Best ski goggles to fit over regular glasses.
11 posts
7 users
8k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 10, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
For a little extra $, buy prescription goggles. That's what I use and they don't fog. I ordered mine from a place in Wisconsin.

But this outfit looks ok:

http://www.bdel.com/gear/backcountry/goggles.php

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 12-10-2003).]

bawalker
December 10, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for that info. It really depends on the financial state for me. If possible I'd get prescription goggles but if they were as much as my sunglasses ($400) then I'd go with Oakley L series or some other brand.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 10, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I paid $125 for a pair of prescription Smith goggles. The goggles in that link I sent you go for $160. If you surf around the net, you might be able to find a cheaper solution. Good luck.
Jim
December 10, 2003
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
For goggles that fit over glasses, one really good option are the Smith brand line. They have a google line with a built in mini-electric fan with on/off switch to defog glasses. There are also versions without the fan, but sized to fit over prescription eyeglasses.

Two other alternatives you may consider are wrap around shades with prescription inserts available. Bolle, Oakley and several of the other major eyewear manufacturers have them. You unhook the prescription lens adapter piece (usually part of the nose piece) to your local optician and have them fill the prescription. The great part is you can snap in different color shields to suit conditions. The final option is to use wrap around style prescription sunglasses. Lots of styles are available that provide wrap around protection.

As a diehard skier that has glasses, I've used all the options above and found a combination of the shields and prescription sunglasses to be the next best thing to contacts (which, IMHO, are the best way to go - but only if you can use contacts).

Good luck.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have found that the SMITH line of "over the lenses" googles are the best around, whether with the fan or not.

You can get prescriptions googles for well under $200, check the ads in the ski magazines.

Hope this helps!

bawalker
December 11, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
This year I am in definate need of getting ski/snowboard goggles to wear. Last year I got some windburn around my eyes because I have regular glasses (can't wear contacts) and most all the goggles can't fit over them.

I have heard about the Oakley L series which fit over regular glasses. Are there any other brands/models that would fit over my regular small lense glasses?

Brad

Roy
December 11, 2003
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
"Smith brand line. They have a google line with a built in mini-electric fan with on/off switch to defog glasses. "

I don't wear glasses but I did buy a pair of these goggles last year. They are the Smith Turbo CAM. The goggles hardly ever fog because the fan is running constantly. And you do not hear or feel the fan. If you wipe out or have some other situtation that causes a fog, you just crank up the fan until the fog goes away then turn it down. Also this is very easy to do with gloves on.

I spent rought $280 for these goggles (impulse buy and punch drunk with anticipation of skiing Whistler last year). However, it's the best money I've ever spent for a single piece of ski equipment. Ski Chalet had them for $130 at the August sale.

bawalker
December 12, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for all of the information. Preferably prescription goggles are the way to go, but being on a tight budget this year I would preferably stick with the less expensive solution. I can live with goggles that fit over my glasses and fog up a tiny bit vs getting wind burn around my eyes again.
(Anonymous)
January 5, 2004
I love my Bole' goggles. Not sure what model they are, but they are pink, have the notches in the foam for glasses, have plenty of vents and never fog. The ones I have are pink and at ski chalet for $35 and they have photochromatic ones that are orange for $64 also.
canaanman
January 7, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Right now I'm wearing Spy's, but they're made larger to fit helmets and such.

Really, you've got to try them all on.

(Anonymous)
January 9, 2004
The only real advice for glasses wearers is to try the goggles on. Go to a shop that has a selection, and try them. You don't have to buy. LAst year I bought a pair that was "supposed to" fit over glasses and they did not fit well, and as it happened I came across a mid season sale with Carrera's on sale for $20. (goggles usually never go on sale)
I don't like to pay more than $40 for goggles because the first tree I hit will smash an expensive pair.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.