Is "Cloudy, Windy and Colder" Affecting You?
15 posts
10 users
2k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2010
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Sheesh! I was in Massachusetts this past week, hoping for an evening and the next full day of skiing. My son and I did some pleasant afternoon runs at Ski Bousquet (Pittsfield, MA) on 12/28 and were all set for the next day at Killington VT. We woke up at 4:30 am on 12/29 so we could reach Killington when they dropped the ropes at 8:00 am. (We're hardcore day-trippers.) Since it had been snowing when we went to bed, I glanced out the window to see how much snow I'd have to brush off the van. None. The wind was blowing like mad out there, with a temperature of about 3 degrees F. Went shopping that day.

Got back to VA a couple of days ago but had things to take care of through New Year's (incl. watching Ohio State in the Rose Bowl!).

So I assume everybody's looked at the forecast? Am I getting to be such an old poop that skiing in 18 degrees and sustained 20 mph winds on slopes I assume are windblown hardpack doesn't sound like all that much fun?

What are things really like out there?

Woody
camp
January 2, 2010
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
Originally Posted By: bousquet19
....Am I getting to be such an old poop that skiing in 18 degrees and sustained 20 mph winds...
Well, you asked... I'd have to say, yes, you might be an old poop if you chose shopping and football over fresh snow in VT. 20 mph winds aren't that much, and it doesn't blow in the trees.

just sayin'...
tskski
January 2, 2010
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
I must be an old poop too cause the wind and low temps make me think twice about skiing now. It's windy and cold here in the Shen. Valley today. Going to 7-Springs tomorrow and Monday and then maybe to Snowshoe Tuesday. Hope the wind has stopped blowing. I don't mind the low temps but the added wind makes a difference.
fishnski
January 2, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Its about 2 degrees with a sustained wind of about 15 to 20 MPH up at the top of TL with Light to Occ Mod snow(With Squalls)...I would be an old poop & opt out for those Conditions..I'm Spoiled!...I saw Whiteout Conditions the other day at the top of Gore Mtn,NY but the temps were only in the upper 20's so as I was Questioning whether or not the price of lift tickets were worth it, I looked over at my Better Half & she was Laughing it up & saying..Take a picture!!...Dress Warm!!!!
Bumps
January 2, 2010
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
ya but Gore has a gandola. grin laugh
camp
January 2, 2010
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
Well, now I have to say I might've been wrong and agree with some of you. As I typed that this AM, I was trying to figure out where to go today, and whether solo, w/ kid, and/or w/ wife too. I say something about Blue Knob sounding good, and she said "let's all go". Best thing to do when you hear that is get the car ready.

At the blistering summit warehouse complex, kid is crying and skating back towards the white concrete palace screaming how much he hates this cold. I try desperately to get us off the white knob and moving slowly downhill, hopefully into brief shelter.

He ended up having fun by the bottom of the run. We took a few runs together, and they hit the lodge and fire. I did a couple more runs and got the feel of the good stuff. It was good, not close to perfect, tough, archetype Blue Knob. Probably not high on the ski:cost ratio, but a happy family outing.
SCWVA
January 2, 2010
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
The family went to CVR today and we had a blast. No crowds and great snow. The wind wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, I think the main lift seemed fairly sheltered from the wind. The vehicle said +6F when we got there and it said +6F when we left.

It didn't matter how cold it was, the pow was sweet, and the woods in the Valley are full on. Better get it while you can.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2010
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Blue Knob scheduled a hold on the upper mountain chairs from noon-2pm today (Sunday Jan. 3) because of expected winds.

Liberty has a bus shuttle available to transport skiers and snowboarders to the Backside lifts (more sheltered) in case their Alpine Quad goes on wind hold today.

Gettin' brisk out there!
EarlyMan
January 3, 2010
Member since 09/12/2009 🔗
2 posts
X-mas week we were at Craftsbury Common Touring Center in northern Vermont to avoid the alpine holiday season mayhem. 0 F and windy is bearable if you are skiing through forest and doing a lot of climbing. We hit Whitetail on New Years Day--not packed and beautiful downhill skiing weather. Hopefully it dumps later this week so skinny skis will be a mid-Atlantic option next weekend.
JohnL
January 3, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Its about 2 degrees with a sustained wind of about 15 to 20 MPH up at the top of TL with Light to Occ Mod snow(With Squalls)...I would be an old poop & opt out for those Conditions..I'm Spoiled!...I saw Whiteout Conditions the other day at the top of Gore Mtn,NY but the temps were only in the upper 20's so as I was Questioning whether or not the price of lift tickets were worth it, I looked over at my Better Half & she was Laughing it up & saying..Take a picture!!...Dress Warm!!!!

Saturday at T-Line was a bit challenging, Sunday was brutal. Slow lifts do suck in conditions like that, plus snowmaking compounds the misery.

6 runs total on Sunday, and bugged out by 1:30. Goggles and face mask were icing up, not worth the trouble to continue. Season pass helps in days like that. Too cold and stiff to battle the tougher stuff in the trees on Sunday.

In all seriousness, you ain't an old fart to worry about frostbite. I'd say about half a dozen folks (myself included) had some very close calls this past weekend. I'll find out how bad when I shave tomorrow.

Four runs then a break on Saturday, two runs then a break on Sunday. Sunday was a face mask day. Not as windy as Saturday, but colder, and body/face was stressed from the day before.
JohnL
January 3, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Need to add to my previous post, the conditions were worth it. General rule of thumb when it's cold, windy and low viz: head for the trees. Not a reliable general rule of thumb for the Mid-Atlantic, but it was on Saturday.

Some firm spots on the trails (groomed and ungroomed), mostly due to the NYE rain, but still plenty of Packed Pow to be found.

Take precautions for frostbite, but go out an enjoy it. Be an old fart during the summer... As the Fins (Swedes? Norwegians?) say, there is no such thing as cold weather, there is only bad clothes.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2010
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Went to Beech Mountain yesterday with friends. 8 degrees when we arrived around 10am and 4 degrees when we left at 5:30. Pretty sunset though. Blowing winds all day. But the adults all skied, with appropriate clothing, and had a good time. 4 inches new snow overnight. Not particularly crowded because of the cold and ice from the mid-week warm spelll. The bonus was that Oz was open in the afternoon. Lots of powder to be found there.

Left 9yo Marz Jr. at home. The two 14yo girls (boarders) in the group spent half the day in the lodge.
GRK
January 3, 2010
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
We were at Wintergreen today. Very very cold. We were there from around 1-6. Junior Riding Partner had no issues. Called it a day when the sun went down. She seems to stay warmer riding than skiing. Makes sense...I can just ski off the lift but riders have to sit and redo bindings, get up, down, hop more etc.

They had a water issue that they posted on the web site but it was not that big of a deal. Just asked guests to help them manage water usage. No shortage of water for snow making though!
fishnski
January 4, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I want to go skiing at Sugar,NC this weekend but it looks like Sat the high will be 5 above ..WITH WIND mad...Wunder what the skiing in GA will be like?...Follow the geese laugh

Calling for snow all the way down here in the Cape Fear region of the Carolinas thur nite..time to find an overpass..Temps should be Perfect!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 4, 2010
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
I want to go skiing at Sugar,NC this weekend but it looks like Sat the high will be 5 above ..WITH WIND mad...Wunder what the skiing in GA will be like?...Follow the geese laugh

Gee, makes Mnut sound warm with predictions of high 20's. Hopefully without much wind. We're headed that way this weekend.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?