WISP
12 posts
6 users
3k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
December 3, 2009
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Anyone have any up to date info on Wisp? Looking to see if they are blowing and what progress has been made. website and phone number not updated.

Concerned as have plans for the anniversary weekend coming up.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 3, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Don't have latest update, but supposed to be below freezing every night now for foreseable future. I'd bet they'll have 70% or more of terrain open by Dec13. I hope to get there that day.
I've seen them do it before:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=953&mode=headlines
GGNagy
December 8, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
The Wisp website lists thursday, December 10th as the opening day.
So, who is planning on going to the Birthday celebration?
Sunday? Monday?
I am thinking Monday might be a good first snow day of the year.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Wisp runs are looking good on the webcams, although they haven't headed over to Main Street yet. I'm planning on being there for first-of-the-season skiing (and cake, of course) on Monday.

Woody
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 9, 2009
2,963 posts
I hope to get out there on Sunday. Let me know if anybody wants to rendezvous for some runs.
SCWVA
December 9, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
I hope to be there, besides this is what my six year old son said to me yesterday.

"We're going to WISP on Sunday and if the snow is good, we'll stay another day"
bawalker
December 9, 2009
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Looks like me going anywhere is out of the question at the moment. Clutch went out on the subie and it's sitting in the garage to get replaced. Me being a lovely $1000 cheaper, there goes some ski trips...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 12, 2009
2,963 posts
Waffling on Wisp. Low trail count and risk of soaker rain has caused me to bail out for tomorrow 12/13/09. cry
Too bad, breaks my streak of four straight years having a real good time at their December discount Birthday ski event.
GGNagy
December 13, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
looks like mostly front face stuff open. Hope someone went and reports back.
GGNagy
December 14, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Well, I have the day off so I am heading up. if anyone else wants to meet up, I'll be wearing yellow jacket, black pants, and white helmet. If I remember, I'll also put a red ribbon on a ski pole.
GGNagy
December 15, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Well, the skiing at Wisp was definately worth the 7 bucks. Unlike Sundays rain, the skies were only lightly overcast and not much wind. Wisp had 2 lifts (one of the double/triples and No 6) open, giving 4 routes down the mountain. Those included The Face, Squirrel Cage, Wisp Trail and Backbone Pass. There was some snow blown into the glades to skiers right of the face, but they looked sketchy.
The snow was v soft, but held up ok until about 2pm, when it was definately feeling swampy above The Face and near the bottom of Wisp Trail. The runout to squirrel cage was getting more and more of a brown tint as the day went on.
I only skied Backbone once, and it looked like Ridge Run and Big Dipper was covered enough to open. All of the other slopes under chair 6 were very bare. I did not see/hear what was going on over at Main Street, but I did see that they were working around Chair 1 so perhaps that is next. Laps on the front 2, with a few runs down Wisp thrown in, wore me out for first day, so as soon as it got crowded mid afternoon, I called it a day. I have skied on less terrain for more, so the Wisp Birthday celebration was a good deal and a good day.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 15, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
+1

I was there yesterday (Monday) and found conditions as you described. Looks like they're saving the routes serving Chair 7 for this coming weekend.

On the 4 routes, snow conditions were quite good, marred only by some soil on top of small stretches of snow on The Face and Squirrel Cage at the bottom. The top of Devil's Drop Glades (to skier's right of The Face) was very skiable, but the bottom is overgrown. It'll need to be either brushed out or skied through.

Looks like good snow on Main Street (Backside area) but nothing much on the other runs there. It'll be a while. North Camp will be next, along with the popular Boulder-Muskrat run.

Cake was gooey and super-sugary, which is fine by me if you plan to eat only one piece. (Hey Wisp, we really need an MC at 1pm to lead us in singing Happy Birthday, etc. Maybe you did that on Sunday, but Monday lacked the celebratory oomph. For $7 ticket I'm happy to celebrate Wisp's 54 years.) Good prices not only on tickets but also rentals, lessons and a spag-n-meatballs lunch.

Woody
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.