Massanutten Jan. 9-10
6 posts
3 users
2k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2010
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Skiing at Mnut this weekend. Say hello if you are around. Marz Jr. is all in pink, with black helmet that has a SkiSE sticker and one from Alta. My white helmet has a SkiSE sticker. I'm skiing on K2 One Luvs (black and gold).
fishnski
January 6, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I forgot to get back with you on those Temps..You thought the upper 20's I'm thinking low 20's with a wind chill(single digits)Even colder at the nearly 3000' summit..Think Sunshine!!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2010
3,246 posts
Having a grand time at Massanutten this weekend. Pretty neat to have over 40 inches of snow everywhere and temps in the 20's. Makes for great conditions, especially since Mnut is NOT blowing any snow when the lifts are open. They start snowmaking right at 10pm and keep it up until just before 9am opening time. We're staying in a condo right next to the slopes, so I can see and hear the fans when they are on.

The place was pretty empty all day. No waiting more than a couple minutes on any lift, including the two beginner lifts at the bottom of the mountain, Lifts 3 & 4. Partially the cold, but also a function of being the first weekend after the end of year vacation days.

With the cold temps all week, there is no ice to be found. A few spots of hard pack where the snow blows off, but mostly packed powder with corduroy in a lot of places first thing in the morning The top of Showtime was slick. ParaDice was very nice all day. All powder surface and no people made it easy to fly down without thinking. More interesting contours since so much snowmaking has happened in the last few weeks. DJ was being used for Mnut ski team training in the morning. Will be closed again Sun morning for a race.

Mnut ski team practicing on DJ (about 60 kids in the program)

Lift 6, with Southern Comfort in the distance

Blowing on Geronimo 7:30am
public paved parking lots in front of the flag pole, which is a cell tower
view from Summit #129 of stairs onto Geronimo

Southern Comfort and Lift 5 empty 10:00am

Showtime (blue run off Lift 5) empty 2:00pm, same the rest of the day

snow at lodge can be measured in feet, not inches
usually easy to put skis on either side of this fence

Done
tskski
January 10, 2010
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Great pics marz! Thanks. Going to try and make a few runs tomorrow evening. Will you still be on the mountain? How's the wind?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2010
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: tskski
Great pics marz! Thanks. Going to try and make a few runs tomorrow evening. Will you still be on the mountain? How's the wind?

There was no wind to deal with today. Had a great time with all the packed powder on ParaDice and Showtime. Headed home in the afternoon. Will be back on Friday.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2010
3,246 posts
Even better conditions on Sunday! Packed powder pretty much all over. Lapped ParaDice all morning. DJ was closed for a junior race.

Got up in time to see grooming on Geronimo. Added snow to several runs all night. The guns went off around 8:30am except for the CMB terrain park. A little extra snow for a short time on Lower Showtime but over the head not in the face.

Place was even emptier than Sat. Even with the racers and their families, never a wait on Lift 6. They didn't even bother setting out line markers for any lifts today. The public parking lots never got to 50% full.

Marz Jr. went tubing in the morning with the friend of mine who came along. After lunch, she did some runs on ParaDice and Showtime in the afternoon since conditions were so good. She's been to Mnut and elsewhere enough to appreciate the difference. With the warm up coming, it won't be the same next weekend.

Prep around 7:30am on Geronimo
Lady in blue is Mnut Auxilary

A GS race for juniors, mainly from Mnut, Bryce, Wintergreen
Looked like ages 6-14
Youngest did the run in about 2 minutes, fastest time I heard was about 45 sec

Mountain Grill is run by parents of Mnut team to raise money
open on some weekends only, outdoor

Done

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?