Excuses Excuses
9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 19, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,349 posts
I really did intend to get in some junkboard turns this weekend. Friday night I began to feel crummy, a cold coming on, severity unknown. Still I checked the maps and predictions and doppler radar. It all looked very confusing. Intense blue in the doppler but moving around hour by hour and covering only small areas. Canaan Valley didn't appear to be getting any and the temps on the NWS page, taken at airports hung at 39 - 43. Admittedly these were valley temps. The Dolly Sods webcam had about 100 ft. of visibility Fri. - Sun. Sat. AM I was still unsure about the cold but by evening it had eased off a lot. This often happens with a day of rest and extra sleep; I have a good immune system. All the blue on doppler was in PA and NY.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Rada...mp;animate=true (now clear of course but this is the link)
Blue Knob seemed like a good bet but with such a heavy wet snow and leaves mostly on the trees I could see getting marooned up there by tree falls on the road. Elk looked even better but it's 271 miles by mapquest and I've never been there. What would be their policy about climbing for turns when the lifts aren't running. I always leave without argument when asked. I also don't ask. Easier to apologize than to ask permission. This works fine at Timberline where people are friendly and think it's cool. WG actually did get some snow on Sun. but on warm ground.

To make a long story short, I wimped - bailed. Shame. Shame. Oh well, next time the ground will be colder.
fishnski
October 19, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I brought you up in a # of my F-cast posts saying that whitegrass Just might lure you up on Sun...I was thinking that you needed at least 4 inches..They got 3 so I guess you will get the next batch of Goodies when the Goodies get GOOD!..Think about all the rest of our excuses blush....Halloween snow?..Nov is looking to come in Cold...
fishnski
October 21, 2009
3,530 posts
Davis/Canaan very often get Snow right around Halloween....Could happen this year looking at the last couple of GFS runs..might get that 2nd Chance!..Cold air up north is building!
kwillg6
October 21, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,074 posts
I've notice that a lot of times it's dumping in the valley but nothing shows up on radar. Must be one of those weird things that happens in the highlands. Anybody got an answer to this?
fishnski
October 21, 2009
3,530 posts
I'm Dead at work so...Years ago I noticed that also.. Explains why I Skied in PA for years & never made it up to Canaan since I never saw any Snow up there. I learned that the radar Anomaly was due to the "DC Split"..there is the Pittburgh,PA Radar & the Charleston,wv radar..with canaan being in the middle & higher up in Elevation it gets left out of the picture...I call it "Stealth Snow"!!
langleyskier
October 21, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
I've notice that a lot of times it's dumping in the valley but nothing shows up on radar. Must be one of those weird things that happens in the highlands. Anybody got an answer to this?

Also due to the resolution of the radar. The snow is so so localized in the valley due to upslope that it can be snowing there while places all around it are partly cloudy. Radars (like fish said) are not too close so combining the poor resolution at distance with the small area where snow is falling allows it to escape radar.
kwillg6
October 21, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,074 posts
That makes perfect sense. We used to do the shoe a lot and would look for a strong front coming through to know for certianty that we were getting heavy lake effect there. Very localized but still significant.
fishnski
October 21, 2009
3,530 posts
Charleston,WV Radar works allright for the shoe..not the best though. I Ck out the Pitt & the Charleston 1st to get an Idea & then I will look at the Sterling,VA Radar to see if any snow is spilling over the hidden Highlands..Dolly Sods Cam is very helpful!
Also,if you happen to see the hole fill in on intellicast,accu...U know its coming down pretty good!
SCWVA
October 21, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Originally Posted By: Denis
I really did intend to get in some junkboard turns this weekend. .......

To make a long story short, I wimped - bailed. Shame. Shame. Oh well, next time the ground will be colder.

Denis,

I fully expected to see a TR from you this weekend. I was quite jealous, until I saw your post. Hope you feel better soon.

Who's getting first turns this year????

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.