Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Ha ha, but we'll see who laughs last.
JohnL
April 28, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Flushed one out.

Without Googling, who were Syl Apps Jr. LW and RW?
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
April 29, 2009
2,038 posts
Wow, that goes back way before I started following hockey. I wasn't even a Steelers fans back in my high school days when Apps came to the Pens. It was the early '70s and other things were on my mind. I guess you're the better hockey fan so I give up.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Coworker was in Verizon Center last night. Said it was pretty lackluster until the Caps came to life in third period, then bedlam after go-ahead goal.

Said previous to that, highlight was watching O's Russian girlfriend strut to her box seats with O's family.
GGNagy
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I just checked the various bird spotters guides, and there is no mention of a bird called a "capital", demonstrating that Washington fans are still delusional, and have been since Luc Robitaille broke their souls one night in 1995.

The Syl Apps Jr is quite ironic as I commented to a red-bedecked officemate that Donald Brashear was following in the fine playoff standard blazed by Dale Hunter, and his response was "who"? Once I explained, he said "oh that was last century".. see the double irony there. smile
David
April 29, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
GO PENS!!!

RobertW
April 29, 2009
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
Didn't have to Google....I was a season ticket holder back when the "Igloo" was sold out (rarely) at about 10,500.

Lowell McDonald (RW) and Jean Pronovost (LW)...The Century line.

Sweater numbers were (I think) 26 (Apps), 9 (Pronovost..I think he may have had another earlier but I don't remember) and 18 (MCdonald). smile
JohnL
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Lowell McDonald (RW) and Jean Pronovost (LW)...The Century line.

Sweater numbers were (I think) 26 (Apps), 9 (Pronovost..I think he may have had another earlier but I don't remember) and 18 (MCdonald). smile

Sweet!

The other named line from that era that jumps out at me is The French Connection Line of Buffalo: Gil Perrault, Rick Martin, Rene Robert.

Sports had more personality back then. When was the last time a hockey line had a name and actually played together for more than a season or two?

Some other notables:
The Production Line: Gordie Howe, Sid Abel and ?
The Bruins line of Esposito, Hodge, Cashman had to have had a name...
Ditto Lemaire, Shutt and LaFleur.
JohnL
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Motherload: Named Hockey Lines

I thought it might have been Ted Lindsay on the Production Line.
RobertW
April 29, 2009
199 posts
I don't remember the Esposito/Hodge/Cashman line having a name but they were all Big (200 + lbs) for the time. And Cashman could dig a puck out of the corner like no one else.

The Penguins used to have "The Kid Line" during the Apps era but I can only remember Wayne Bianchin...
RobertW
April 29, 2009
199 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Motherload: Named Hockey Lines

I thought it might have been Ted Lindsay on the Production Line.

Great site! They even list the Hanson Brothers "checking line"
JohnL
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Pens-Caps should be a great series. Any team that eliminates the goons from Philly is not too bad in my book.

I was a Whalers fan until 97 or so, until they left Hartford. So I hate Dale Hunter (from the Quebec days especially) and actually rooted a bit for the Pens in the early 90's (Francis, Samuelson) because of the Hartford connections.

But I've been rooting for the Caps since, through good times (98 and the past two years) and the underachieving to horrific (the later Wilson, Cassidy and Hanlon years.)

Rock the Red!

I'll take a bet with any fellow poster: ski one day next season in the opposing teams jersey (or hat etc.) if your team loses. Pictures and video allowed.
hockeydave
April 29, 2009
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Quote:
The Penguins used to have "The Kid Line" during the Apps era but I can only remember Wayne Bianchin...

I believe Chuck Arnason & Greg Malone (Ryan's Dad) were the other linemates.

Huge Pens fan, but, I feel awfully bad (tongue firmly planted in cheek) that the Caps always seem to lose/choke/gag/blow a series to the Guins. grin
fishnski
April 29, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Thers a storm brewin down here in the carolinas....
JohnL
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Thers a storm brewin down here in the carolinas....

Looks like it may blow out to sea. wink
GGNagy
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I recall the Recchi/Cullen/Stevens line being called the option line when they were all in their option year and put up big numbers. I wore 8 in my college club hockey days even though he was a filthy stinkin flyer by then.

Set in stone lines became less common as situational play became more and more important. Much more focus on sniper/setup guy with an interchangable third.
rbrtlav
April 29, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Looking forward to this series, hoping that there are less conflicts than in the Rangers Series. But I'm glad to see one of the local teams making it to the second round of the playoffs. ROCK THE RED!!!
SCWVA
April 29, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
So do you think the Pens fans will have an issue with me standing up in the Igloo during next Wednesday's game and yelling C-A-P-S, Caps, Caps, Caps?
Roger Z
April 29, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Wait... the Whalers left Hartford??? Dear goodness, has it been a while since I've watched hockey.

This is like a few years ago when I heard that Nashville and some other place had a basketball team, and I thought the folks were talking about COLLEGE basketball.

And, just to complete the trifecta, when I was in El Salvador a few weeks ago my father-in-law was shocked that I wasn't interested in the baseball games (baseball is a big deal in E.S., who knew). Though I think I know most of the cities that have baseball teams. Maybe.

The Bruins are still in Boston, right? On the rare occasion I see the Bruins playing (usually when I'm at a bar, midwinter, drinking, and there's a hockey game to concentrate on behind the din, because let's face it, a man will watch anything that's a sport, which ESPN knows, which is why we are subjected to the idiocy of watching five guys sit around a table betting on cards because that's a "sport", uh-huh) I always thought I was watching Boston. I am, right???
April 29, 2009
2,038 posts
Originally Posted By: SCWVA
So do you think the Pens fans will have an issue with me standing up in the Igloo during next Wednesday's game and yelling C-A-P-S, Caps, Caps, Caps?

Chant away but you'll take some good natured ribbing, no need to fear for your life like you would in the City of Brotherly Love. It won't do a bit of good because Fleury will shut the door no matter how much Ovie dances. Our Russian will out score him ....again.

I'll take that bet JohnL, you'd look good as a flightless bird.

Roger, Bruins are still in Boston.
David
April 30, 2009
2,444 posts
Wow, it's getting heated on here...... I like it!! smile smile
GGNagy
April 30, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Johns bet is a sucker bet. In Black n gold he'll just blend in. Anyone dressed as a current caps fan would stand out on the slopes like a baboon butt.

Anyone check to see if uncle tweddie still has his little 412/724 ticket purchase block up to prevent more "igloo east" events?
April 30, 2009
2,038 posts
Yes GGN, that is such a lame move. If the locals won't support the team, block the rivals from negating home ice. It doesn't matter because Pens Nation is about as widespread as Steelers Nation and growing fast. There will be lots of black and Gold at the.... what do they call the Cap's home ice.... The Fed Bailout Center?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JohnL
April 30, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Johns bet is a sucker bet. In Black n gold he'll just blend in.

Only if I'm taking beginner's lessons; how to put on your skis 101 without getting your jeans and Starter jacket muddy.

Quote:
Anyone check to see if uncle tweddie still has his little 412/724 ticket purchase block up to prevent more "igloo east" events?

You clearly have not been to a Caps game in the last two years. It's by far the toughest ticket in town. Nothing but red in the stands.
GGNagy
April 30, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

The New York Jets called, they want their lame chant back and said to get your own.
GGNagy
April 30, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Quote:
Johns bet is a sucker bet. In Black n gold he'll just blend in.

Only if I'm taking beginner's lessons; how to put on your skis 101 without getting your jeans and Starter jacket muddy.

Better than the AOLers that won't leave the lodge and risk missing a twitter from teddy or the oviecam.

Quote:
Quote:

You clearly have not been to a Caps game in the last two years. It's by far the toughest ticket in town. Nothing but red in the stands.

Funny, but I have heard Laughlin shill game packages this year all the time.
JohnL
April 30, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
This is like a few years ago when I heard that Nashville and some other place had a basketball team, and I thought the folks were talking about COLLEGE basketball.

Roger,

Nashville has a pro basketball team? You thinking about Memphis? Or am I spazzing out?

Believe it or not, Nashville has an NHL team.
David
April 30, 2009
2,444 posts

You had me rollin' on that one. That was a good one.

But I can say that at Tline I didn't see too much Black and Yellow taking beginner lessons (anywhere actually). Here in West By God we ski in two other colors: Camo and Carhart Brown!!!
David
April 30, 2009
2,444 posts
John, here a nice shot of your boy:

rbrtlav
April 30, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
The Verizon center. I have been looking at tickets to go, but as of now it seems to be easier to find tickets for the games at the igloo, it will be RED not Black and Gold.
jonjon1
April 30, 2009
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
The photo comparison is hilarious!

Luckily looks don't matter in hockey -- if anything Ovie has got a nice "hockey face".
Roger Z
April 30, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Memphis has a PRO basketball team? Isn't losing the NCAA Tourney enough for those hacks???
JohnL
May 1, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Memphis has a PRO basketball team? Isn't losing the NCAA Tourney enough for those hacks???

Rumor has it the college team was paid better than the NBA team...
JohnL
May 1, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
David,

Good one on the photos. I'll give you that.

Jaws is actually not a bad comparison to Ovie. He loves to hit as much as he loves to score. (Fortunately he doesn't like to bite.) A bit of Gordie Howe in him.

CgNagy, Rob,

Talked to a several of my hockey teammates last night; mebbe 100 Rags fans in the stands for each game this past playoff series. I know I saw nothing but Red on the tube. (Between skiing and ice hockey during the winter, tough for me to be a ticket holder.) No need for Teddy to black out any area/zip codes for playoff purchases the past two years; all the tix are going to current and next year's season tix holders. Caps are taking advantage and pimping packages for next year (limiting amount of playoff tix that go to this year's season tix holders.)

Speaking of blacking out area/zip codes for playoff tix, word on the street is that Pittsburgh did it last year. They were just quiet about it....

Good one on the Twitter comment. I guess it's the medium for those whose attention span is too short for the web. Scary thought.

Surprised there has been no mention of Semin's "bongo drum" fight this past year. Even as a Caps fan, funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Anyhoo, hopefully it is a series that helps put the NHL back on the major networks more regularly.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
May 1, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
David,

Good one on the photos. I'll give you that.

Jaws is actually not a bad comparison to Ovie. He loves to hit as much as he loves to score. (Fortunately he doesn't like to bite.) A bit of Gordie Howe in him.

Gordie Howe was well known for his dry wit as well as his superb hockey skills. He once said, "I always played biblical hockey. It is better to give than to receive."
jonjon1
May 2, 2009
187 posts
Good start for the Caps!! Nice to see them win a close game again.
David
May 2, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: jonjon1
Good start for the Caps!! Nice to see them win a close game again.

mad mad
JohnL
May 2, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
The save! cool

Great day for Washington sports fans. I had freebie second row seats to see a rare win by the Nationals. crazy Caught the end of the hockey game at the Red Loft in centerfield. Watching the game now on DVR. Lots of mistakes by both teams but an exciting game.

Mebbe Sid vs Alex will do for the NHL what Magic vs Bird did for College B-Ball. Here's hoping.
Adamh21 - DCSki Supporter 
May 3, 2009
Member since 12/4/2008 🔗
26 posts
C A P S
JohnL
May 3, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Looks like the storm that started out in North Carolina is picking up strength over New England.
JohnL
May 3, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I'll be Rocking the Red south of Chinatown in Section 118 tomorrow!
GGNagy
May 4, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Congratulations to you caps fans, your team is 25% of the way there. Then again, the Rangers were 75% of the way there last round. How'd that work for them? smile
rbrtlav
May 4, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
It seems like this game is only on Versus, does anybody know if that is true? If so any webcasts of the game?
David
May 4, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: rbrtlav
It seems like this game is only on Versus, does anybody know if that is true? If so any webcasts of the game?

Hopefully this will be up and running in a little bit. I've watched a few WVU games on it before, when I couldn't find them anywhere else. Good luck!

GO PENS!!

http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports/hockey?order=hot&lang=en
David
May 4, 2009
2,444 posts
rbrtlav
May 4, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Thank you, I ended up walking to the sports bar just off campus for periods 2 and 3, it was completely worth it.
jonjon1
May 4, 2009
187 posts
Caps are now 50% of the way there!!

Any nervous Pens fans yet??

Still a long way to go.
JohnL
May 4, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
My voice hasn't been this dead since my rock concert days. The Fury Was Unleashed tonight @ the Phone Booth. (If you've been to a Caps game, you'll know what I mean.)

Not close to being over yet. Caps have held serve. A big hold it was. Serve goes back to the Pens.

First time I've seen Crosby live. Helluva hockey player. Gritty, very nice skating and passing in tight spaces around the net. Though I'll enjoy booing him at every chance. grin

Ovie doesn't suck too badly. cool

Caps still getting outplayed and out hustled during stretches. Varlamov is the difference. Gutsy move by Boudreau. Turns out BB's son plays on the same youth hockey team as my goalie's son.
May 4, 2009
2,038 posts
Varlamov is the difference.

Pens have really controlled both games early but Varlamov is the one who has shut the door. Pens forwards have got to find the back of the net. Crosby can't do it all.

Boo Sid all you want but it's nice to see you appreciate his game.
GGNagy
May 6, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
All those picks and interference work seems to be working in Ovechkins favor, so I wonder if the Caps will be dusting off the flying V from the Mighty Ducks any time soon. Banana Blade Boy needs more space cleared to shoot.

Pissed at the Refs for the bad calls? Yep.
Pissed at the Pens for not making some adjustments based on game 1 tape? yes
Pissed at Dan for leaving Sykora in the lineup? Yes.
Nervous about the Choking Dogs being up 2-0? Don't think so.

Varlamov has been good in goal, I'll give him that, but so was Jim Carey, Net Detective... how'd that work out in the end?
rbrtlav
May 6, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
There have been some rough calls going both ways, there were cross checking and interference calls missed on both sides of the puck.

Let's Go Caps!!!
David
May 6, 2009
2,444 posts
Ole Ovi did a little acting atleast one time to get an interference call.... Gosh I can't stand him!
May 6, 2009
2,038 posts
Here's a part of my post over on epic concerning refs and penalties in response to Taylormatt's post before. You can add Kunitz cheap shot to the list:

Talking about bad calls, non-calls or soft calls in hockey is just a waste of time. They are a part of the game therefore just one more obstacle on the way to victory. At times the Pens have benefited from questionable calls and other times it has worked against them. Suck it up and play harder and take advantage of the breaks you get. The Pens had a power play with the score tied but fail to get the go ahead.

Ovie took a dive and got a call. Letang did get the puck first and one you didn't mention that caused a face off that created a rush that gave the Caps a goal; Gill kept the puck onside but was call offside. The puck never crossed the blue paint. I'm sure some Caps fans can list a bunch of questionable calls...... Bad calls happen, it's how you respond that matters.
therusty
May 6, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Originally Posted By: Laurel Hill Crazie
.... what do they call the Cap's home ice.... The Fed Bailout Center?

Verizon Center - aka the Phone Booth
David
May 6, 2009
2,444 posts
Finally! Got to thinking that one wasn't going to end good. How bout that Malkin? He finally looked pretty good...
rbrtlav
May 6, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Wow what a game, I am a Caps fan, but that score shows no resemblance to how that game went. Varly was the only reason we were still in that game, incredibly frustrating to watch, nonetheless very exciting.
jonjon1
May 7, 2009
187 posts
Too many Caps penalties -- they've got to be more disciplined, it felt like they were playing half the game shorthanded. I feel some consolation that even though the Pens had way more power plays, the Caps looked sluggish on offense, and the Pens looked sharper, it still went to overtime. If Varly keeps playing like he is, the Caps will be tough to beat.
May 8, 2009
2,038 posts
I just lost all respect for Ovechkin.
fishnski
May 8, 2009
3,530 posts
Looks like the storm that started out in North Carolina is picking up strength over New England.

Just hit HURRICANE strength...Bruins are skating on thin ice!
David
May 8, 2009
2,444 posts
Yeah Baby!! Here come the Pens!!
hockeydave
May 9, 2009
780 posts
The officiating in this year's playoffs has been so bad. And I'm including all playoff series. Putting the whistle in the pocket at the end of last night's game was a joke. Reminds me of the bad old days when Ron Hoggarth and Denis Morel swallowed their whistles in the 3rd period.
SCWVA
May 9, 2009
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
You Pittsburgh fans take your sports a bit too seriously.

Death Threat
David
May 9, 2009
2,444 posts

Death Threat

That was a 17 year old boy. Probably hasn't even seen an ice rink before. Too busy playing World of Warcraft.
RobertW
May 9, 2009
199 posts

Death Threat

This idiot was from Chambersburg which is closer to DC than to Pittsburgh.

I'm with LHC. I was actually thinking that Ovechkin was turning into a class guy in the playoffs.....And then he throws that cheap shot and says he really didn't mean to hurt Gonchar. What a load of crap.
David
May 9, 2009
2,444 posts
It's getting good now!! Won't be long til the Pens are on to the next round!!
kwillg6
May 11, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I caught the last period while eating ribs and swilling IPA in the pub after cutting grass at the Bonner Mountain Resort Hotel on Saturday. The Caps are really playing like s#!t. The pens should wrap it up tonight. grin
David
May 11, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
I caught the last period while eating ribs and swilling IPA in the pub after cutting grass at the Bonner Mountain Resort Hotel on Saturday. The Caps are really playing like s#!t. The pens should wrap it up tonight. grin

That's the spirit!!

How's the Bonner Mtn Resort Hotel doing? I sure do miss that place!!
kwillg6
May 11, 2009
2,066 posts
Things are fine at the Resort. Gotta do some work there this summer that I've ben putting off. It should be good for another season come December. smile
David
May 11, 2009
2,444 posts
Yeah, sucks I won't be able to be a resort member this year. Hopefully I will still be able to make it up for a visit a couple times atleast.
May 13, 2009
2,038 posts
I really hope it's not too soon to rub it in but John, I'll have a Crosby 87 sweater for you next season.
David
May 13, 2009
2,444 posts
Wow, I lost interest in that game half way through the 2nd period. I almost felt bad for the Caps, especially the fans who spent tons of money on tickets to see a game 7 showdown. Almost....

Please make sure it is a weekend that I'm in the Valley. I've gotta see JohnL sporting a Pens jersey.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 14, 2009
2,964 posts
Dang. What's it gonna take for this town to get over the sports hump? I read that DC is the last city with three or more major pro sports teams to make a championship final. Thankful I have my memories of Joe Gibbs the First and His Superbowl victories.
GGNagy
May 14, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I'm not saying any more lest the Caps fans 'sic the police on me for "torture" :P
May 14, 2009
2,038 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
Dang. What's it gonna take for this town to get over the sports hump? I read that DC is the last city with three or more major pro sports teams to make a championship final. Thankful I have my memories of Joe Gibbs the First and His Superbowl victories.

There's your answer, all DC sports needs is a player strike shorten season and a restart with a bunch of scrubs. That should lower the competition enough. grin

Really, I thought that after the Caps won game 6 it was over for the Pens. Varly was fantastic and Ovie while carrying the team was finally getting some secondary scoring.

This is the stuff that good rivalries are made of and I hope that Pittsburgh teams always best MD and DC teams. I bleed black and gold except when it comes to the Pirates. That team is beyond pity and the business model of both the team and MLB stinks.
jonjon1
May 14, 2009
187 posts
At least the Caps got some good playoff experience this year. Yesterday's game showed how much they need it -- they came out looking scared and never recovered.
JohnL
May 14, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
I really hope it's not too soon to rub it in but John, I'll have a Crosby 87 sweater for you next season.

If it helps my game, I'll wear Crosby 87 for my ice hockey games this summer. smile Very impressive series. Sid is definitely the most complete (not necessarily the best) hockey player in the NHL.

Congrats to the Pens on the win. I'm as surprised as anyone that the Caps folded like they did in game 7. Though I think the collapse will help the Caps in the long run. They continue to have some limiting weaknesses (lack of discipline wrt penalties, too many turnovers, occasional poor position play by the D in the neutral zone, inconsistent intensity.) They need more than one more year of seasoning, they need to add a few more players before they can challenge for The Cup.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
May 14, 2009
2,337 posts
I was very impressed with Crosby who I had not seen prior to this series. He is a more complete player than Ovechkin at this point, although I love Ovechkin's passion and explosiveness.

Tonight we'll see what my Bruins can do. Like the Caps they are a young team on the rise after quite a few years of being mediocre at best.

If a Canadian team can't win the Cup I'd like to see the winner be from a US city where every kid, boy or girl, grows up playing the game, like Boston or Detroit.
fishnski
May 14, 2009
3,530 posts
.....or Raleigh,NC cool....
JohnL
May 14, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Hurricanes == Whalers Lite grin
fishnski
May 14, 2009
3,530 posts
Ran into a little windshear but the Storm is now a full fledged Hurricane..going to be some ruffled Penguin feathers!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
May 15, 2009
2,337 posts
A hard fought series by both teams; well done. Right now I feel like I imagine someone from North Carolina would feel if a driver from Massachusetts won the NASCAR championship.
May 15, 2009
2,038 posts
Denis, NC has a one in four chance to win the Cup. Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh are the other teams. Rest assured that Pittsburgh is a hockey town. The Pens have sold out the last two seasons and have thousands on the waiting list for season ticket. In fact the Pens have been named the third fastest growing professional sports franchise and have created the best TV ratings to date for FSN. Hockey is more popular in Pittsburgh now then when Lemieux led the Pens to two Stanley Cups in the '90s. Hockey moms and dads often get out of bed at 4 AM to get their kids off to hockey practice and routinely travel 100 miles to watch their kids play. No need to establish the hockey credential of Detroit or Chicago.

No need to worry about the Hurricanes at all because they will not get passed the Pens.
David
May 15, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: Laurel Hill Crazie

No need to worry about the Hurricanes at all because they will not get passed the Pens.

I hope you are right!

This past series JohnL was the enemy. Now Andy is the enemy!!!
fishnski
May 15, 2009
3,530 posts
I have noticed that nobody calls the "PENGUINS" by there full name....its always ..Pittsburg or the pens...I like the "Hurricanes...don't y'all like the name "Penguins"?.. laugh whistle smirk cool
May 16, 2009
2,038 posts
It's spelled P-I-T-T-S-B-U-R-G-H with an H on the end but you'll know that by time this is all over. We're all OK with Penguins but from now on I'll call the Hurricanes the Hurrs instead of the Canes. I'd make a crack about how you pronounce it like 'her's' but that would be insulting to women.
jonjon1
May 16, 2009
187 posts
LOL -- normally I would say this is a no-brainer Pittsburgh winning the series. However, Carolina seems to be a team of destiny -- hockey definitely seems to be the major sport where "fortune" seems to play the greatest role.

Carolina also has some good playoff experience on their side -- something the Caps were lacking.
JohnL
May 16, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
LOL -- normally I would say this is a no-brainer Pittsburgh winning the series.

I dunno about that one. Pittsburg and Carolina were two of the hottest teams in the second half of the season. Plus it's a 4 vs 6 seed, so not a huge seeding mismatch. And Carolina beat Boston, who was arguably the toughest team heading into the playoffs. Should be a good one.

But since Pittsburg has the Caps number and Carolina stole my beloved Whalers, I'm rooting for a natural disaster taking out the arenas... wink Or maybe an entire state. Just leave Laurel Mountain and Blue Knob and Chapel Hill and the Outer Banks standing, and I won't care too much. (Tossing Tequila onto the fire.)

I've lost my bet. How about a David vs Andy bet? Andy drags a penguin statue to the top of MPC (dang birds can't fly) and David provides free health care for life? Or mebbe personal chef duties?
fishnski
May 16, 2009
3,530 posts
I used to live on "Trails End Rd"..Now I'm embarrased to say that I have moved to "Pelican point rd'...So I feel your Pain LHC eek...Anyway..Back in my DC Days I would go to a Caps game at the Cap Center sometimes once a week in season..now I must confess..& I'm sure you could tell by my stupid posts..that I really don't know what is going on except that the Hurricanes are working towards the Stanley cup for the 2nd time in the 10 years that I have lived in the Carolinas.I was just trying to start some Do Do cool.. I Know of an Eric Staal who has a brother on the bird team & our Goalie is supposed to be good..thats it..I'm going to pay more attention from now on.
jonjon1
May 16, 2009
187 posts
Meh, Pittsburgh went to the finals last year and Carolina didn't even make the playoffs. On paper I believe Pittsburgh to be a stronger team, and although Carolina has some good talent and has been strong the second half of the season, I believe them to be fortunate to be where they are.

As I said, the extra importance of fortune makes hockey even more interesting. I just think that this is where Carolina's fortune ends.
hockeydave
May 16, 2009
780 posts
Goaltending is the great equalizer in the playoffs and a hot goalie in the playoffs can lead a team to the Cup (e.g. Patrick Roy, Marty Brodeur, Jean-Sébastien Giguère, etc.). I think this series comes down to the 2 guys between the pipes and right now, I have to give a slight edge to Cam. Marc Andre makes the highlight reel saves, but tends to give up a shaky goal here and there. Ward right now looks like a rock. Should be a great series. Even with Ward in goal, I'm still picking the Pens in 7.

I wonder what team that yinzer Cowher is going to root for? Hopefully its his adopted hometown team of Carolina (I couldn't stand him when he was the Stillers head coach... always blamed the kicker or punter for a loss and a real classless act off the field too).

The Red Wings/Hawks series should be really good also. In the playoffs, the Wings seem to get away with a lot of obstruction that normally would be called in the regular season. They also seem to be aging in this playoff year. The young Hawks just might take them down.
JohnL
May 16, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Meh, Pittsburgh went to the finals last year and Carolina didn't even make the playoffs. On paper I believe Pittsburgh to be a stronger team, and although Carolina has some good talent and has been strong the second half of the season, I believe them to be fortunate to be where they are.

As I said, the extra importance of fortune makes hockey even more interesting. I just think that this is where Carolina's fortune ends.

Peace. Caps fans need to stick together. I get a little chippy when it comes to hockey. wink

It is pretty amazing that both the Pens and Canes are in this situation given how poorly they played the first half of the season. Have two teams ever met in the conference finals having fired their coaches earlier in the year?
David
May 16, 2009
2,444 posts
I've lost my bet. How about a David vs Andy bet? Andy drags a penguin statue to the top of MPC (dang birds can't fly) and David provides free health care for life? Or mebbe personal chef duties?

I meant to get you to take a bet for a 6 pack of Blue Moon on the Pens/Caps game. Once I remembered to ask you, the Caps were up 2-0 in the series. I kinda thought maybe it wasn't a good idea. I wish I wouldn't have backed out of that one.... eek
May 16, 2009
2,038 posts
I dunno about that one. Pittsburg ..........

But since Pittsburg .......

Damn, I think John is baiting me.
JohnL
May 17, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Damn, I think John is baiting me.

You can't spell "evil" without "John L." grin
JohnL
May 17, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
I wonder what team that yinzer Cowher is going to root for? Hopefully its his adopted hometown team of Carolina (I couldn't stand him when he was the Stillers head coach... always blamed the kicker or punter for a loss and a real classless act off the field too).

Does Cowher now have some Dook connection? One of his daughters?
JohnL
May 17, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Futility Cup this week. Pirates at Nationals for a four game series.
hockeydave
May 18, 2009
780 posts
Actually, he (Cowher) & his wife are NC State grads and I believe his wife is a North Carolina native. They moved to North Carolina immediately after his coaching/showering referees with saliva days were over in the Burgh.
GGNagy
May 18, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
It is Carolina hockey, for crying out loud. You can't hate em, but just feel sorry for them. smile

Since this is a conference championship, and Cowher goes to 'canes games and Tomlin goes to 'Pens games, lets look at their conference championship record.

Tomlin: 1 for 1 : 100%
Cowher: 2 for 6 : 033%
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
May 18, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
As an n.c. state grad also, I can vouch for Bill and the canes. Bill actually bought a house in Raleigh well before retiring, so the steelers could see it coming. Tomlin's impressive record has infinitely high variance, so one can't make any inference. Thus the p value for the hypothesis that the canes will win the series is more reliable. They also won the canes/devils series which has been proven to produce the eastern champion (which is a Bayesian construct, which is all the rage in modern statistics). Everyone said the Bruins were so much better also, but look where that got them.

Of course, I know nothing about these flightless birds other than everyone says they are sooo wonderful, so we'll see. Beers in the timberline pub next season on this.
May 27, 2009
2,038 posts
Who said Penguins can't fly? I think Cam Ward will tell you differently.
kwillg6
May 27, 2009
2,066 posts
What a GREAT time to get HOT!!!! 8 out of 9 games? Hope some of it rubs off on the hapless Pirates. Once again, the black and gold may make Pittsburgh the city of Champions. What was the year that it's professional sports teams last won the trifecta? Was it in'79? Has any other city done that?
Leo
May 27, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Sadly, my friend, I think the Pirates will make this feat impossible for the city of Pittsburgh. (For now anyways. But as they say, the sun don't shine on the same dog's a$$ all day. Maybe the Bucs will improve some time in the next decade or so).

Other city of champions candidates??

Florida had that collegiate run where they won football and basketball national titles. Only state to do that.

Did the RedSox ever win a World Series in the same year the Pats won the SB? The Celtics were decent some of those years, too, but I don't think all three ever won it all the same year.
GGNagy
May 27, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Trifecta?
The Pirates and Steelers were champs in 79, but the Pens lost to the bruins in the 2nd round of the playoffs, The Spirit lost in the playoffs and then took a one year hiatus, and the Pitt Panthers went 11-1, no Championship. Who is the third team you are thinking of?
Leo
May 27, 2009
356 posts
PS...what a tool:

hockeydave
May 28, 2009
780 posts
I've got another shaft for him to crank laugh

"Tool" is being kind; I wish this wasn't such a family friendly forum
GGNagy
May 28, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
my great uncle makes a face like that sometimes. We shout at him that he forgot to put in the lower half of his dentures when he does.
David
May 31, 2009
2,444 posts
So yeah, ugh....this sucks.
hockeydave
June 1, 2009
780 posts
Is it Groundhog Day?

Call me a whiner, but please explain how the Stanley Cup Finals permits "subtle" interference and the referees don't call it. This is the NHL's showcase and they let hockey turn back into the mid 90's Devils again. If it's a call during the regular season, it should be a call now. And that goes both ways. of course, Detroit is way more guilty!!!

Also, Osgood 2 - Fleury 0. If the Pens have a chance, Marc needs to step it up. He's given up at least 3 very questionable goals... unacceptable. The 3rd goal in each game were just back breakers. The Pens aren't getting any breaks with Osgood either; 3 posts last night.

I still think they're in it. But they have to win the next 2.
GGNagy
June 1, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
The calls in this game are what they are. We've been calling Refs blind for ages and they continue to demonstrate that they must be. I just wish their blindness didn't include the inability to rule on a non-goalie covering up the puck within the crease. That one is a no-brainer.

I expect more and better over the next 3 games.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 1, 2009
2,337 posts
Detroit's overall team speed, passing, and puck control are impressive. They attempt to turn every game into a track meet. If they succeed they generally win. Also, IMHO, these are the two best teams.
Leo
June 1, 2009
356 posts
After two games, this is how I see it:

Detroit is really good.
Detroit has gotten some lucky breaks.
Officiating has been poor both ways, but with Detroit benefiting at more critical junctures (like goal 1 and 2 last night).

That's a pretty steep hill for the Pens to climb. In my opinion, they pretty much have to take both game 3 and 4 in Pittsburgh if they want to have any chance.

crazy
hockeydave
June 1, 2009
780 posts
Just to make my point about lack of calls. Each team in the league averaged 4-5 power play opportunities per game during the regular season. How many power plays in the 1st 2 games? 1 or 2, I think. All of a sudden, the players are now choir boys? Gimme a break. Even Pierre & Eddie O (NBC announcers) were pointing out the non-calls. There should have been a penalty shot in each game (covering the puck in the crease). Lemieux was right, the NHL is a garbage league.
jonjon1
June 1, 2009
187 posts
I'm not counting the Pens out yet -- they haven't gotten much in the way of bounces and I don't know how many posts they've hit. It can change quickly -- unfortunately, they have no room to stumble in the next couple games.

Detroit does look really good, though. Makes me even more impressed with Anaheim's run in the playoffs.
June 1, 2009
2,038 posts
Detroit is great and will kill you when you make a mistake. Osgood has been better then Fluery. The refs suck as always, the number one reason hockey will always be a minor pro sport when it come to mass appeal.

I hate to see what this would be like if Dats and Draper were in it. I think the Pens are much better then last year but the Wings are still the best but the Pens still have a chance to prove otherwise.
David
June 1, 2009
2,444 posts
Ok, so I'm a little new to hockey. I think I've done a good job so far at picking up the game. The only thing that is beyond me is the art of substitution. I heard a lot of talk last night about how the Pens will have an advantage in substituting since they will be at home. Something about being able to substitute last?? I understand that the different lines come in together for a shift. What am I missing here??
June 1, 2009
2,038 posts
The home team gets the last line change per shift so they can better get match up to their liking. In Detroit the Wing would send out Zetterberg's line against Crosby's line. It is the big reason Crosby hasn't been as big a threat in this series you would expect. Back in Pittsburgh you will seldom see Zetterberg on the ice when Crosby is on.
hockeydave
June 1, 2009
780 posts
Quote:
The refs suck as always, the number one reason hockey will always be a minor pro sport when it come to mass appeal.

Hey Rob, on this comment I will take some issue. Due its fast pace and subjectivity of the calls, ice hockey, without question, is the toughest sport to officiate. After the lockout the league has done a great job eliminating the crap that plagued it since NJ instituted the dreaded trap marinated with clutch & grab for good measure. They gave strict guidelines to the refs on what constitutes a hook, a slash, a hold and obstructive interference. And for the most part, the refs have done a great job enforcing it and the game has been the better for it. Now, for some reason, during the Stanley Cup Final, the supposedly best referees (based on merit), can't find it within themselves to call what would have obstruction calls in the regular season (e.g. Detroit's 1st goal last night was an obvious interference non-call). The game before, Zetterberg definitely grasped the puck while it was resting on Osgood's back while in the crease... no subjectivity involved, a penalty shot should have awarded. The league better gets its act together over the next 2 games. TV ratings for games 1 & 2 were up 30% over last year which really has to excite execs, but the refs have got to let the talent show (for both teams) and call the obvious (or in the case of Detroit, "subtle" interference). I know the league has a meeting with the refs before each game. Lets hope the refs don't influence more games by not making a call. Hopefully, the Igloo crowd will influence a call or 2. But in the end, it really comes down to Fleury playing better and the Pens converting their chances. Don't give up just yet.
jonjon1
June 1, 2009
187 posts
This conversation will be so much more intersting next year when the Caps are in the finals!!
June 1, 2009
2,038 posts

Dave, I know how the game has changed and for the better but the second part of your assertion proves there is a long way to go. I understand that refs will make bad calls and miss calls but there is still far to much subjectivity, hell down right whimsy in NHL officiating. How many Caps fans here are convinced that the league fixed the officiating because they wanted a Pen/Wings match up? When obvious calls are missed, perception like this continue. Officiating in the NHL may not be a total joke but it is laughable.

Originally Posted By: hockeydave
Now, for some reason, during the Stanley Cup Final, the supposedly best referees (based on merit), can't find it within themselves to call what would have obstruction calls in the regular season (e.g. Detroit's 1st goal last night was an obvious interference non-call). The game before, Zetterberg definitely grasped the puck while it was resting on Osgood's back while in the crease... no subjectivity involved, a penalty shot should have awarded. The league better gets its act together over the next 2 games. TV ratings for games 1 & 2 were up 30% over last year which really has to excite execs, but the refs have got to let the talent show (for both teams) and call the obvious (or in the case of Detroit, "subtle" interference). I know the league has a meeting with the refs before each game. Lets hope the refs don't influence more games by not making a call.
GGNagy
June 3, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Part of the lack of the penalty calls in the Finals is due to the Refs erroring on the side of letting play continue, so as to not be "The Guy" who made a questionable call that leads to a team win. There is so much more plausable deniability in "missing" an infraction or feeling the victim did not do enough to work through the infraction. Many times, commentators will talk about how the fact that the "victim" kept his feet moving/kept working at the puck made it an easy call.

What really sucks is finding the tipping point and getting up to it without getting over. The Penguins were much slower to do so. You also have to be aware and guard against embellishments that help sell the penality. The first PP opportunity for Detroit last night was a pretty weak cross check in an area where cross-checking can often be the "norm". It was sold by a reaction that made you wonder if the Detroit players spine was snapped in two.

While the game is much faster, I have a hard time buying that it is a greater excuse now, than in the past. For a long time, one Ref and 2 linesmen was the norm. There was also very little the linesmen could call. I would also think that the 20 some seconds of ice time for Eaton there at one point in the 1st was not "fast". Hey, I don't mind however, because he never touched the puck nor was involved in the play. smile smile smile

PS. I suspect the Caps won't be getting anywhere near the finals until the NHL recinds its Steroid use policy. Then again, it *IS* the NHL we are talking about. wink
GGNagy
June 3, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
btw.... anyone out there who has played in the Fri night pickup games at the Hagerstown Ice Complex? Trying to find out average attendance numbers, goalies vs shooter tutors, experience levels, etc.
jonjon1
June 4, 2009
187 posts
I'm gonna jinx the Pens and say they have this game in the bag. Two goal lead going into the third, no way they're gonna blow it. Great series on!
David
June 4, 2009
2,444 posts
As an anti-jinx I think they are going to blow it!!!
Leo
June 5, 2009
356 posts
So yes, it appears the Pens have settled in and are playing with A LOT more confidence.

The tick tack toe goal by Kunitz-Crosby-Kennedy was amazing, not to mention that short handed Staal goal (which undoubtedly was the turning point in the game). And once again, Malkin looked possessed.

Many of us said it on here, they had to take both games in the Burgh, which they did. It's definitely a series now.

grin
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 5, 2009
2,337 posts
Pittsburgh's second period last night was probably the best played period I have ever seen and I have watched the game for a long time.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 5, 2009
2,337 posts
Pittsburgh's second period last night was probably the best played period I have ever seen and I have watched the game for a long time.
June 5, 2009
2,038 posts
High compliments indeed, and from a Bruins fan too. This is the reason why the last few seasons the Igloo has been a total sell out and there were 10,000 fans outside watching on a big screen.

We will see if youth will be served. The Wings looked old and Draper's return was a non-factor. I don't think Dats can help out either.
Leo
June 8, 2009
356 posts
I suppose you just have to man up from time to time and admit that you got, well, let's call it "humbled."

I thought the sudden finding of the whistles by the officiating crew led to some pretty suspect calls considering the way the series had been called to that point. But I would never even begin to suggest that it cost the Pens the game. They just got whipped in every facet of the game.

So to keep this (suddenly silent) discussion going: do you think they can bounce back Tuesday with a win, or was the loss Saturday night a back breaker for the Pens?
scootertig
June 8, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the "back breaker" option...

aaron
GGNagy
June 9, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Was it game 4 or 5 that Chicago blew up last round? I wonder if someone has done statistical analysis of how games in the playoffs tend to be called. There are changes within a game how things get called, so why not over a series. There was still plenty of clutching and grabbing going on, just alot less of the more serious stuff from that commie red army.

I expect a Pittsbugh win tonight and a ton of whining from the two "women scorned" (McGuirre and Olyczk)
Leo
June 10, 2009
356 posts
So is the lack of comments due to the fact that Pens fans still haven't exhaled??

That's about as intense and nerve wracking as the last few minutes of a game possibly could be.
jonjon1
June 10, 2009
187 posts
I'm hoping that the Pens play like they did in game 7 against the Caps. Although the Red Wings will certainly not come out and play as scared as the Caps did in that game, I'm still taking some resolve from the way the Pens did play in that game, and therefore thinking this may be a close game that could go either way.

Come on Caps fans!! We gotta pull for the team that beat us in 7 (with a couple of OT wins along the way!).
David
June 12, 2009
2,444 posts
YES!!!!!!!
June 13, 2009
2,038 posts
Elvis has just left the building.

GGNagy
June 13, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
still up andd wired/buzzzzed......
YeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa

and to go full circle and finish the "smackdown"....

Whats that name going on the Conn Smythe?

It certainly doesn't begin with "O"

smile smile smile
jonjon1
June 13, 2009
187 posts
I am happy for the Pens.

And as I mentioned earlier, it makes me feel better about how close the Caps are to having a championship caliber team.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 13, 2009
2,964 posts
Western PA sports fans, enjoy it. Reigning NFL and NHL champs. Doesn't get any better than that. laugh
David
June 13, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
Western PA sports fans, enjoy it. Reigning NFL and NHL champs. Doesn't get any better than that. laugh

Hey Jim, it does!! We need the Pirates to take the World Series now!!!

....Ok, so maybe that's asking for the impossible, but still confused

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.