Dolly Sods ~15 Mile Loop
8 posts
5 users
3k+ views
David
June 29, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Well, I haven't been to the Sods since last summer. It was time for a trip.

Saturday afternoon 2 friends of mine and I headed up to the Sods. We hung out Saturday evening and hiked most of the day on Sunday. Although I would have rather done an overnight trip in the backcountry, I still haven't accumulated all of the gear needed to do a backcountry trip. This meant that we had to car camp. This is a huge bummer because we were forced to eat steak for dinner and have a nice big breakfast that consisted of bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes. Dang frown

We ended up sleeping in Sunday morning and made it to the trailhead by 11:30. We first started on Blarkbird Knob Trail. The eastern trailhead is right off of Forest Road 75. We followed this trail about 3 miles out until it met up with Harman Knob Trail. This trail was extremely scenic as we walked up through plenty of flowering heath. Even saw a very small green snake (not sure what kind it was....cellular biology is more of my gig). We then picked up Rocky Ridge Trail, which we backtracked about 200 yards on to a meadow with a wide open view of Canaan Valley. On the ridge we found a trail that followed the top of Cabin Mountain on the Canaan side, just right above the houses you can see from Timberline. After making it to the far south of this trail we got some really nice views of a green Timberline. We then got back on Rocky Ridge Trail and took it all of the way to Raven Ridge trail. This trail was pretty cool because it was different in all places. Lots of thick spruce forests, open meadows, hardwood forests, and wide open heath meadows. At the end of this trail we met up with Dobbin Grade Trail and used it to get to Upper Red Creek Trail. This trail was a neat connector back to Blackbird Knob Tail. After we got back to the trail it was only a 2 mile hike back to the car.

All together it took us about 7 hours to travel around 15 miles. Our legs and feet were sure feeling it when we got back. I couldn't imagine if we would have had tons of elevation change.

This was a great trip and I would highly recommend it. I would also recommend that you do it as an overnight hike. 15 miles is a lot of hike in one day. After about the 10-12 mark it starts to feel more like work.

The plan is Muttley's this Thursday night (assuming the still have the $1.10/ounce steak) and a 12-15 mile Roaring Plains shuttle hike on Friday. Anyone up for it? Get a hold of me. Make sure you have comfy boots!!!

I'll post some pictures here in a bit smile

Here is the album:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/573291711vgBJFi?start=0

Here are some of the highlights:

Sunset at Bear Rocks

Mmmmm, beef

The finished product

Blackbird Knob Trail

Harman Knob Trail

Relaxing and enjoying the view of Timberline and Canaan Valley

Rocky Ridge Trail

Crunchy has been here!!

Raven Ridge Trail

Working Hard

fishnski
June 30, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I was camped out at my camp up at 3000'..."Cheering"..you on!
David
June 30, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
I was camped out at my camp up at 3000'..."Cheering"..you on!

Will be back by this coming Thurs/Fri. You be around??
fishnski
June 30, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Maybe towards the end of August....lots of work on my Campsite up there!......I see they have just added the Roaring Plains to the Wilderness list....

http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/200906250487
SCWVA
June 30, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Nice pics. Wish I was there. The mountains are unbelievably green this year, Greenest I've seen it in a long time.

I was thinking about doing the Thursday nite locals ride in Davis, but I'm not sure if I can get there in time. But who needs to ride when you've got $1/lb steaks to be eaten. grin
David
June 30, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
I was thinking about doing the Thursday nite locals ride in Davis, but I'm not sure if I can get there in time. But who needs to ride when you've got $1/lb steaks to be eaten. grin

Get a hold of me if you are going to make it up that way. It would be cool to meet up, even if it is just to share in the tasty delight of $1.10 beef...
langleyskier
June 30, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
did not want to hijack the thread so I created a new TR thread, but I probably drove past yall. My friends and I did a 17 mile loop (according to GPS) driving up sat morning and coming back sunday night.
crunchy
July 2, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
haha. not my tracks! i haven't ridden in the sods for a few weeks at least. -> sods ride viddy ... sods rides viddy1 smile
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.