ukraine).  Fun article in New York Times last year in 2018 (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/sports/skiing/from-tree-to-ski-at-the-fischer-family-factory.html).  They are known for top notch craftsmanship.  They actually make a lot of skis for other brands.  I think their own in-house stuff is fantastic.  I'm on a pair of Ranger's this season and love them.  For whatever reason their North America marketing isn't very robust.  Their sponsorship is still mostly race oriented, which means European athletes American's have never heard of.  Their website is clunky and adapted from the Austrian site (and still has Austrian text).  My theory is that as a result is they don't have a lot of brand "cachet" and you can find great deals on their skis in North America.

Keith_Moon
March 20, 2019
204 posts

marzNC wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

There's a super long thread on Pugski about it here:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/review-dps-phantom-permanent-base-glide-treatment.7690/

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2019
3,246 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/review-dps-phantom-permanent-base-glide-treatment.7690/

Did you see that someone on Pugski is selling three unopened packs of Phantom for $75.  Note that it makes a difference if they are Version 1 or Version 2.  The cure time for Version 1 is 3 hours of strong sunlight, while that was shortened to only 1 hour per liquid (A, B) for Version 2.  Apparently Version 2 is also a bit faster in terms of glide.  Although for my style of skiing in the mid-Atlantic, Ver 1 on my AJs is plenty fast enough for the short slopes since I prefer to make more turns rather than straightline to another lift ride.

Keith_Moon
March 20, 2019
204 posts

marzNC wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

Did you see that someone on Pugski is selling three unopened packs of Phantom for $75.  Note that it makes a difference if they are Version 1 or Version 2.  The cure time for Version 1 is 3 hours of strong sunlight, while that was shortened to only 1 hour per liquid (A, B) for Version 2.  Apparently Version 2 is also a bit faster in terms of glide.  Although for my style of skiing in the mid-Atlantic, Ver 1 on my AJs is plenty fast enough for the short slopes since I prefer to make more turns rather than straightline to another lift ride.

Strangely, I just went on the L9 web site and selected those Fischer skis with the Phantom treatment and it said they were out of stock, which is really odd to me because it's not the skis which were out of stock - it's the Phantom treatment.  Which means what exactly?  They don't have a staff member who can do the application any more?  Because they can always get more of the actual fluid or wax or whatever you want to call it, unless DPS has stopped selling it, which is unlikely.  Very strange.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2019 (edited March 20, 2019)
3,246 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Strangely, I just went on the L9 web site and selected those Fischer skis with the Phantom treatment and it said they were out of stock, which is really odd to me because it's not the skis which were out of stock - it's the Phantom treatment.  Which means what exactly?  They don't have a staff member who can do the application any more?  Because they can always get more of the actual fluid or wax or whatever you want to call it, unless DPS has stopped selling it, which is unlikely.  Very strange.

Last season DPS did run out of Phantom 1.0 before summer.  They stopped making the old formulation since they were going to come out with an improved version.  I suppose it's possible there will be Phantom 3.0 for the 2019-20 season.

Out of curiosity I checked another pair of skis . . . DPS Wailer.  Also cannot be bought with Phantom 2.0 added by L9.  Note that the Phantom option is not included on all skis.  Doesn't seem to show up on skis that are geared more for beginners/intermediates that cost less than $300.

I don't know the arrangement for the Cure Stations.  If those are done on a lease arrangement, possible that a shop could decide not to keep it after a certain date.  Although I would think L9 has another few weeks for their late season sales.

zag33
April 4, 2019
Member since 01/28/2019 🔗
20 posts

crgildart wrote:

1) They'd be good right now, but you're 2) going to be at the upper limit if the binding DIN when you progress past advanced to expert abilities.  I'd ski them but I'm 15 pounds lighter than you.  That said, if you're 3) over 50 the DIN drops and they'd be good for you at any ability level.  4) The ski itsef looks great for our terrain options.

1) Yes looks like a good right now ski choice, a progressive frontside ski

2) Common generalization to say so - see below
3) Yes binding settings drop at 50 for all skier types
4) Reviews do look strong and contsruction a good fit for east coast type groomers

Height and weight are a factor, but it is the base sole length or length of the boot & foot - BSL that is by far the largest factor in determining DIN setting limits between different skiers. Two skiers of the same height and weight could have radically different DINs if they have different foot sizes. Or two skiers of different weights could have the same DIN. I have a friend 50 lbs lighter than I, same settings because his foot is proportionally smaller.

@keith_moon Enter you details here for an estimate if you don't already have an idea of your usual DIN values. A good tip is anytime you rent skis, to be sure to ask what they are setting you at, so you have an idea. Realizes these are just estimates, each binding maker has a slightly different chart: http://www.dincalculator.com/#/ If you don't know your BSL, look on your boot, or use this chart to estimate https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-sole-length-size-chart 

Important side note - Bindings, especially system (factory attached) are normally matched partially to the type of ski - as in a ski with a higher DIN value is targetted towards more agressive skiers. Not a rule but a consideration. So a ski with a max DIN of 10 would be one of their cheapest bindings, so geared toward a blue cruising skier. Not to say its not a good choice, especially if you're over 50 and just dropped a level down the charts, just take a look at the whole package. Price is relative here. A ski with a full retail price of under $450 is a entry level ski. It will certainly be a better ski than a standard rental ski (non-performance/+$$) anywhere here on the east.

If you haven't already been told - a quality pair of boots is FAR FAR more important than the ski. If you don't have boots, get them first.

A ski swap ski + a good fitting boot >>> Awesome perfectly matched ski + a mediocre fit boot

Keith_Moon
May 18, 2019
204 posts

Folks,

Any thoughts on these Brahmas relative to my personal situation? (6'2" 190 lbs, 52 years old - OK on groomed blacks)

https://www.powder7.com/Blizzard-Brahma-Ca-SP-Skis-180cm-Used-2018/for-sale

Of course everybody loves Brahmas in abstract and the price seems good.  The web site describes the bases as follows:

" Bases are in good to fair condition with scratching, a few deeper scratches, and several larger scrapes that have been refilled with ptex, especially under the bindings. "

TIA for any feedback.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 18, 2019
3,246 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Folks,

Any thoughts on these Brahmas relative to my personal situation? (6'2" 190 lbs, 52 years old - OK on groomed blacks)

https://www.powder7.com/Blizzard-Brahma-Ca-SP-Skis-180cm-Used-2018/for-sale

Of course everybody loves Brahmas in abstract and the price seems good.  The web site describes the bases as follows:

" Bases are in good to fair condition with scratching, a few deeper scratches, and several larger scrapes that have been refilled with ptex, especially under the bindings. "

TIA for any feedback.

The Brahma is considered "all-mountain" at 88 underfoot with a turn radius of 17 @180cm.  Certainly a popular ski.  But I noticed that for 2020, Blizzard came out with the Brahma 82.  For skiing mostly in the mid-Atlantic and northeast, something to be said for going with a narrower design and tighter turn radius.  But depends on what type of skiing you like best.

I'm not remotely in your size category.  Plus I'm a woman and a pretty solid advanced skier going off-piste over 60% of the time out west.  However, still worth noting that my "carver" skis for Mid-A and northeast skiing are 10mm narrower than my all-mountain skis.  My first pair of all-mountain skis when I was more of an advanced intermediate (about a dozen years ago), were slightly narrower than my current all-mountain skis but had a wide shovel (tip).  They were good on groomers and in up to about 4 inches of powder given how I skied back then.

Ski Essentials is a shop in VT that also has a very good e-store.  They do great reviews.  Might be worth a call to chat and see what they have to suggest.  Can have pretty good prices on previous year models.

http://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2018-Blizzard-Ski-Preview

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
May 18, 2019 (edited May 18, 2019)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I can't speak directly about the Ca but I owned the regular Brahma in a 180 cm from a few years back before the redesign for the 2018 model. I'm  5'10" I was about 210 lbs. and 63 when I skied it. I don't think I'm an expert skier, too many flaws in my technique but I like to ski blacks and off trail as much as possible but spend a lot of time on the groomers because I ski a lot locally and with a lack of consistent natural coverage...that's wht we have here. I don't seek out bumps and I'm not great skiing them but manage okay especially on steeper terrain with well formed (round) bumps. The ski has since gone to my son who is 5'11'', 180 lbs and a much better skier than I and he really likes the Brahma. The ski is a great all mountain eastern ski that performed very well in Utah powder and chopped powder on a trip there season before last. Great on groomed cruisers east and west. The Brahma will let you know if you do not remained centered on your skis. The Ca has no metal unlike its older brother so it should be more forgiving. I don't know if you've seen this review of the Ca: http://www.skiessentials.com/2018-ski-test?skis=blizzard-brahma-ca. As for price, it seems good. I just bought a demo pair of 2018 Head Super Shape I Titans that are in excellent condition from my local shop for $450 for a rough comparison for prices for top end used skis. 

Edit to correct model year on the Head SS Titan.

Keith_Moon
May 18, 2019
204 posts

Anything about the condition of this particular pair of skiis that would give you pause?  For example, the larger scrapes filled with Ptex?

May 18, 2019
2,038 posts

Scrapes and p-tex patched are what to expect from a used ski. I would be concerned about a core shot next to an edge but the description only mentions deep scratches under the bindings. That type of repair would not worry me.

Keith_Moon
May 26, 2019 (edited May 26, 2019)
204 posts

So I pulled the trigger and got these for $329:

https://www.powder7.com/Elan-Amphibio-80-Ti-Skis-176cm-Used-2018/for-sale

zag33
May 26, 2019
Member since 01/28/2019 🔗
20 posts

Hope you enjoy them.

If you didn't know, these skis are asymmetrical - They actually have a designated left and right ski - the rocker is different and designed so you're less likely to catch and outside edge. Don't get silly and swap them the wrong way!

Keith_Moon
May 26, 2019
204 posts

zag33 wrote:

Hope you enjoy them.

If you didn't know, these skis are asymmetrical - They actually have a designated left and right ski - the rocker is different and designed so you're less likely to catch and outside edge. Don't get silly and swap them the wrong way!

Yeah, I had read that and the dude at Powder7 mentioned it too.

Keith_Moon
June 4, 2019
204 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

So I pulled the trigger and got these for $329:

https://www.powder7.com/Elan-Amphibio-80-Ti-Skis-176cm-Used-2018/for-sale

...aaaaaand FedEx lost them.  WTAF

superguy
June 5, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I have the Amphibio XTI 88's.  Absolutely love them. Not sure how much it'll apply the the 80s, but the 88s really shine when they're pushed hard. They'll tire you out more if you're just lazily cruising down.  If you ski agressively, though, they really shine and hold a very nice edge.

I took them out to Solitude and they handled the groomers pretty well out there.  No complaints. I didn't venture off-piste or go into Honeycomb where they probably would have struggled more.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 5, 2019
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I can't speak directly about the Ca but I owned the regular Brahma in a 180 cm from a few years back before the redesign for the 2018 model. I'm  5'10" I was about 210 lbs. and 63 when I skied it. I don't think I'm an expert skier, too many flaws in my technique but I like to ski blacks and off trail as much as possible but spend a lot of time on the groomers because I ski a lot locally and with a lack of consistent natural coverage...that's wht we have here. I don't seek out bumps and I'm not great skiing them but manage okay especially on steeper terrain with well formed (round) bumps. The ski has since gone to my son who is 5'11'', 180 lbs and a much better skier than I and he really likes the Brahma. The ski is a great all mountain eastern ski that performed very well in Utah powder and chopped powder on a trip there season before last. Great on groomed cruisers east and west. The Brahma will let you know if you do not remained centered on your skis. The Ca has no metal unlike its older brother so it should be more forgiving. I don't know if you've seen this review of the Ca: http://www.skiessentials.com/2018-ski-test?skis=blizzard-brahma-ca. As for price, it seems good. I just bought a demo pair of 2018 Head Super Shape I Titans that are in excellent condition from my local shop for $450 for a rough comparison for prices for top end used skis. 

Edit to correct model year on the Head SS Titan.

2018 Head Super Shape I Titans:  are those the ones I stole from you one afternoon at Laurel Mtn?  What are their length and width.  REally loved those skis and could have used them the last month I was in Utah for spring ski season.

Keith_Moon
June 5, 2019 (edited June 6, 2019)
204 posts

superguy wrote:

I have the Amphibio XTI 88's.  Absolutely love them. Not sure how much it'll apply the the 80s, but the 88s really shine when they're pushed hard. They'll tire you out more if you're just lazily cruising down.  If you ski agressively, though, they really shine and hold a very nice edge.

I took them out to Solitude and they handled the groomers pretty well out there.  No complaints. I didn't venture off-piste or go into Honeycomb where they probably would have struggled more.

Great to hear that I made a good choice, but I have no expectation of getting them at this point.  Ugh

Edit: Lowes called me today and they had them the whole time.  For some reason FedEx deliverd my skis to Lowes.  WTF?

superguy
June 6, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Glad they found them and they tracked you down.  Amazing how things can get lost and misdelivered sometimes - makes you wonder what the driver was thinking.

June 7, 2019
2,038 posts

JimK wrote:

2018 Head Super Shape I Titans:  are those the ones I stole from you one afternoon at Laurel Mtn?  What are their length and width.  REally loved those skis and could have used them the last month I was in Utah for spring ski season.

Yep, them's the ones.  136/77/115mm 14.7m @ 177cm. I had to check that out because I thought they were 80mm under foot. You weren't the only one to steal them that day. Fun ski, wide enough for PA's deepest powder! 

1549755850_lfmlohwon.jpg

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
June 7, 2019
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

FedEx is the worst. They don't really care where it gets delivered. They have screwed up or lost numerous deliveries for me. I had a  computer delivered once and they dropped off at my neighbors house and left it out in the rain. The joke is, as long as they get it delivered to the correct County, they're good with it.

superguy
June 10, 2019
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I think they both have their plus and minuses.  I've had UPS screw up majorly.  When I was living in UT, I ordered memory from Micron in Boise, shipped UPS 2-day. Followed the tracking and saw it pass thru SLC - only to go thru to Lousiville.  Thinking they'd realize the mistake and route it back - they didn't.  Sent it to Arkansas after that and delivered it God knows where.  Not only did it pass me, they didn't even deliver it in the same region of the country. I don't know how someone - or their system - could possibly misread an address that badly.

I've never had a problem with FedEx.  Never had a package be late, and if they can get it there a day sooner, they will.  UPS, for better or worse - will deliver exactly when the service says. They'd rather let it sit in their warehouse for a day than deliver it a day sooner than what you paid for. But you can bank on it being there when they say it will.

wgo
June 14, 2019
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Has anyone skied the K2 Pinnacle 88? Any thoughts?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?