wgo
August 19, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 24, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Nice shot WGO. The mountains are big (4000'+) around Wintergreen. I've been busy with reunions and family vacation time over the last week, way to keep the fotos going. That shot looks like it was taken from Big Acorn, a short, but very nice advanced cruiser. Did you know that this summer Wintergreen is adding a hi-speed six pack to their other advanced area (Highlands)! Maybe it will be a precursor to some more trails over there. I've often wondered what kind of vertical could be achieved at Wintergreen if they ran a few trails all the way down to the nearby valley? They could probably surpass Snowshoe's 1500' vertical, but might have trouble holding snow at lower elevations.
wgo
August 24, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Quote:

I've often wondered what kind of vertical could be achieved at Wintergreen if they ran a few trails all the way down to the nearby valley? They could probably surpass Snowshoe's 1500' vertical, but might have trouble holding snow at lower elevations.

Yeah. The Wintergreen Ascent bike race, held each spring, goes from 1000 to 3500 feet, so that's 2500 feet vert right there. But I don't see that happening, the climate is just too mild at lower elevations. Maybe they could squeeze out another few hundred feet but I'm not sure that would make sense from mgmt's POV.
JohnL
August 26, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Nice picture. That's a pretty wide open GS course which has been set. Bet the racers hit some good speed at the bottom.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.