Ski exercises
10 posts
7 users
3k+ views
(Anonymous)
December 20, 2003
I'm a gym rat and a powder pig.

Anybody have suggestions for exercises (or better yet a book of them) that work ski muscles?

I hate wasting days at the mountain with sore/dead legs -- especially early in the season.

I'm hoping to get a jump-start on conditioning. (a little late for the early start this season -- but strengthening always good)

Squats on the balance board and lunges are about the only exercises (I know so far) that seem to hit the right muscles.

mm

Jim
December 20, 2003
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
You may want to pick up the current edition of Skiing magazine. They have some exercises using some of the newer concepts in fitness but geared towards skiers. For example, there is information about using a ball to help with flexibility and balance, as well as traditional strengthening and fitness.
JohnL
December 20, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Best single training activity for skiing (besides skiing itself) is rollerblading (or ice skating). Aggressive-type skating is the best (street, simulated skiing on hills, roller hockey, vert ramp, etc.). You get it all: cardio, balance, strength training of ski-related muscles (really stresses the hip/lateral muscles and foot/lower-leg muscles & tendons), vision, etc.

IMHO, if you want to improve your skiing, spend less time in the gym and more on sports which require a lot of dynamic balance.

Do a web search on Paul Chek for some innovative indoor exercises.

MangyMarmot
December 21, 2003
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Thanks for the advice. (couldn't log in on my username before)

RE: roller blading, any suggestions on good spots in the District? My skating skills lag -- so streets with traffic or really uneven or downhill pavement freak me out.

I've gone on Beach Road a couple times in summer, but haven't figured other spots.

Went ice skating on the Mall a couple weeks ago. It was fun -- felt the burn in the calves.

Can't wait to hit the slopes... WhiteTail (if weather permits) before New Years.

WOO WOO WOO

JohnL
December 21, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
http://www.skatedc.org/ is the best resource for local in-line skating.

It's pretty flat around Hain's Point/Ohio Drive. Not too much traffic and you can park your car down there. You might find a curb or two to skate off. For skiing, try more interval training and turning instead of long slow distance skating.

For roller hockey, there is a pick-up game every Saturday in Rock Creek Park @ 1 PM. Beginners are always welcome. I used to play there regularly - good bunch of people. The games are played on a parking lot off of Beach Drive. First parking lot on the right about 0.5 miles north of Military Rd. You can drive to the parking lot - it's in a section which is not closed on weekends.

Ask for Blake.

Crush
December 21, 2003
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
No Doubt! Rollerblading! THe more you do the better you will feel.... try to make carvig-ski like turns, smooth with both feet turning, shins parallel, outside leg long inside leg short, stand up on inside leg to initiate new turn, drop in hip (move your ass to the inside of the new turn). Just like carving on skis. Hook up with the Washington Area Rollerbladers (WAR) just like the message below says ... they are awesome I use to skate with them every Sunday. Also learn how to run stairs. Rollerblading stairs is totally great for fore-aft balance, is fun as hell, and impresses women. Learn sum basic jumping too. Do the distance skates and your legs will be strong. 'Nuff said!
MangyMarmot
December 22, 2003
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Roller-blading stairs????

Explain! Going up or down? Do you do in a diagonal? Can't seem to picture anything other than an emergency room visit.

Bummer Wednesday forecast- high temps and rain. Can't skate at Mall (cuz outdoors) and likely crummy conditions at nearby slopes.

Anybody ice skate indoors in or near district?

mm

jimmy
December 22, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
If skating isn't your thing, take a look at this program; I used it b/4 season started and my legs felt mid season on the first day out. http://www.skilouise.com/activities/fitness.asp
JohnL
December 22, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
You skate down the stairs; backwards is much easier than forwards. The wider the step, the easier it is. The pros can do incredibly narrow steps. Your skate brake will get in the way, so it needs to be taken off. Needless to say, don't try the "Exorcist" stairs the first day out!

Local ice skating rinks:
NOVA:
Mt. Vernon (Alexandria), Fairfax, Skatequest of Reston.
MD:
Well's (College Park), Wheaton (Silver Spring), Cabin John (North Bethesda), Arc Rockville.

All have open skate periods for the general public.

Roy
December 24, 2003
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I live in Alexandria and have found that rollerblading the trails all over DC are good. You get flat and hilly spots, just enough to give you a workout going up the mountain and speed for "turns" going down the mountain. Plus, if you get the right spots, it is actually scenic.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?