No National Ski & Snowboard Expo in 2009 ?
11 posts
8 users
7k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
August 22, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
'Just purchased my Snowtime season's pass today and noticed this statement on Liberty's website:

Please Note: The Washington, DC Ski Expo has been cancelled this year. There will not be the opportunity to purchase or have your pass printed at that event as in past years

Has anyone else heard about plans for the Expo? It certainly hasn't received rave reviews on this board, but I held out hope for improvement....

Woody
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 22, 2009
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
According to their web site, it looks like there might be only one National Ski and Snowboard Expo, in Harrisburg, PA October 16-18.
scootertig
August 23, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Where will we get to see the new WM flick?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 23, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
As far as I'm concerned, no big deal. Ever since they took it out of mass transit distance, I'd rather go to Ski Chalet or Washington Ski Center to get my latest ski news and gear.

Besides, between DCSki and Epic I get most of the good ski news anywhere. Who needs to brave I-66 traffic to get an ephemeral view at the up-incoming ski news?
Steve
August 25, 2009
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Oddly enough, my wife and I had planned a little weekend getaway to Hershey on those very days. Let's see, ski equipment and PA beer (Lancaster Brewing Co.). Could be a worse way to spend some time. And I might get my free Whitetail tickets.

I'd gone to Dulles the last couple of years more for free magazines and lift tickets than equipment. But the girls giving away the Red Bull were fun to watch as well.

Steve
BaronJeff
September 1, 2009
Member since 09/1/2009 🔗
2 posts
The fact that it is going to be in the Capital City Mall in
Harrisburg, PA is a bit disappointing. It had gone down a little bit in recent years. It was always a good pre-season event to watch a Warren Miller film. Maybe it is just because of the fact that we live on the fringe of northeast ski country.
scootertig
September 1, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Is that going to be our best bet at free lift tickets? Does the location probably mean the tix will be for Poconos areas instead of Wintergreen, Wisp, etc?

aaron
Jeremy
September 9, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
73 posts
Boy that stinks. We always plan a big ski trip each year with friends and count on the lift tickets from the expo, it's also a great way to get in the mood for skiing by going there.

I guess all the people who are always bad mouthing the event got their wish...
SCWVA
September 28, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Originally Posted By: Jeremy
Boy that stinks.......

I guess all the people who are always bad mouthing the event got their wish...

Agreed! Thanks you bunch of whiners!!!! mad mad

I would take my kids along with some neighborhood kids to the event to watch the Warren Miller flicks. Most had never seen a ski movie, let alone a Warren Miller flick. Good way to introduce kids to skiing, plus I always seemed to find a deal or two on equipment at the Expo.

Does anyone have anymore info on the Harrisburg Expo?
Jeremy
September 29, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
73 posts
The information I got was that the expo was in a mall in Harrisburg. There would be no lift tickets given out because you do not need to pay to get in. No movie either. I'm not sure about anything else although the person I talked to said that they are sorry it's not in DC this year and they "hope to see me next year in DC"

I'm not sure if that last part means that they are planning on being in DC next year and hope to see me there...or if they hope they can return to DC next year where I am smile
Steve
October 18, 2009
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Originally Posted By: Steve
Oddly enough, my wife and I had planned a little weekend getaway to Hershey

OK, we dropped by the mall on the way home. This was even lamer than I thought it could be. Stowe, Blue Knob, Blue Mountain, Elk, Wisp, 7Springs, and of course Sno Time ( I bought my Advantage Card), and some local retailer brought our a few things. No free tickets. No movie.

Don't expect the ski expo to survive.

BTW, Harrisburg is a neat town with a bunch of nice bars and restaurants clustered around the State Capitol. The Hilton had Hop Devil on draft, how bad could it be. Just wish the weather had not sucked so much. Didn't need the big truck, but it didn't stop raining till 11:00 AM Sunday.

Steve

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?