TR Massanutten MLK weekend plus 1
10 posts
4 users
1k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts
Had a ball at Massanutten over MLK weekend. Got a bonus day on Tue when Raleigh was buried in snow and it was obvious driving home wasn't a good idea, especially since school was certain to be closed on Wed. That was glorious!

Great conditions every morning with fresh snow and few slick spots. No waiting before 11am and rarely waited more than 5 min on any lift line since we took long lunch breaks. With a multiday lifties, we could ski as late as the girls would last in the late afternoon.

It's wonderful to have all trails open. Especially ParaDice. Dixie Dare isn't really too complicated yet but getting bumpy as they add snow every night. Some snowmaking during the day on Tue too.

Hopefully the link to the photo album works. Having trouble pasting the image links.

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq253/marzlook/Mnut%20MLK%20Jan09/
David
January 22, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2009
3,245 posts
Great day to ski on Jan. 20. Fresh snow and corduroy and almost no one around. Pretty cold all day, 15 to start and a high of about 25. Took a break to warm up and watch the inauguration at lunch time.

Diamond Jim left, ParaDice right
[
[

Looking down from Southern Comfort (long green) at start of Lift 5 (mostly blue runs)

Blowing snow on Dixie Dare to build bumps, added a little to lower Rebel Yell

Done
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2009
3,245 posts
Terrain park was all set up (between tubing and Geronimo). Didn't see many people on it. Guess they all went farther west for the weekend. The easier park was pretty busy though.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2009
3,245 posts
Examples of how relatively uncrowded things were over the holiday weekend. I've had similar experiences in the last couple years. Of course, it was tougher last winter when there were fewer trails open.

No long wait for the beginner lift for Southern Comfort on Sat afternoon by 3:30, only using 2 or 4 lines

MLK Day mid-morning not crowded on Southern Comfort

Geronimo lift at lunch time Jan. 19, main lodge on the right overlooking ski school (magic carpet on the right of the kids)

Lift 5 at lunch time Jan. 19 - to blue runs Rebel Yell, Mass Transit, Pacesetter
Abe
January 22, 2009
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen corduroy like that at the nut!
tskski
January 22, 2009
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Great pictures. Surprised at the small crowds. I've gone to Mass. on MLK weekend and left because of the crowds.(Live 30 miles away} Plan to ski there this Sunday. The snow looks great.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2009
3,245 posts
Originally Posted By: Abe

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen corduroy like that at the nut!

The top of ParaDice was a little frozen before 10am, but it was wonderful after that. Still quite good until 4pm or so.

There was a big mound of snow at the top on Sat. They spread it around by Sun morning.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2009
3,245 posts
Originally Posted By: tskski
Great pictures. Surprised at the small crowds. I've gone to Mass. on MLK weekend and left because of the crowds.(Live 30 miles away} Plan to ski there this Sunday. The snow looks great.

Thanks.

I think the frigid weather on Sat kept the beginners from skiing as much. As long as we stayed on Lift 5 and 6, it was fine all weekend. Helped a lot that Yee Ha was open so that it was possible to avoid riding the Southern Comfort lift and cross over to Lift 6 for Diamond Jim and ParaDice.

I wonder if the flex ticket is helping to keep lift lines from building up in the late afternoon. In the past 3:30-4:30 could be bad since people were trying to get in last runs. But now late risers who start at 10:00 or 11:00 can simply keep skiing until their 8 hours are up.
Abe
January 23, 2009
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
I checked out Massanutten last night for a few hours and was surprised with how icy Paradice was. Unfortunately Diamond Jim was closed for racing. Rebel Yell was still fantastic though with a lot of nice loose snow on top. It'll be interesting to see what happens if we really do hit 59 today like they are forecasting, yikes!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.