Massanutten Ski Resort Opens for 37th Season
16 posts
9 users
3k+ views
ITM
December 11, 2009
Member since 10/16/2009 🔗
7 posts
Harrisonburg, Virginia - Massanutten opened today for it's 37th season of operation. The recent cold temperatures have allowed for excellent snowmaking. A low of 14 degrees allowed the resort to pump 4,200 gallons of water per minute and convert it to snow for skiing , snowboarding and tubing.

The resort is currently open 9am-4:30pm with Geronimo, Southern Comfort, Nutten-To-It, Lower Showtime and Diamond Jim open. We will begin night skiing Friday, December 18th.
KeithT
December 11, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Trail name changes also this year???
ITM
December 11, 2009
Member since 10/16/2009 🔗
7 posts
There were a couple of name changes. Dixie Dare and Rebel Yell that are serviced by lift 5 became MAKattack and Showtime, respectively.
Lift # 3 was replaced with a quad and moved from skier's right to skier's left and up hill just slightly which has allowed us to replace the cross trail (no more pushing!!) with a new green connector named Nutten-To-It.
langleyskier
December 11, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Originally Posted By: ITM
Dixie Dare and Rebel Yell

Wonder why these names were changed??? haha
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
fishnski
December 11, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Dam Yankees!!! We are PC'd to death in this country..Whats next..The Washington Native American's?
KeithT
December 11, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Thanks Fish, for sayin what I was afraid to say. What's next Bryce's "spirit" related trails names because they promote underage drinking???---Shawnee's got some suspect ones as well. Perhaps we should start a new thread about the most un-pc trail names. No more "white lightenings" out there or anything potentially relating to sex, drugs or gambling.
Abe
December 11, 2009
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
I see Massanutten is already making snow on Upper Rebel Yell... er... I mean Upper Showtime. I'll be up there for first tracks tomorrow morning wink
jb714
December 12, 2009
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:
We are PC'd to death in this country..

Many of Hidden Valley's trail names are based on old car names....which of course will offend Al Gore's GW crowd (although old Al has lost a little of his sheen recently).

For what it's worth I will always refer to those trails as Dixie Dare and Rebel Yell.
Abe
December 14, 2009
366 posts
I had a great day up at Massanutten this Saturday... the snow was in good shape with just a few patches of ice here and there. It was definitely a nice treat to have Diamond Jim open on their first day!

The new quad lift they put in is certainly interesting - they have a conveyor belt that you ski onto, and then the chair picks you off that while you're already moving forward. I guess it must be a little more beginner friendly.

Here's a pic I snapped from the top - nice view of the valley!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 14, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Yippee! Thanks for the report.

Hope DJ stays open. We're headed up to Mnut for the week before Christmas. Marz Jr. has promised to ski more black runs this season.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2009
3,246 posts
Looks like snow is going down on ParaDice and Upper Showtime.

Any one going to ski at Mnut on Sunday?
Abe
December 16, 2009
366 posts
I'll probably be there on Sunday... I'm hoping they have Paradice open by then too - which they might consider the cold overnight lows we're looking at the rest of the week.

Shoot - it may even be a powder day with the potential storm wink
wgo
December 16, 2009
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I was at Massanutten this afternoon - good first day of the season for me. It was the first time I skied wearing a helmet (gotta set a good example for my 4-year old, who I will be trying to get on skis this season.)

The very upper part of Paradice looked pretty well covered, but the very lower part still just had a light dusting of man-made on the grass. Still, given the weather forecast I would think there is a chance it could be open this weekend.
Abe
December 17, 2009
366 posts
Per the Massanutten website - Paradice will open Saturday or Sunday! Looks like they just opened Upper Showtime today too.
SkiBumMSP
December 19, 2009
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Originally Posted By: marzNC
Looks like snow is going down on ParaDice and Upper Showtime.

Any one going to ski at Mnut on Sunday?

If I can get there! I was supposed to be there this weekend, but due to the heavy snow, I was not able to make it. We shall see! I've yet to get any turns in! cry
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2009
3,246 posts
We're here! A looong drive from Raleigh via Roanoke and I-81.

Mnut required 4WD to go up the mountain today. Not sure about Sun.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.