Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Go here; you'll see.
http://skishop.iski.com/
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 7, 2001
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Snowshoe is reporting 22" new snow in the last couple of days. Killington reported 29" new yesterday afternoon and total of 36" expected.
Roy
March 19, 2001
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Blue Knob reported they got 4" on Friday. So instead of the 5 hour trip to the shoe, I went the 2.5 hour trip to the knob.

It was worth it. All major slopes had coverage. There were a few icy patches but nothing bare. All but one glade was closed, lower Route 66 had some bare patches but it should have been closed. They were great spring conditions. However, in about 3 sunny days, it won't be worth it anymore.

(Anonymous)
March 20, 2001
I heard snowshoe was supposed to get a ton of snow tomorrow, does anyone know anything about this?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 20, 2001
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Please note the latest NOAA weather statement issued this afternoon..... YEEEPPPEEEEEEE!!

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

.../NEW.KRLX.WS.W.0010.210000-220000/ POCAHONTAS WV- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MARLINTON 320 PM EST TUE MAR 20 2001
...WINTER STORM WARNING FOR TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...

THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR POCAHONTAS COUNTY. WIND BLOWN SNOW WILL DEVELOP THIS EVENING...AND CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ON RIDGES. WINDS WILL BE FROM THE EAST...WITH GUSTS OF 30 TO 40 MPH...CAUSING BLOWING SNOW ACROSS OPEN AREAS.

<<< CALL TO ACTION >>> A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW IS ISSUED WHEN SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST. SNOWFALL INTENSITIES WILL BE HEAVY ENOUGH TO SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCE VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. ROADS WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS...AND UNNECESSARY TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Roy
March 21, 2001
609 posts
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!
(Anonymous)
March 21, 2001
has anyone been to Liberty in the last few days? is it worth going?
(Anonymous)
March 21, 2001
Liberty is now WEEKENDS ONLY.
were 100 % open Sun 3/18/01

Major Nor'easter now.
Sky Valley Ga got 11 inches,
NC Mountains got up to 2 ft.

WVA, Wisp, BK, 7 Springs may get big dumps
or just rain depending on storm track.
RT and Liberty likely to have all rain.
John

Finsout
March 23, 2001
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
they are now closed. dont worry roundtop has tons of snow left. they just gave up.
(Anonymous)
March 23, 2001
Yeah, I saw this morning that both resorts have closed for the season. I guess with the weather report for the weekend - rain most of tomorrow and temps around 50 - they figured it best - probably a smart move.
Finsout
March 26, 2001
104 posts
i dont think its a smart move to close when you still have great coverage. i was up to clean out my locker this weekend and they still had tons of snow on every major slope. i also dont think its a smart move to coninue to charge full price for lift tickets when they know public interest is waning in the spring. as a passholder i feel ripped off but then i should come to expect that from those folks.
twin58
March 26, 2001
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
At the very least, they should forget trying to get top dollar in the spring for people who show up on the weekend.
(Anonymous)
March 26, 2001
I understand your feelings, but you need to remember it is a business. I have a retail business and understand some of their logic. For one, it poured rain up there on Saturday - not very profitable for a business. In addition, I was up there the prior weekend and there was hardly anyone there. They need to be able to make some money. I can't say what Roundtop was like, but Liberty was not in very good condition by the weekend anyway. I, too, have a season pass and I think that a little over 100 days (I counted on my own and did not their word for it) is VERY good especially for this area. It beats the heck out of the 80 day seasons of the last couple years.
Finsout
March 26, 2001
104 posts
yes they did have a long season, but as a snowboarder, i feel that rt didnt do a good job at all this year even though they had excellent conditons for snowmaking etc. out of the 64 days i rode, the pipe was only excellent 7 of those ( i keep a journal of these things). thats not a very good percentage especially since they market their snowboarding program around the pipe. as a business, they do need to make money and as a retailer you know that if things slump you have to come up with creative ways to get people out. at rt, the effort just wasnt there at the end. it might be because of their current management problem, but to lots of rt people, they just gave up at the end instead of putting all that snow to good use. i'll make a bet that you could still ski minuteman by the middle of april. they put so much money into the beginning of the season that the end suffers and they close prematurely citing poor turnout. there are tons of people who still want to ski, but you cant expect them to pay full price for frozen granular. instead we get excuses, the ONE thing rt is very good at.
Mo
March 26, 2001
Member since 03/26/2001 🔗
33 posts
Went to Wisp on Saturday. My boyfriend and I are true novices -- we just put on skis for the first time in our lives in late January. We went to Liberty four times this season, taking lessons there twice. We really enjoyed it and had managed to get down all the beginner slopes, although we still need quite a bit of work before we can move on to the intermediate slopes. I was wanting to make one more day of it this year, and since Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail were all closed, we went to Wisp. I knew they still had snow and I wanted to try their Possum trail which I had heard was a good one for beginners. We had no problem with the trail, but we had great difficulty with the chairlift. They were running it at a really high speed and we had a very hard time getting on and off of it. In fact, my boyfriend got injured by the chair because it turned at the end of the lift at such a high speed that it whacked him in the arm as he was coming down the ramp and made his arm blue! Maybe they assume everyone is more experienced if they're still skiing in late-March. Anyway, we complained to the ski office that we were having too much difficulty and we had only been on the slopes for 35 minutes. The manager wouldn't even come talk to us and refused to consider a refund of any sort. We were very frustrated -- there weren't any other lifts available to their beginner trails, so we left. I really feel like Wisp doesn't care about novices. We had been to Wisp in late January to learn how to ski and the lessons were horrible and we learned nothing. We ended up learning how to ski at Liberty -- they were much better with helping beginners. I know most of you reading this are intermediate or expert skiers, so this probably won't make much difference to you. But if you ever have friends who are beginners, don't take them to Wisp! P.S. It was actually snowing at Wisp on Saturday, but no accumulation.

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 03-26-2001).]

AirHawk
March 26, 2001
Member since 12/27/2000 🔗
50 posts
try sevensprings there a nice big place with wide trails and i have never taken beginner lessions but they are probably pretty good.. they are really family orinatated so the lifts shouldent be that fast adn they will be open for another couple weeks... maybe u can get one more trip there about 30 to 60 minutes father than wisp from dc i think if i remember right but its worth it..... i would reconmend it over wisp lot bigger place better for beginners and better snow...
i bet the lessions would be better two since its a family orintated placelike shoe,liberty etc...

tahts my two cents

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 27, 2001
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
spent the weekend at the "Shoe" (22-25 Mar) and after receiving about a foot of snow on Wednesday, we had another 4-6" on Friday evening. Conditions were excellent, considering it it Spring, and although the bottom of Cupp and Shays were mushy, the rest of the resort had awesome conditions.

Snowshoe has one more weekend to go, as they will close April 1, not due to lack of snow, but looking at the balance sheet. I also think they want to start on their new construction projects as soon as possible. Once the new Allegheny Springs condos and the Aqua World Center are open, it will resemble an updated Mt. Tremblant. That and, I hope that they do expand their skiable area this year.

Lou

Mo
March 27, 2001
Member since 03/26/2001 🔗
33 posts
Thanks, AirHawk! I looked at the Seven Springs website and it looks like it would be much nicer than Wisp. I'll try to head up there one of the next two weekends.

Does anybody think any of the local resorts will still be open for Easter weekend?

AirHawk
March 27, 2001
Member since 12/27/2000 🔗
50 posts
there is a good change that 7springs will still be open.. if people keep going (enough for them to turn a profit or break even they will stay open... probably they wana stay open for easter.... but its late in the year and people often hear up north or out west..... ur might trying driving out north for easter maybe killington... 8-10 hour or so drive BUT WORTH IT...like if i remember right 11 mountains and over 200 trails or something its huge... but as i said probably 7springs will be the only open local resort
Roy
March 30, 2001
609 posts
Mo don't let the jerks at Wisp get you down. I'm glad to see we're still getting new people to the sport. Think Snow!
(Anonymous)
March 30, 2001
Timberline has tons of snow. Nearly everything is open. They will be open till April 8th. One week longer than mighty Snowshoe.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.