Opening Day Announcements 2014-15
64 posts
30 users
5k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 7, 2014
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

I haven't seen an opening day thread posted for this season, so here goes.  (Apologies if I missed it, but I did check.)  

Snowshoe says it's opening on Wednesday November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving: http://www.snowshoemtn.com/events-and-activities/events/2014/11/opening-day.aspx

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 8, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Not expecting anyone here to make the drive, but Sugar and Catalooche opened on Nov. 2.  The NC mountains got 8-10 inches of snow on Nov. 1 to give the snowguns quite a headstart.  I gather Snowshoe only got about 4 inches that weekend.

Tucker
November 9, 2014
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts

Advertised Opening Days for 2014-2015 season:

Sugar  -  Nov. 2

Catalooche - Nov. 2

Snowshoe - Nov. 26

Canaan Valley Resort - Nov. 29

Timberline Resort - Dec. 12

........any more to the list?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 9, 2014
3,245 posts

As of Oct. 20, Bryce is hoping to open on Dec. 13 according to their website.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 9, 2014
3,245 posts

Wintergreen moved their blog entries to the core website.  Their first post about the winter season includes a reminder that they stared blowing snow in late Nov and opened on Nov. 30.  No mention of dates for 2014.  

http://www.wintergreenresort.com/ContemtTemplate/Blog.aspx?id=1238&postId=1395

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2014
3,245 posts

Wintergreen is saying they will be open for Thanksgiving weekend.  Even hoping that Highlands will have open trails.

crgildart
November 13, 2014
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Tucker wrote:

Sugar  -  Nov. 2

Catalooche - Nov. 2

Snowshoe - Nov. 26

It should only count as an official opening if they actually remain open for more than two or three days..  I know, I am such a critic and cynic.  Looking forward to getting in some laps Thanksgiving weekend if possible though..

Tucker
November 13, 2014
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Agree...so make an updated list :)
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2014
3,245 posts

crgildart wrote:

Tucker wrote:

Sugar  -  Nov. 2

Catalooche - Nov. 2

Snowshoe - Nov. 26

It should only count as an official opening if they actually remain open for more than two or three days..  I know, I am such a critic and cynic.  Looking forward to getting in some laps Thanksgiving weekend if possible though..

Cat only closed for a day or two and did stay open during the week.  I think that counts.

You should have plenty of options for Thanksgiving weekend.  Perhaps even the weekend before.

rbrtlav
November 18, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Any new ones so far for this weekend? (Nov 22) Looks like a bunch might have enough snow to open if they want to. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2014
3,245 posts

Massanutten will open for tubing for the weekend only, Nov. 22-23.  Opening the ski slopes Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving weekend at least.  Not sure when daily ops will start.  Mnut got their rotating webcam working again.  Starting blowing the lower part of DJ today.  Top already had enough to be seen from the highway.

Wintergreen will open Nov. 29.

pboulay
November 19, 2014
Member since 11/21/2013 🔗
16 posts

Bryce Resort announced this morning that they will open this weekend (Nov. 22-23).  Tickets are $35 ($32 online).  Slopes look pretty good on webcam.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2014
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

pboulay wrote:

Bryce Resort announced this morning that they will open this weekend (Nov. 22-23).  Tickets are $35 ($32 online).  Slopes look pretty good on webcam.

So BRYCE beats all the other PA-WV-VA resorts for the earliest announcement of the earliest opening for skiing + snowboarding?!? Hoo-ray for Bryce, then!  Thanks for the update pboulay.

Woody

rbrtlav
November 19, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Well that is close enough I might take the drive. Never been there but looks like it would be a nice day trip for some early skiing. 

AndyGene
November 19, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

If you live in the Cincinnati area or really like driving a long way for 400 feet of vert, Perfect North is opening on Friday November 21.  I think I may go down from Columbus on Saturday morning.

Antoine
November 19, 2014
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

I saw on a video that mountain creek nj was going to try to open on or before November 30. Also 7s propably will open around thanksgiving. On whitetail it looks like angel drop looks good aswell as velvet. No way of telling about snow park trails because the cam is not setup yet.

Antoine
November 19, 2014
275 posts

Does anyone have news about blue knob? I know jack da it and mambo alley have descent snowmaking. Temps at the knob are close to those of snowshoe so it's not gonna melt. Its blue knob so I assume they are not. Facebook page and website does not. Say anything. Also i have been told that some nearby town has a webcam where you can see the mnt.

mook21
November 19, 2014
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

NC resorts are always opening at least 1 month before the WV and Pa resorts up this way and also seem to stay open longer than ours do... I know they have much higher elevations, several above 5,000 ft, but still, they are really aggressive! 

Heath
November 19, 2014
Member since 04/30/2012 🔗
44 posts
Blue mountain will open this Saturday
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 20, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Hidden Valley and Seven Springs 11/28

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 20, 2014 (edited November 20, 2014)
3,245 posts

mook21 wrote:

NC resorts are always opening at least 1 month before the WV and Pa resorts up this way and also seem to stay open longer than ours do... I know they have much higher elevations, several above 5,000 ft, but still, they are really aggressive! 

Sometimes there are advantages to being smaller.  App opened today with a base of 28-58" and 9 trails of 12, 4 lifts of 6, on their 27 acres.  App also keeps making snow longer than larger places come March. 

Cataloochee and Sugar always compete to be first to open.  Can has about 25 acres to cover while Sugar is content to open with only a couple lifts and a few trails.

Sugar opened the new trail today.  Looks pretty impressive given how wide it is compared to the other trails visible from the road.  Is considered a blue.   Gunther’s Way adds 9 skiable acres, is 150 feet wide and 2,900 feet long, has 700 foot vertical drop.

http://www.hcpress.com/upcoming-events/gunthers-way-opens-tomorrow-at-sugar-mountain-resort.html

camp
November 20, 2014
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Antoine wrote:

Does anyone have news about blue knob? ..

Usually, Blue Knob's opening weekends are only the top of the mountain - the less challenging and interesting stuff.  I've gone over thanksgiving before and been pretty disappointed.  I know better now.

I'm considering either Bryce (2 hour drive) or Blue Mtn (2.5 hr) for a day this weekend.  Bryce will be open top-bottom becuz that's all they have.  Blue looks to be only open at the top, which in their case, looks to be the better terrain (never been there). If Whitetail decides to open Angel Drop, I'll go there instead (short drive)

Antoine
November 20, 2014 (edited November 20, 2014)
275 posts

I really whish  the local resort would let us hike up the mnt and let us ski down as long as there is no snow making or anything like that. I know stowe lets ppl do so for a small fee or even for free. It would be really cool to do so. WT has their guns on now also. Out of the three I think WT has the best base then RMR and liberty only has one trail ( terrain park) which would be curently openable.

rbrtlav
November 20, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Roundtop has already said they will not be opening this weekend, and one of the facebook posts kind of implied liberty is going to pass on this weekend as well but nevr said anything for certain. Whitetail has remained quiet so I'm hoping they open, if not I might give Bryce a try.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Antoine
November 20, 2014
275 posts

Bases on the curent totals wt does not have enought to open angle drop. The wind is totaly killing it. On the subject  of blue knob does anyone think That they are even making snow? I know they "added" a glade to their trail map aswell as updating it with their website but they still dont seem to grasp the importance of social media and a web cam.

David
November 20, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Antoine wrote:

I really whish  the local resort would let us hike up the mnt and let us ski down as long as there is no snow making or anything like that. I know stow lets ppl do so for a small fee or even for free. It would be really cool to do so. WT has their guns on now also. 

Skiing at Whitegrass was free yesterday, today, and will be tomorrow.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 20, 2014
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

David wrote:

Antoine wrote:

I really whish  the local resort would let us hike up the mnt and let us ski down as long as there is no snow making or anything like that. I know stow lets ppl do so for a small fee or even for free. It would be really cool to do so. WT has their guns on now also. 

Did Chip waive trail fees?  If not, they are modest and should be paid.  The Whitegrass family are passionately devoted to what they do.  They are not corporate and do not have a safety net.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2014
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Don't be a hater, its fair for a resort to open only on weekends early and late.  better than nothing.

Sugar opening Gunters way so early in the season is pretty impressive for both the resort and mother nature.  I have not been to Sugar in 20 years but this may get me there.

Beech Mtn is opening Nov 28.  Their videos show some huge snowmaking whales.  Looks good.  

FreshPow
November 21, 2014
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Whitetail has remained quiet so I'm hoping they open, .

Go to Bryce. Won't happen this weekend. ..but volunteers/workers are being told to manage their Thanksgivings accordingly (not always a welcome request) to cover possible shifts next weekend. Will depend on how warm this warm up gets.

Finally, for those commenting about how nice it would be to hike slopes locally, presumably when snowmaking isn't going - seriously? One, it's not fluffy powder. It's base snow. It sticks. Two, there are a hell of a lot of hoses and open equipment. It's as much an industrial work zone. Snowmakers are required to wear helmets, per OSHA regs.

Earn your turns makes sense at the Mad River Glens and Magics up in Vermont (if not Whitegrass) where it's natural and not a maze of unmarked man-made obstacles screaming 'attorneys come hither'. Just to set you straight. ;-)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2014
3,245 posts

Summary of options for skiing Thanksgiving weekend.

VA: Massanutten (11/28), Wintergreen (11/29), Bryce (guessing 11/29, if not 11/28)
MD: Wisp (not announced, probably yes?)
WV: Snowshoe (11/26), Canaan Valley (11/29), Timberline (probably not?), Winterplace (probably not?)

NY Catskills: Belleayre, Hunter, Windham - all open for daily ops starting 11/28

Announced dates taken from SkiPA on Nov. 21:
Tentative opening dates (weather dependent)

Pocono / Northeast PA 
Blue Mountain - Saturday, November 22 [daily ops after Thanksgiving]
Shawnee - November 28
Camelback - November 28

Central PA
Ski Sawmill - November 29

Western PA 
Seven Springs - November 28
Hidden Valley - November 28

SCWVA
November 21, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

FreshPow wrote:

Finally, for those commenting about how nice it would be to hike slopes locally, presumably when snowmaking isn't going - seriously? One, it's not fluffy powder. It's base snow. It sticks. Two, there are a hell of a lot of hoses and open equipment. It's as much an industrial work zone. Snowmakers are required to wear helmets, per OSHA regs.

Earn your turns makes sense at the Mad River Glens and Magics up in Vermont (if not Whitegrass) where it's natural and not a maze of unmarked man-made obstacles screaming 'attorneys come hither'. Just to set you straight. ;-)

If you can't ski sticky snow and avoid the hoses, guns, groomers, water bars,underbrush, etc. you shouldn't be hiking for turns.  Here in the MA, the only DH ski resort I know of that you can earn your turns without getting hassled by the Fun Police, is Timberline.

David
November 21, 2014
2,444 posts

Denis wrote:

David wrote:

Antoine wrote:

Did Chip waive trail fees?  If not, they are modest and should be paid.  The Whitegrass family are passionately devoted to what they do.  They are not corporate and do not have a safety net.

Denis, they groomed out about 3km of the snow farm and people can come ski that for free. It's their "unofficial opening". 

TomH
November 21, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

MarcNz - thanks for the list.  Bryce is open weekends beginning tomorrow. Their webpage says open for sure the 29th and possibly 28th.

Since I've skied at Timberline they have never opened before their official opening date which is December 12th.

Heading to Bryce myself tomorrow to get first turns of the season.  Maybe see some of you there.

Antoine
November 21, 2014 (edited November 21, 2014)
275 posts

BK will try to open for the 2nd week of december but may get to the first.They got some natural on the summit as seen on their FB post

Also Winterplace wv will open on the 28!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2014
3,245 posts

Anyone know anything about Wisp?

Antoine
November 21, 2014 (edited November 21, 2014)
275 posts

All I know is that Weather Channel forcasting cancelled their page aswell as blue knob and several others.

FreshPow
November 22, 2014
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Antoine - just saw that hiking photo on the Whitetail facebook page that you commented on. ...made me go, "huh?" as well! 

Sorry it wasn't a new policy..you're jumping to get out on a hill somewhere. May that happen soon enough.

jimmy
November 22, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

TomH wrote:

MarcNz - thanks for the list.  Bryce is open weekends beginning tomorrow. Their webpage says open for sure the 29th and possibly 28th.

Since I've skied at Timberline they have never opened before their official opening date which is December 12th.

Heading to Bryce myself tomorrow to get first turns of the season.  Maybe see some of you there.

But they always (almost) stayed open FOR SKIING into April. 

David
November 22, 2014
2,444 posts

I, like everyone else, have been curious with Wisp's earlier season methods this year. I can remember a few years ago when they could have their entire mountain (hill) opened by the second week in December with good weather. They were always the more enjoyable ones to watch early season snowmaking on their 1,000 webcams. Over the past few years this hasn't been the case and this year particularly sucks. I sent them a message to see what was up. This what I got: 

"Are you guys opening this year? What's with the summer site still being up? Where are the Webcams? Are you guys asleep at the wheel or what?"

"Hello David,
        Yes we are going to open this year, we are currently blowing snow and would like to be open the day after thanksgiving. That is not set in stone just yet and we shall have more details about the opening date the beginning of next week. The website is updated with new rates for each activity. The webcams will not be in use until we have opened the mountain for skiing."

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 22, 2014
3,245 posts

David wrote:

I, like everyone else, have been curious with Wisp's earlier season methods this year. I can remember a few years ago when they could have their entire mountain (hill) opened by the second week in December with good weather. They were always the more enjoyable ones to watch early season snowmaking on their 1,000 webcams. Over the past few years this hasn't been the case and this year particularly sucks. I sent them a message to see what was up. This what I got: 

"Are you guys opening this year? What's with the summer site still being up? Where are the Webcams? Are you guys asleep at the wheel or what?"

"Hello David,
        Yes we are going to open this year, we are currently blowing snow and would like to be open the day after thanksgiving. That is not set in stone just yet and we shall have more details about the opening date the beginning of next week. The website is updated with new rates for each activity. The webcams will not be in use until we have opened the mountain for skiing."

I looked at the Wisp Facebook page last night.  Everytime someone asked about an opening date, they did answer pretty quickly.  Just said it wasn't set yet.

This morning, the SkiSE blog gave Wisp grief about the static pictures on the webcams.  Also noted that Snowshoe was slow to add webcams when the technology was first available but is now fully on board.

Antoine
November 22, 2014
275 posts

Its unfortunate wisp does not have a webcams set up until they are open BUT on the other hand BK still does not have a web cam, and unfortunatly it does not look like they ever will. I have always wanted to get a job at BK even for no pay but I live way to far away.

TomH
November 25, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Whitetail's web page says they are opening on Friday.

Scott - DCSki Editor
November 25, 2014
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Here's a press release Whitetail just distributed:

WHITETAIL RESORT SET TO OPEN FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28

MERCERSBURG, PA ”“ Winter is making another early arrival this year to our region. After months of preparation and several successful days of snowmaking, Whitetail Resort is pleased to announce that it will open its doors for skiing and snowboarding on Friday, November 28, 2014. Hours of operation are Friday and Saturday, from 8:30 am until 10:00 pm, and on Sunday, Nov. 30 from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm. The resort will open with 7 trails and 5 lifts in operation. More terrain is expected to open soon. Whitetail Adventure Snow Tubing will open at a later date.

The 2014-2015 season promises to be another great winter at the resort. The Whitetail staff has planned a season filled with events and fun activities the whole family can enjoy. Capital improvements made this past summer will enhance the winter snowsports experience for all Whitetail guests visiting the resort this winter. During the off season, the resort spent over 2 million dollars on capital projects.

At the top of the list of improvements is the significant snowmaking upgrades made on the Upper Angel Drop and Lower Angel Drop trails. Twenty new fully automated Techno Alpin fan guns replace snowmaking equipment that had been in use for many years along those trails. The Whitetail Learning Center has been redesigned to house the Kid’s Mountain Camp as well as the Ski School Private Lesson Desk. This improvement provides more space for all of our children’s programs. The Child Care Center has been relocated to the lower level of the Main Lodge. The area previously known as the “Down Under” has been completely remodeled to provide a fun new space for child care. New rental equipment and rental facility improvements, new digital sign boards around the resort, and paved parking and driveways are just a few of the other improvements made over the summer at the resort.

The long range forecast for the 2014-2015 Winter looks very favorable for cold and wintry weather. “We look forward to hosting many skiers, snowboarders, and snow tubers during what promises to be an outstanding winter season” stated Don MacAskill, Whitetail Resort President. Guests are asked to monitor Whitetail Resort’s website at skiwhitetail.com for opening day details and information.

SCWVA
November 25, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Wow!  It doesn't look like WT is offering any early season discounts.

4hr - Junior Ticket = $53

4hr - Adult Ticket = $66

Looks like the family won't be skiing the Snowtime resorts this season.

BMeister
November 25, 2014
Member since 11/24/2014 🔗
1 posts

Wisp's webcams have been up for a few days now.  They are definitely blowing snow on some of the slopes.  Not sure if they will open this Friday.  I'm hoping they will.

G Unit
November 25, 2014
Member since 11/19/2014 🔗
1 posts

Hey guys I'm fairly new here so forgive my ignorance (lurker). Does anyone have insight about the crowds opening day at Whitetail? I'm tempted to go for sure and get there early but dodging throngs of people on a few trails might convince me to wait. Still, skiing is better than not skiing. 

therusty
November 25, 2014
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts

Crowds at Whitetail's opening day vary on a lot of factors. Whitetail's opening day is usually much better than the "White Ribbon Of Death" common at the early Colorado resort openings. This year, the snow that is forecast for tomorrow will bring more people out, but Turkey Day will have a lot of people traveling and Black Friday will have a lot of people shopping. The hard core skiers tend to wait until more terrain is open. Whitetail's secret is that the snow is usually better than you expect it to be. I'm going. (disclosure - I work there)

therusty
November 25, 2014
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts

SCWVA wrote:

4hr - Adult Ticket = $66

The Snow Time resorts have not offered opening day limited terrain discounts for some while now. The Advantage Card with the 40% discounts and the free day after 5 visits is intended to be a better deal. Personally, I think the $10 group lesson deal is better than any typical early season discount, but I am biased and your turning radius may vary. We'll miss you.

Adamh21 - DCSki Supporter 
November 25, 2014
Member since 12/4/2008 🔗
26 posts

Rusty do you happen to know which trails are open? Website says 7 trails and I know the Whitetail Express will be up and going. Very cool to see the local resorts open in November!

Antoine
November 25, 2014
275 posts

Probably the same as normaly... Angel drop snowpark maybe sidewinder if we are lucky. Besides that beginer trails. They say they will a once later today thought so we wait and see.

AndyGene
November 25, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

I know this probably only applies to me.... Snow Trails in Mansfield, Ohio (Midway between Columbus and Cleveland) will be open Friday November 28.  It only has 300 feet of vert. So I wouldn't travel from very far to get there.  I know I can't travel to Snow Shoe or Seven Springs this weekend, so it will have to do.

rbrtlav
November 25, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Liberty appears to be offering a $39 8 hour ticket this weekend only according to thier facebook page

SCWVA wrote:

4hr - Adult Ticket = $66

Antoine
November 25, 2014
275 posts

So is roundtop. I would rather go to rmr then lib if i where you! Well at  least based on current snow conditions, of course we need to wait for the cold to hit . But at the moment  I would say rmr  has more snow on minuteman the WT has on Angel Drop.

David
November 25, 2014 (edited November 25, 2014)
2,444 posts

therusty wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

4hr - Adult Ticket = $66

The Snow Time resorts have not offered opening day limited terrain discounts for some while now. The Advantage Card with the 40% discounts and the free day after 5 visits is intended to be a better deal. Personally, I think the $10 group lesson deal is better than any typical early season discount, but I am biased and your turning radius may vary. We'll miss you.

It actually doesn't vary. If you've skied behind him you'd know he only has one turning radius: short.

BaltoBill
November 26, 2014
Member since 02/24/2014 🔗
23 posts

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether any mountains within a 3.5 hour drive will have more than a few runs open on Sunday.  I looked at Canaan Valley and it seems that very little is open and certainly not enough for a drive.  Couldn't tell anything from the 7 Springs website.  I also can't see paying full prices at Liberty if 6 trails are open.  Any ideas anyone?  Thanks and enjoy the snow!  Bill

rbrtlav
November 26, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Whitetail liberty and round top are quite discounted this weekend 

Special Thanksgiving Pricing:
Lift Tickets (Advantage Cards - Bring It - Discounts Will Be Applied)
All Day - All Ages $39
Night - All Ages - $29
Senior - $19.50

Packages:
Learn to Ski or Snowboard - Day and Night - $49
All Mountain Day - $89
All Mountain Night - $69

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
November 26, 2014 (edited November 26, 2014)
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

Very surprised Whitetail is able to open on Friday considering it was 70 on Monday.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 26, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Kep eye on weather Sunday, rain possible☔️ 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 26, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Kep eye on weather Sunday, rain possible☔️ 

sailandski22
November 26, 2014
Member since 02/13/2014 🔗
24 posts

Looks as though WISP will open for thanksgiving but only the Wisp Trail will be open......might have to head to whitetail or canaan to get my november turns in

http://wispresort.com/docs/2014-2015-winter-opening.pdf

crgildart
November 26, 2014 (edited November 27, 2014)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Looking at hitting Beech Friday morning for a couple hours.  I haven't seen any other info/details other than they plan to open Friday the 28th.  Hoping the hype for Sugar and their new trail along with the lack of info from Beech means Beech won't be too crowded Friday.  Temps have been favoreable for making lots of snow and they are getting fresh today and tomorrow as well.  I doubt they will have the black terrain open but should have most of the rest skiable.  

chaga
November 27, 2014
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

The local news (WBOY) has been reporting that Timberline is openeing TOMORROW Friday 11/28 followed by Canaan on Saturday.  However Tline doesn't open til Dec 12th.

They also said Winterplace is opening Friday, so maybe it's a typo.

Antoine
November 27, 2014 (edited November 28, 2014)
275 posts

Winter place is opening on friday they announced that a while ago

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2014
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

In what was to me a complete surprise Boyce Park, the Allegheny County owned ski area in the county park of the same name, opened for operations on Friday. Read about Boyce and opening day announcements from that other big nearby ski resort operator in Larry Walsh's Saturday Snowsports column in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. This is perhaps the park's earliest opening in its nearly 50 year history. Rates were not provided on the daily snow report but referred instead to the County web site for details. The web site lists a weekend day rate of $22 Adult, $16.00 Junior/Senior (13-17&60 and up) $8.00 Child, details here.

Boyce Park is located less than 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh in eastern suburb, Monroeville.The operation is managed by Mountain Works Inc. The recent purchase of 11 fully automated TechnoAlpin portable snowmakers made this earliest ever opening possible. With a committed facility manager in place Boyce Park is ready to resume its prime role as the alpine skier generator for Greater Pittsburgh. The future of Western Pennsylvania snowsports just got a sorely needed infrastructure upgrade that will offer thousands of families an affordable and convenient way to sample our sport. With small feeder hills all but gone I always thought that the future of the sport would slowly experience an overall decline as only the resort mega giants and mega prices survive. If I would have know that Boyce was opening this weekend I would have made the time to take the entire family out for first turns. How I would love to begin that Thanksgiving tradition.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.