Blue Knob Full open.
7 posts
4 users
tromano
January 26, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
As per their website, all trails are open. Time to check it out says I.
Roger Z
January 26, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Tromano I rode a lift yesterday with a couple guys that skied Blue Knob on Friday... word is to STAY AWAY. They said that there were only three runs that were seriously skiable and every run was lathered in ice. I asked about the glades and they said "yeah, they were open, but you wouldn't want to ski in them." With Whitegrass as of Friday reporting just over a foot of snow at their 4000 foot stake, that means BK is probably skiing on less than a foot of *untracked* snow in their glades-- add a few skiers to it and you're probably looking at ice-covered rocks for a terrain surface.
danwxman
January 28, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
Blue Knob got 10" of snow yesterday, more expected every day this week. I might be going up this weekend!
JohnL
January 28, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I'm debating between Plattekill and The Knob myself.
tromano
January 28, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
JohnL,

I have heard of platekill before on Epicski and was intrigued. how far is it from DC? Close enough for a good weekend trip (friday night -sunday)? Also where is a good palce to stay up there? It seems like they are in the middle of nowhere.

JohnL
January 28, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Never been to Plattekill but it's been on my to visit list for ages. I first heard about it on the Ski Vermont Listserv, and those are some pretty tough people to please wrt terrain. Ski or Skiing also did an intriguing blurb about it a few years back.

It's about the same distance as Hunter (5-6 hours?). Plattekill's website doesn't list driving times or distances from DC or Baltimore, so I'm guessing a bit. 5-6 hours would put it in about the same driving category as Snowshoe. I drive the I-95 corridor all the time, so that doesn't bother me.

I'm still figuring out where to stay if I go there. I'm guessing one of the towns relatively near the Thruway.

If I can't take off early enough on Friday to drive up there, I may wait until President's Day Weekend to check it out.

Roger Z
January 28, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I'm interested in a Plattekill trip too but not this weekend. If you go up there please provide a report when you come back! Maybe if the snow holds it'd be good to take a trip there later this winter... mid Feb perhaps.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?