Liberty: current conditions
7 users
9k+ views
Was at Liberty Tuesday evening (1/24) and can report that it's disappointing, especially in comparison to how much better it's been earlier this season.
I was expecting to see evidence of the 8 inches of snow their web page reported but it's either melted, been compressed, or they lied. Everywhere I look offtrail, I see 2 inches on the ground. The beginner slopes were basically ice. The expert slopes had a good inch of fluff on top of a hard sheet of ice.
<<
I went to WT Tuesday and found the slopes much better maintained that what I have seen at Liberty this season. I guess the old WT staff is still in place and doing things the old WT way despite the new ownership.
>>
Lots of young boarders seem to insist going up in a chair by themselves, even when they are with their buds.
<<
That was happening at WT too. It's not onlu boarders, as skiers were just as guilty. I almost always had the four-person chair all to myself.
There must have some mishap recently with boarders at WT, as the lift workers were strictly enforcing a policy that boarders must have retention straps. (I was going to say "leashes," but I don't believe in that skier vs. boarder nonsense.) There were turning back boarders from the lift chair.
Also, having the lift chair to myself so often, I was able to attach my rear foot binding (strap-type, not step-in), but at the top, a lift worker said I was not allowed to do that, and that my rear foot must be free of its binding on the trip up the hill. I've never encountered that one before. I'm not complaining; if those are the rules, OK.
I was expecting to see evidence of the 8 inches of snow their web page reported but it's either melted, been compressed, or they lied. Everywhere I look offtrail, I see 2 inches on the ground.
The beginner slopes were basically ice. The expert slopes had a good inch of fluff on top of a hard sheet of ice. Maybe it's better in the daytime when the temperatures allow the ice to soften but I was there at night when the temps were well below freezing.
They began blowing snow about closing time so this should help. However temps are going back above freezing during the day today so I can expect the same thing again this evening.
They had lots of lift problems. The J-bar was down for awhile which put a big crush on the front lift to the summit. The lift pairs on both the front and the back had trouble staying in service - they rarely had both running.
I spent the evening working on the mogul park and it was frustrating because the park is so short and then I would have to wait on a big line to get back up. I just realized that only one of the lifts even stops at the midway so with the J-bar out, all the boarders were doing the same thing and we had massive lines on lift 3 and no lines on lift 2. But mob mentality was in effect and even people going to the top insisted on joining our line. Liberty could really use some help in getting the most out of their lifts. (Or maybe we're just too stupid.) Lots of young boarders seem to insist going up in a chair by themselves, even when they are with their buds.
Once, a lift attendant was actively pairing up singles to fill all the seats. That really helped. I wish they would do that more. More often, there are a bunch of attendents just looking bored. Last week, there were 10 attendents at the bottom of the backside lifts just standing around cracking jokes and having a good time but otherwise doing nothing helpful.
First, I thought conditions were lousy! Their web site says "great". Not so...very hard packed w/ a dusting of frozen granular on top, icy spots. At least that's the good thing about the DCski web page & these forums...you can find the truth about these places, 'cause you ain't gonna get it from them!
Second, the comment about the lift operators is right on. I saw plenty of extras standing around, while they could have been pairing singles, etc. Also, more disturbing, on the backside lift, they weren't keeping the "stop & load" marker line clear of snow. People were trying to figure out where to stop & get ready to hop on the chair. The folks working there weren't too helpful.
As for the leash thing, I've been skied before I boarded, & have been boarding now for 5 years...and have NEVER seen a runaway snowboard! I agree they have bigger things to worry about than that!
Finally, my 2 cents worth on Liberty vs. Whitetail. The terrain at Lib is more interesting, but Whitetail has the better cruising/runout slopes. WT also seems to be run more professionally. I'll go back to Lib, but I'll go by what people say here about conditions. I'd like to go when they actually do have "great" conditions.
WT inherited those weird rules from the Roundtop/Liberty folks who have no clue about snowboarding. You are probably going to see a departure from customer service/friendliness too since the lifties at RT/Lib care more about the BS rules than courtesy.
<<
I'm absolutely in favor of that requirement. I've never seen a board take off down the hill by itself, but I certainly wouldn't want to get slammed in the head by one. A helmet wouldn't do much good. I am a boarder, and I am trying skiing too.
Of the complaints related to conditions in this thread, it sounds like most of the trips were in the evening/night. Unfortunately, in the Mid-Atlantic, regardless of where you go it's not uncommon to get less-than-ideal conditions at night. As soon as the sun goes down, things can start to get icy. Especially recently, when it's been getting well above freezing during the day, and then dropping below freezing at night - the typical Mid-Atlantic freeze-thaw cycle.
A few years ago, I did most of my skiing at night, and it was almost always icy. Then I started going during the day, and the difference was remarkable. The sun softens things up nicely, and of course you get the benefits of overnight grooming early in the day (and any nighttime snowmaking.) Midweek during the day is the ideal time to go - you'll find the best conditions and no crowds. Unfortunately, that's not the most convenient time for all of us to go.
I believe Liberty (and most of the resorts around here) do indeed have excellent daytime conditions right now. But you should expect the quality to diminish as the evening wears on, unless it's stayed consistently cold throughout the day.
- Scott
You suggested coming up on the weekend mornings. Are you saying that because the weekend evenings are a mob scene? I always figured the weekend days would be more mobbed than the evenings. What are the weekends really like? Mobbed all day or just in the evenings?
I figure Liberty must be using a rubber ruler to measure the snow depth.
I have a rule of thumb I use to judge grooming quality. I was at Liberty from 2:30 to closing the last time I was there. I found that after about two or three runs, the icy ridges on the slopes had scraped all the wax off the base of my board. Two days ago, I was also at WT from 2:30 until closing. I checked the bases on my skis after several runs, and the wax was still fine. I attribute this to better grooming.
I thought WT was about as good as you could expect, and I anticipate that I'll drive just a little farther and pay just a little more to go there again, rather than Liberty.
I know we aren't in Colorado, but WT strikes me as being better maintained.
Early, btw, is showing up at 8:00am when they open - not 10:00am when the lines for lift tickets are long. At Liberty, once you get out there, head for the backside. Crowds don't hit over there til much later in the afternoon. This strategy works for weekends as well as weekdays.
As for new snow - heck, 8 FEET would get scrapped off fast given the number of people that head out. Again, go in the morning and the groomers would have pushed all the scraped off snow back to the slopes. Or ski the edges of the trail. Strata top to bottom was a dream this past weekend if you stayed to the right of the slope (going down). Powder powder powder - all from skiers who pushed the stuff off the middle to the sides.
As for grooming, Liberty grooms at night right after the area closes and in the morning right before opening.
As for liftees - if you seem them lolligagging around and not marshalling lines, monitoring the lifts or otherwise doing their jobs - complain to management. They often don't know about this stuff until someone tells them. I've personally seen both the general manager and risk manager have a "talk" with liftees who aren't doing their jobs. If you don't want to take the time to complain directly to management - tell the ski patrol. Management can be raised on their radios or by telephone.
Just some thoughts.
Jim
BTW, today, WT refers to primary condition and secondary condition. What does that mean?
Air
Nonetheless, Liberty's artificial snow is hanging in there. Most of the trails were open and had adequate coverage. There was about 2 inches of, uh, slush in most places.
I've never skied in slush before but it's as you might expect - really heavy wet snow. Oddly, one person told me that they perceived it as "faster" while another person insisted it was "slower". To me, it merely felt as if it took more effort to maneuver and it certainly was grittier and not as smooth and pleasant as the real thing.
But hey, 2 inches of crud is better than 0 inches of crud. And we all agreed that it was better than ice. At 10pm, it started to get a little icy but even then it wasn't too substantial.
There was no snowmaking going on. If this warm weather keeps up, the mountain's going to be totally unskiable very soon.
Anyway, conditions were very bad. By 6pm, icemaking was in full progress and the 2 inches of slush turned to 2 inches of gravelly ice with occasional piles of more powder-like ice.
I was really surprised by the temperature drop. When I left work, they were reporting temps in the 40s but by the time I got there, it was below freezing, thus the ice. What I don't understand is why they weren't making new snow. I hate to think that they've given up for the season already.
Finsout - thanks for the insight on why they choose to make or not make snow. One of the employees also told me that the dates matter - the ski resorts all count on the upcoming weekend ("President day weekend") to be well-attended (read: lucrative) so they're going to be making snow no matter how iffy the conditions are.
As for snowmaking - yes, I would expect that Liberty is going to make snow at every opportunity. One more factor that plays into the snowmaking equation - power. Apparently, Liberty purchases power in chunks. During the winter months, when demand for electricity is lower (i.e., no competition from power gobbling a/c units), power for snowmaking is more economical so its purchased in a package deal. Both before and after that time, the price of power is significantly higher. So don't expect to see much snowmaking past February or before December. Even if you do, keep in mind that its costing the area big bucks for the extra power. As for overall power consumption, keep in mind that pumping thousands of gallons of water from the bottom to the top, cooling the water and combining it with high pressure air takes an enormous amount of energy.
As said before, the snow fall does vary from resort to resort. Remember the big storm we were supposed to get in February? Well that storm dropped over a foot of snow on Philly, but ten miles west, they didn't get anything. All storms are different and their track and ferocity depend on a lot of different variables. These can change dramatically and rapidly. So, if you have questions about snow fall, check your local weather, or call the resort.
As far as the webcams. They are basically like normal cameras. They have an iris. Point a normal camera into the sun a couple of times, then check your film quality.
Where I am headed is, the iris on a camera becomes distorted and discolored after constant exposure to very bright lights and harsh weather conditions. This is what causes the pictures to look so grey and dreary. I am sure you can tell the difference between the shots on the webpage.
If they are all grey, odds are it is grey outside.

