Rain to End Jan thaw...winter returns!
11 posts
7 users
3k+ views
fishnski
January 23, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
What is this..Winter Part 3?..We have a few Parts every winter here in the MA & it looks like we will be heading back for a decent run after we get this rain out of the way Sun. Snow for the High country follows for a few days & there is even a chance for some heavier stuff towards the end of the week. Long range models have the East coast back in the freezer for Feb with of course the usual 1 or 2 day warmup between fronts...THINK SNOW!!
jonjon1
January 23, 2010
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Looks like today's warmth and tomorrow's warmth and rain will probably kill most, if not all, of our remaining snowpack. Its been a nice run on the natural stuff out here, but even great winters have their thaws. And it makes a quick comeback on Monday afternoon into Wednesday. Hopefully much more to come near the end of the week and on through the month of February.

Hell yeah I'm thinking snow!
fishnski
January 23, 2010
3,530 posts
Rain will kill everything down low probably but the Whitegrass site still shows the 4000' ski stake with an 18 inch base so The Nat Nordic might retain a snow cover.
Just noticed the NWS Snowshoe F-cast just added snow chances from thur nite thru sat..they showed 0 chances for that period up till now...They must have read this post cool crazy
langleyskier
January 24, 2010
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Fcast is good after monday evening! Hopefully this rain will be quick and take with it as little base as possible. Fact it is coming on a sunday night should also help resorts recover sufficiently to have plenty of base for next weekend!
KeithT
January 24, 2010
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
I was up at CV this weekend and snow was holding strong when we left at noon today. I would say more like 3,500ft was the sweet spot especially in the woods. Even XC skied a little around the lodge while my daughter skated today--but is was pouring by the time we reached the power plant.

L-ski, interested on your thoughts on weather for Elk this weekend, I'll be up that way and have a sat or sun option.
fishnski
January 25, 2010
3,530 posts
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif
Doesn't The NAO tell the Story?..Way Neg when we had cold & Snow..When it headed more Pos we warmed up...Lets hope it stays Neg!!..F-cast for it to do so looks good...
fishnski
January 25, 2010
3,530 posts
I was amazed to see how much Snow cover is still left over this Morn up at Canaan even after temps in the upper 40's with all that rain!...Skiers will be Knee deep again by next weekend & no one will remember.."The Jan Thaw"!
The storm for late this week after a good batch of the backside snows for the next couple of days seems to be concentrated south of the Mason/Dixon with Snowshoe in the Bullseye..
TGV
January 25, 2010
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
8h02
It finally stopped raining.
Gone skiing!
snowglobe
January 25, 2010
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts
What do you weather expert guys think about the condition at the shoe on the weekend of February 5-6-7? I know that it will get colder during the week but will it stay cold?
Abe
January 25, 2010
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Great blog post about the weekend storm potential from Chris Bailey of WSAZ:
http://www.wsaz.com/blogs/chrisbaileysblog/82576617.html

Hmm... could we really get 20" from the weekend storm???
fishnski
January 25, 2010
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: snowglobe
What do you weather expert guys think about the condition at the shoe on the weekend of February 5-6-7? I know that it will get colder during the week but will it stay cold?

I'm Heading to WV for the Same Dates & the Model runs have been Consistent for the Cooler weather to hang out thru the period with a storm that keeps poping up but in a different positions each run...Don't see signs for any warmer air till the 9th or 10th..We will see.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?