The Knob
5 posts
3 users
rideVT
February 26, 2003
Member since 02/26/2003 🔗
2 posts
Anyone going to Blue Knob Mountain this weekend? I am wondering if it is worth the 3 hour drive from DC. From what I've heard it has a decent amount of glades and some steeps and "skis bigger" than its 1000 ft vertical. I've also heard it proclaims itself as a mini Mad River -I'm from VT and have skied Mad River since my teens and would appreciate any reviews/recommendations. Thanks.
JohnL
February 26, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Blue Knob is definitely worth the drive, especially if the natural snow trails are open (as they are now).

From experience, I wouldn't take brand new skis into the lower mountain glades (even in a good snow year). Expect some base repair to be needed, how much depends upon how lucky you are. There is a good chance that the mound of snow ahead is barely covering a rock or stump. Coverage in the glades is much, much, much, much, much worse than in VT. If you have skis that you are willing to somewhat risk, the glades are without a doubt worth it.

rideVT
February 26, 2003
Member since 02/26/2003 🔗
2 posts
I'm used to dodging stumps, rocks, grass, and whatever else comes along -I'm looking to go on Sunday so I hope with this dusting that we're getting right now, some of the snow will still be on the hill, or at least pushed to the side of the trail by the time I get up there. Will definitely brink rock skis though, thanks.
JohnL
February 26, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
You'll only need your rock skis for the glades, so don't be afraid to also take along a good pair of skis.

Dodging obstacles is pretty easy if you can see them, but you may very well encounter a rocky hidden base in the glades. Until you actually ski over it, you'll have no idea if it's snow or rock. Caveat emptor.

Let us know what you think of Blue Knob and the current conditions.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 27, 2003
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
According to their website, http://www.blueknob.com/, everything is open, including 100% of their gnarly, all natural glades. If you want to see the MRG of the south, this is the time! I believe even a hardcore MRG regular might find something of interest there. Blue Knob tends to be a little cheaper and a little less crowded then closer areas too.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.